PDA

View Full Version : I need paint! (In aerosol form)

oddball
06-20-2010, 10:00 PM
I smoked my own taillights without taking them out. Everything was taped off and it went well for the most part. Unfortunately, the wind carried a few specs of black paint on my white car and I need to touch it up without putting a new thick layer of paint (so spraypaint). It's the Dover Pearl White, code W69, thing is, Mitsu. wants like $80 for a 5oz can of paint, not gon happen. I read in another forum that the Dodge Stratus uses the same paint, and somebody used duplicolors Pearl White, code 1616, to match it, and it was pretty much the same.

Sound legit?

If not, what do yall think I should do?

The_fresh_Galant
06-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Try Paintscratch.com........12oz color match can kit is like 30-45 bucks.

beam514
06-20-2010, 10:27 PM
If you go to a Sherwin Williams (or local paint store) with a paint sample, they should be able to whip up a concoction for you. how bad is it though? I'm wondering if you would be able to just buff it out a little

RedGalant2k1
06-21-2010, 12:09 AM
You should try using a clay bar first, BEFORE trying to repaint the car. A clay bar removes surface contaminants, and may be all you need.

Censee
06-21-2010, 12:38 AM
yeah man dont paint over with more paint....try taking it off first...that happened to me awhile ago and i took it off with mineral spirits.then wash the car....or if u feel confortable with sanding, i used like the thinnest sandpaper and wetsanded then polished and it came right off..

oddball
06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Is there any discrepancy with the fact that it's VHT nightshades? (different base, might soak in differently?) The splattered paint doesn't feel raised, that's why I'm asking?

And can someone else vouch for the clay bar idea or the light sanding? ...I don't want to buy materials from one suggestion. (no offense)

Also, I need to fill in a few really small dings on the hood and some other assorted places? Is there some way to go about that other than painting?

oddball
06-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Hey Red and Censee.
Thank You!

I used a 180 grit painter's sandpaper bar and it worked like a charm ;)
It looks as good as if not better than new!

TGC comes through again.
Member for life.

ericbla03
06-23-2010, 07:23 PM
wow. 180 grit is WAY too aggressive. If you are going to go the sandpaper route get some 1200 grit, or something close. Then you will need some rubbing compound to get the shine back.

But here is my suggestion, go to a body shop and i guarantee they wont charge you more than 20 to remove the overspray. it would take me less than 5 minutes with a buffer, or even some laquer thinner. if they tell you they need to repaint it, walk out, they are smoking crack.

beam514
06-23-2010, 08:12 PM
yea 180 grit would probably go down to the bare surface in seconds. you sure you used 180? lol

oddball
06-24-2010, 01:01 PM
Haha, sorry, 180 fine. I wouldn't do something that abrasive.

Ya, it worked out well, so thanks again.

polishmafia
06-24-2010, 01:24 PM
180 fine? What kind of sandpaper are you talking about?

02redgalant
06-24-2010, 01:57 PM
maybe he means 1800 grit

Joshua42007
06-24-2010, 02:28 PM
But here is my suggestion, go to a body shop and i guarantee they wont charge you more than 20 to remove the overspray. it would take me less than 5 minutes with a buffer, or even some laquer thinner. if they tell you they need to repaint it, walk out, they are smoking crack.[/QUOTE]

Lmao. yeah a lot of auto body shops smoke crack, so you gotta watch out for them.

Stewi
06-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Here is your order. First, try prepsol aka wax & grease remover, or even rubbing alcohol on a terry or microfiber cloth, next try a claybar with specific claybar lubricant, if that doesnt work, wetsand on a block with 1800 grit then polish with compound. If you wetsand YOU MUST USE A BLOCK or else the clear will be wavy from the imprint of your fingers. Make sure the sandpaper is soaked in warm water for like 10 minutes before you use it.