PDA

View Full Version : Auto shifter sticking in park

I4betterthanUR4
07-01-2010, 04:23 PM
So I went to the store today and when I came back to the car I turned it on and couldn't get it out of park. After struggling with it for a minute or two I popped off the plastic bezel over the automatic shifter and looked inside to make sure nothing was blocking it since I recently ran some wires in the area but those wires were all the way to the side out of the way of the shifter.

That's when I noticed this little brass piston that moves in when I push the brake pedal. The piston stays in the way of a white plastic piece which keeps the shifter from moving when the brake pedal isnt pressed. Only problem is when I press the brake pedal it doesnt go in enough to get out of the way of the white piece so I can put my car in drive. I had to stick my finger in there and push it in while I move the shifter just to get it into drive.

Is there a way to tighten this or adjust it. I don't have any problems with my brakes that I noticed anyway. I've never seen this problem before so I was kind of like :wtf:

Anyway if you can help out it would be appreciated. Thanks.

zobgel
07-01-2010, 05:10 PM
as far as I know there's no way to tighten this or adjust it, just make sure not to move your shifter when the key is ON position.

M-Rod
07-01-2010, 08:28 PM
I believe the mounting holes are elongated to allow adjustment. At least that's what I thought I remember seeing when I went to the M/T. I'm not 100% sure though.

tamim13
07-02-2010, 07:23 AM
I had the same problem about 2 years ago though. I believe my mechanic just greased it as it was sticking a bit when the brakes were pressed, but let me find out if he adjusted it in anyway.

I4betterthanUR4
07-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys. I'm thinking it has to be adjustable. It's not really getting stuck it moves just fine when I press the brake pedal so I think it might be sticking out more than it used to be. I'm going to pull the center console out today if it doesnt rain to see if I can adjust it and re grease it.

A few times while the car was off and I was working on my radio install and car alarm install I would pull the e-brake up and move the stick all the way down to drive 1 or whatever is at the opposite end of park. You think that has anything to do with it? I didn't even have to use the brake pedal to move it but it never gave me any resistance or signs of breaking.

tamim13
07-02-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm pretty sure you don't have to take the center console off to adjust this, but I should have an answer by tomorrow when I meet my mechanic. Will let you know then.

I don't think your radio install would have caused this issue either as mine just was sticking without doing any of that.

Ruslik
07-02-2010, 12:08 PM
dude press on ur brake harder

I4betterthanUR4
07-02-2010, 12:34 PM
dude press on ur brake harder

I don't know if your trying to be funny or something but that was a completely useless post. F*** off and quit trolling troll.

Oh makes sense, I see your from Jersey.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to take the center console off to adjust this, but I should have an answer by tomorrow when I meet my mechanic. Will let you know then.

I don't think your radio install would have caused this issue either as mine just was sticking without doing any of that.

Thanks. It started raining so I wont be getting anything done today. If I don't have to take the center out I'd like to know how. Pop off your tranny bezel and look at what I'm talking about. I could barely get my finger in there.

I4betterthanUR4
07-04-2010, 03:24 PM
bumpage

HungarianHunter
07-04-2010, 06:29 PM
I don't know if your trying to be funny or something but that was a completely useless post. F*** off and quit trolling troll.

Oh makes sense, I see your from Jersey.

You talk to people like that and expect to get help? Come on now, let's be a bit more mature shall we?

Anyway, hope you get this figured out, sounds like it's a pain in the ass.

I4betterthanUR4
07-05-2010, 02:18 AM
You talk to people like that and expect to get help? Come on now, let's be a bit more mature shall we?

Anyway, hope you get this figured out, sounds like it's a pain in the ass.

C'mon that post was useless as shit on a stick.

WhiteGalant
07-05-2010, 03:03 AM
C'mon that post was useless as shit on a stick.

Did you even try what he suggested?

I4betterthanUR4
07-05-2010, 02:30 PM
did you even try what he suggested?

stfu you guys are a bunch of smart ass punks. I come on here for help and I got mocked. Fuck you and fuck your pussy ass forum. :sm_mg:

M-Rod
07-05-2010, 02:54 PM
I started off trying to help but your composure leaves me disappointed. If you didn't want to be mocked by some, just figure it out. And remember you can talk shit, but you're still the one in need of assistance.

RedGalant2k1
07-05-2010, 02:58 PM
stfu you guys are a bunch of smart ass punks. I come on here for help and I got mocked. Fuck you and fuck your pussy ass forum. :sm_mg:

People were helping you, and you could simply ignore posts that are unhelpful now couldn't you? But no, you can't, then you have to go and drag me into it by trying to down talk our Forum.

I think you should take a break.

SPD_FRK
07-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Disconnect the shifter cable from the Gear selector switch on the Trans. Try moving the shifter lever from Park down through all gears on the shifter one by one. If it does not stick with the cable attached, then start looking at the gear selector switch. You will probably have to remove this to see if that is sticking, if it does not stick...then you are probably going to start looking at internal parts of the trans.

Ruslik
07-05-2010, 04:43 PM
hm i guess we wont see that guy anymore.
my shifter sometimes sticks and that wasnt a smartass comment.
these noobs =/

cntrylvr79
07-06-2010, 03:09 PM
The sad part is the part he's talking about IS adjustable I've done it quite a few times on both 7th and 8th gen galants.