PDA

View Full Version : I4 Exhaust

NRG
08-21-2002, 02:11 PM
Hey guys once again I need to do some work with my exhaust and need some advice.

Currently I have a 4-1 header and a straight through muffler. Nothing is done to the downpipe, cat or catback. If I was to change the cat to a high-flow cat, will the sound of my car be different? And also, how much louder will my muffler be if I took off the resonator? If I took of the resonator, what do they replace that section with?

Thanks guys!!

Fishboy55
08-21-2002, 02:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey guys once again I need to do some work with my exhaust and need some advice.

Currently I have a 4-1 header and a straight through muffler. Â*Nothing is done to the downpipe, cat or catback. Â*If I was to change the cat to a high-flow cat, will the sound of my car be different? Â*And also, how much louder will my muffler be if I took off the resonator? Â*If I took of the resonator, what do they replace that section with?

Thanks guys!!</div>
Changing to an HFC shouldn't change the sound of your exhaust at all. However, removing the resonater will not only make it louder,, but will change the tone. If you remove the resonator, they can replace it with a straight piece of pipe or you can buy an aftermarket resonator thats like a glasspack. Several people here have done both options.

Chip

NRG
08-21-2002, 04:59 PM
Thx for the reply chip. So they could just replace my resonator with any 2.25" piping? Is this something they would have at a exhaust shop or do I have to order it specially for my car?

Thanks.....

Fishboy55
08-21-2002, 05:37 PM
I'm not an exhaust expert, but yea they should just be able to cut the resonator out, slip a piece of pipe over the open ends and weld it in place. All exhaust shops should have 2.25" pipe. Just make sure they use the stainless steel stuff to match your stock pipe.

Guys, anyone that knows more about this than I do, please feel free to help NRG out. I don't want to steer him wrong.

Chip

pinoyesv6
08-22-2002, 10:45 PM
any exhaust shop should be able to remove your resonators. they will give u and option of just cutting them out and putting in new pipe or for a lil bit extra money, replace all of the pipe. if you want it louder, i'd suggest getting a cat back made, in full, i mean if your exhaust shop offers mandrel bent pipe. if it doesn't just get it cut out the resonator.

TJC
08-22-2002, 10:59 PM
Dude, were you not complaining that ppl can already hear you coming 2 blocks away. Now you want to turn your ride into a city wide alert!?!?! :lauging: :lauging: :lauging: