PDA

View Full Version : Transmission fluid question

themadmon
06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
I searched and cannot seem to find the right answer. I have a v6 galant 00. I need to drain and fill the transmission. last year when i did it i went by autozone specs and seem to come up too high. I am going to park level and drain the fluid. How many quarts shall i add back. 3.7 - 4? I am not going the radiator hose drain just a drain and fill.

only due the the dipstick for these cars are HORRIBLE it always tells me high....

02redgalant
06-28-2010, 07:38 PM
from both the transmission cooler line....and you drain from the plug on the side refill is about 8.4 quarts

themadmon
06-28-2010, 08:02 PM
sorry i think i typed that too fast. I dont not want to take the hose off. I just want to pull the bolt on the bottom. Drain what comes out and add back. How much does the case it self hold?

Sphinx
06-28-2010, 09:23 PM
Why do you not want to take the hose off?
Its best to drain the whole thing, refill then run and drain again. Not the cheapest thing but alot cheaper than a new tranny.
Also, stick with true and actual Mitsubishi tranny fluid.
Theres a tutorial on the site here just search for it.
I am assuming you have an auto tranny, just by the numbers.

Sphinx

themadmon
06-28-2010, 09:47 PM
ok well i have done that b4. im using mobil 1 synthetic. got cases of the stuff and ran that in the car this whole time. ok ill take the hose off.
take hose off. run car till it all fluid come out.
drain case.
add 4 quarts. shift through gears..check. all more untill topped off...correct? aprox..9 quarts total?

02redgalant
06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
like i said about 8.5