PDA

View Full Version : Tranny, spark plugs, or something worse?

rwgt0su
07-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Hey everyone, forgive me but i'm a noob to these forums. I have come across an issue with my 2003 Mitsubishi Galant I4, automatic, with 115k miles. I'm driving about 400 miles a week right now.

Yesterday when i was leaving a parking garage, i started up the car, put the car in reverse, backed up, then put the car in drive and pressed the gas gently, but the car moved as if i was someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick shift. it only did this for about 3 seconds and then started going as if nothing had happened. I was able to continue on my way, stopping at stop lights and all with no more issues.

At my next destination i checked all the fluids, thinking the tranny was low on fluid. It wasn't, and i didn't see any metals in the fluid either. I did notice my coolant was extremely low (which i had forgotten to refill, meant too). I filled up the coolant thinking maybe with the coolant low and the A/C running, the engine was being over taxed on start up.

Today, i was pulling out of the same parking garage in the same manor, and the car did the same exact thing. It also did this again at a stop sign less than a minute later. But like before, once the car had "warmed up" the problem was unrepeatable.

Anyone got some ideas on what i should do/check next? Thanks in advance

RAZ_76
07-14-2010, 01:41 PM
Is it bogging down, sounds like your coil pack/s might be going. That happened to me and it will only get worse. When that happens again, really step on the gas and really push it. That should force it to set off a code.

That's what it was for me, I replaced the coil packs that sit on top of the spark plugs(2 of them) spark plugs and wires. That fixed it.

tamim13
07-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow, I'm having the same issue. As you said, it did set off a code when I was on a hill and it happened to me when I gave it more gas. Do you know what the average life of our coil packs are?

rwgt0su
07-14-2010, 05:33 PM
Very interesting. It did do it for a 3rd time, and this time i pressed the gas like you suggested, and the car nearly stalled, but no codes were thrown. :( I'll try again later.

HungarianHunter
07-14-2010, 06:32 PM
Same exact thing, mine threw a misfire code. My wires/plugs are new, and coil packs are fine. My next option is replacing a fuel injector for the cylinder that misfired. These 2 issues of ours could be unrelated, but that's the code mine threw when it was acting this way.

rwgt0su
07-15-2010, 08:12 AM
It took some effort (like putting the pedal to the metal for about half a mile), but i was able to get it to throw a service engine code. Taking it to get diagnosed tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

rwgt0su
07-16-2010, 11:38 AM
Got the codes today, it was a misfire in valve 1. Diving into some more found a cracked gasket and an oil leak that cause wiring damage to the coil packs. This will be fun to fix :\

Is it bogging down, sounds like your coil pack/s might be going. That happened to me and it will only get worse. When that happens again, really step on the gas and really push it. That should force it to set off a code.

That's what it was for me, I replaced the coil packs that sit on top of the spark plugs(2 of them) spark plugs and wires. That fixed it.

Good call, and thanks for the help