PDA

View Full Version : Car starting problem...

BGR
06-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Wondering if anyone else has this problem. I have already replaced the battery, the fuse on the positive battery cable and the alternator and the car still has a problem cranking over, like the battery is low or dead. The mechanic yesterday said it wasn't a starter problem, however, I do have a replacement starter standing by just in case. The car will start after it sits for about an hour, but it's having a hard time turning over. When it's attempting to turn over, it's like a slow turn (as if the battery is dead), not the normal click click click noise if it was the starter or alternator.

Yesterday after picking up the car from the shop, my radar detector went off a couple times indicating a low battery charge and then later while I was at a traffic light, the car just died. Thankfully it cranked over and started and I wasn't stuck in traffic and was able to get home. I just replaced the battery a few minutes ago and the problem is still present. I'm thinking it's the starter - however, that doesn't seem to make sense as to why it just died while idling in traffic.

Prophet
06-24-2010, 02:10 PM
I would check the intake...

BGR
06-24-2010, 02:12 PM
The intake? How would the intake cause a dip in the electric current? I can see my battery meter on the radar detector dip from 13.4-13.7 down to 11 and 12 and back up to 13.4 -- by the way, I had placed my stock airbox back on even after this problem occurred.

beam514
06-24-2010, 02:25 PM
have you checked the alternator?

tamim13
06-24-2010, 02:26 PM
^^ I think he said he replaced the alternator

Is your alternator getting charged enough? Did you put in a new OEM one or an aftermarket one? Could there be a loose connection somewhere? If your alternator is not charging the battery, the battery could keep losing power right?

jimmy_o2
06-24-2010, 02:29 PM
i would check the alty i had an alty that wouldnt work when i start the car cold but then once warmed up it would work also do have an alarm if u do make sure i have a fuse going from battery to brain if u dont then add one

i had similar problem and my cause what alty and alarm

jimmy_o2
06-24-2010, 02:31 PM
ive had alty just replaced go out right awaymight double check that

Prophet
06-24-2010, 02:33 PM
The intake? How would the intake cause a dip in the electric current? I can see my battery meter on the radar detector dip from 13.4-13.7 down to 11 and 12 and back up to 13.4 -- by the way, I had placed my stock airbox back on even after this problem occurred.

Intake wouldn't cause the dip in current... Is the radar detector a good indication that your motor is about to die?

G-spot
06-24-2010, 02:45 PM
The car will start after it sits for about an hour, but it's having a hard time turning over.
That really sounds like an electrical issue. If it's not anything that's mentioned above my post, you should try to check your wiring harness connection for any loose ends or disconnected wirings.

BGR
06-24-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. The alternator was a rebuilt one. Looks new. However, I'm going to drop the car off at the shop in the morning and have them re-check everything electrical.

RedGalant2k1
06-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Need to check for a ground short, or open circuit. Have them pull the serpentine belt and check ALL the pulleys too, including the a/c, power steering, water pump, alternator pulleys. My first guess though is a ground problem.

Divinity
06-24-2010, 08:18 PM
I had a similar issue where my car wouldn't start, and as a result of trying to start it the battery kept dying. The car would start on the first or second try after sitting for an hour, upwards to 8 hours. I'm not engine savvy but maybe you can get what I'm saying, it was the sensor underneath the air intake pipe thingy where it meets the manifold ... can't think of the name of it, once it was replaced it started as normal. TPS maybe?

RedGalant2k1
06-24-2010, 08:31 PM
I had a similar issue where my car wouldn't start, and as a result of trying to start it the battery kept dying. The car would start on the first or second try after sitting for an hour, upwards to 8 hours. I'm not engine savvy but maybe you can get what I'm saying, it was the sensor underneath the air intake pipe thingy where it meets the manifold ... can't think of the name of it, once it was replaced it started as normal. TPS maybe?

The camshaft position sensor is on the drive belt side of the engine, it is certainly a likely possibility. It could also be a manifold differential pressure sensor (firewall side of engine, just under the center of the intake manifold). But still, I would check the vehicle grounding points first.

Divinity
06-24-2010, 08:49 PM
The camshaft position sensor is on the drive belt side of the engine, it is certainly a likely possibility. It could also be a manifold differential pressure sensor (firewall side of engine, just under the center of the intake manifold). But still, I would check the vehicle grounding points first.

Yes, that's it. The camshaft position sensor.

littlerick
06-24-2010, 08:51 PM
if its the camshaft position sensor wouldnt it set off the service engine soon light (i think mine went off when mine went out)? like everyone else said it sounds more like a grounding point or loose wire (alt shouldnt get better after sitting for a while and usually if its bad it stays bad)

Divinity
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
My CEL didn't go off for me, well it stayed on when the car didn't start, but wasn't on when it was running. It was only after some searching on google I figured out that was the problem. Just threw it in there as a possibility since I had a similar issue, almost exact actually.

BGR
06-25-2010, 12:22 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll have my mechanic check those areas when I drop the car off tomorrow morning.

By the way, after putting in a new battery, the car wouldn't turn over at all, like the starter was dead. No noise, no clicking, nothing. I spoke to my mechanic over the phone shortly afterwards and he said that once I get the car into his shop, he has some sort of machine that can test all the electrical and pin point exactly were the problem resides.

BGR
06-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Problem solved. I had the alternator and starter replaced and the car is back to normal.

Just an FYI, be leery of any Ebay ad like this one here (Click Here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MITSUBISHI-GALANT-ECLIPSE-ALTERNATOR-V6-00-01-02-03-04-/380234114266?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5887b824da#ht_1603wt_932)) for an alternator for your Galant. I don't know what they sent me, but it didn't fit. I ended up paying an additional $149 for the shop to supply me with the correct alternator. The Ebay seller said I could send it back, but I'll be damned if he mentioned anything about a refund. I had bought it roughly 1 month ago, but just last week got around to installing it.

Should have went with my instinct and bought from my usual supplier --Autoparts GoGo (http://www.autopartsgogo.com/).

jimmy_o2
06-28-2010, 05:59 PM
glad u got it fixed

VegasMatt
06-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Glad it was fixed and you are back on the road. You going to MOD?

beam514
06-28-2010, 06:09 PM
My headlights tend to dim when I step on the brakes or turn on the defroster. I'm assuming I could use a new alternator? I'm pretty sure this is the original one lol.

Oh and you better go to MOD!
Matt, if you're going, you mind bringing some more TGC stickers? lol

VegasMatt
06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
yeah no problem, I will bring the red ones and the all white ones.