PDA

View Full Version : Car starts, shuts off...

jusunknown
06-21-2010, 03:37 PM
O, so heres what's happening...

I changed my radiator, thermostat and coolant today. The radiator that I took out today, wouldnt hold pressure, so I bought a new radiator and figured i might as well flush the system and change the thermostat. I also cleaned the throttle body, covered any electrical connections and wiped everything down. I didnt put anything back to make sure everything was dry. I waited approx 20 minutes, put it together and the car started just fine. No probelms anywhere. Car was running fine.

About an hour later, went for a drive and noticed a leak from the timing belt cover, and i knew 1 of 2 things are bad, the water pump seal or the water pump.

Now here is the issues, upon start, it turns over, rpm reads at approx 1200-1500, then shuts off almost immediatley.

What in the world can it be?

Oh and I scanned the car, no trouble codes, no issues or anything everything seems to be fine...

Thanks in advance

jimmy_o2
06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
it should be trowing a code if it shuts off might wanna try it again or couple of time

i would suggest u double check what u done and make sure everything is correct

another possibility u might have gotten something in a sensor while u where cleaning the throttle body

just my thoughts

jusunknown
06-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I scanned it. Turned the car on and off a few times. I kept scanning, and nothing popped up. I went back and triple checked all connections, cleaned them made sure there werent any obstruction or dirt. Checked all vacuum lines, and pretty much anything I figured could be an issue. All I see is the water pump, seal or both have failed.

When i turn it on, and if I have my foot on the gas pedal and give it gas, it stays on.

yaqngie
06-28-2010, 12:28 PM
For whatever reason did you disconnect the battery cables. I was doing some work on my car in the past nothing related to the radiator and my car did what you are explaning. I had to drive it around for a little while before it fixxed itself. Just sat at stop lights and signs with my foot on the gas and the other on the brake. It was almost like the computer needed to reset itself.

jusunknown
06-28-2010, 03:25 PM
For whatever reason did you disconnect the battery cables. I was doing some work on my car in the past nothing related to the radiator and my car did what you are explaning. I had to drive it around for a little while before it fixxed itself. Just sat at stop lights and signs with my foot on the gas and the other on the brake. It was almost like the computer needed to reset itself.

I didnt think of doing that, but will give it a try. I ended up replacing the water pump, both timing belts and both serpentine belts, it seemed to help alot, but the idle was still low so the mechanic made an adjustment to the idle and it seems to be ok...we'll see what happens.

qnz
06-28-2010, 03:39 PM
you can increase the idle from the biss screw on the throttle body

1999g8
07-06-2010, 08:36 PM
Sounds like a dirty IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve.

jusunknown
07-06-2010, 11:55 PM
I replaced the water pump, timing belts and accessory belts. Car started but kept sputtering. Adjusted idle, and worked fine. After a couple days adjust it again because it was too high. I believe when I cleaned the throttle body, I either wet the IAC or got some stuff on it. It got better a few days later, and is runnign better than ever. Thank you all for your input.

G-spot
07-07-2010, 12:09 AM
sounds like a dirty iac (idle air control) valve.

bingo!

Ender-DI
07-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Sounds like a dirty IAC (Idle Air Control) Valve.

Is there a way to clean this? Damn thing is $320 through Autozone :orangebigeek:

I have a similar problem going on with my 2.4L Galant ES:
When I turn the ignition, it fires right up and idles smoothly, but suddenly dies after running for about 1.5 seconds. It shuts off just like I took the key out. No stuttering, no coughing or anything. Just off. When I start it again, it's the same thing. Fires up just fine then nothing.

History:
I just got it back from the dealership for a fuel injector cleaning service. I also replaced the coil for a misfire in cylinder 4. The battery was disconnected. When I first replaced it, it took 2 or 3 tries to get the car to start, but it finally started and drove smoothly. The next day, it started having the problem above. Someone mentioned the computer needing to reset, but for one, it was driving fine at first. And secondly, now I can't get it to stay running to let it relearn.