PDA

View Full Version : low gas mileage?

bstnsportsfan
03-08-2003, 10:45 AM
Hey guys, my dad borrow my car this week (his starter was going) and he mentioned to me my gas mileage is low. He used the car for work (work pays for gas), but he said its only getting like 250-275 miles a tank. I know maybe a year ago, I was getting 325-350+. I do have 89,000 miles on the car. I change the oil about every 5-7000 miles. I am think, I may have to change my fuel filter or possibly clean my injectors? I was in the auto parts store (my dad was buying his starter) and I saw some shit that cleans the injectors, it was like $10 a bottle, I think Vavaline made it. Hows it work? Any suggestions? Thanks.

IllestGalant
03-08-2003, 01:20 PM
The fuel tank add ins for cleaning injectors supposedly work pretty well. I have used it and noticed an improvement. As for your gas mileage...well 89,000 miles your are do for some work. Throttle body service to clean all the carbon off of the throttle plate, fuel system cleaner, fuel filter, air filter, new distributor cap, rotor, wires, plugs (i highly recommend using only mitsubishi parts for the ignition system and fuel fitler), you should also do a transmission service! All of these will restore your car to its original fuel economy unless there is a problem with the vehicle. but condsidering you only dropped about 15%, this serious tune up should do the trick :wink:

IllestGalant
03-08-2003, 01:20 PM
oh, one more thing, try to change the oil every 3,000 miles.

cantbeatmy97
03-08-2003, 05:01 PM
also its winter different type of gas and when u use the defroster it runs off the ac condensor so u waste gas too.i would change yur oil every 3000 miles dont listen to other people say bout 5-7 thousand miles u can change it dont press yur luck

bstnsportsfan
03-09-2003, 12:07 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cantbeatmy97)</div><div class='quotemain'>also its winter different type of gas and when u use the defroster it runs off the ac condensor so u waste gas too.i would change yur oil every 3000 miles dont listen to other people say bout 5-7 thousand miles u can change it dont press yur luck</div>

I live in Florida, its summer all the time!!! 8)

I have from several different comsumer reports reporters that you don't need to change your oil every 3,000 miles. I change it every 5-7k and have had no problems.

I am going to change my plugs and wires, change fuel filter and throw thoe fuel injector additive in. If I don't notice a difference I will try the other stuff. I just don't want to drop $350 on trying to improve my mileage! What does a distrubutor cap cost? :laughing:

IllestGalant
03-09-2003, 12:10 AM
i think 80 from mits

JiP
03-09-2003, 01:01 AM
Screw mitsu! autozone $25bucks. I boycott all dealer parts, nothign is ever worth paying 3 times the price just because it comes from a dealer! I have yet to see any real difference in quality from mitsu vs aftermarket parts. Maybe...MAYBE tranny fluid..jury is still out on that one. :laughing:

IllestGalant
03-09-2003, 10:54 PM
well do what you will but I will never buy any aftermarket crap again!

bstnsportsfan
03-10-2003, 08:35 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'>Screw mitsu! autozone $25bucks.</div>

:laughing: Thats what I am thinking! Yesterday I stopped off at auto parts store and bought STP Fuel system cleaner, STP for air filter and a fuel filter. I bought the STP air filter cause I'm not paying $50 for K&n, I know its better, but for $13 STP will work fine:D

JiP
03-10-2003, 09:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bstnsportsfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>I bought the STP air filter cause I'm not paying $50 for K&n, I know its better, but for $13 STP will work fine:D</div>

But remember K&N are washable in the long run you would probably be saving money with K&N.