PDA

View Full Version : AC not working properly

Cheekz185
07-14-2010, 01:02 PM
My 02 i4 AC Is not working properly. In the beginning of the summer I would turn it on and I would get cold air but would gradually warm up. Now I barely get any cold air. On occasion I get cold air but not much. When I turn the AC on I hear the compressor kick in.

I am just wondering maybe I need a recharge? I popped the hood and I felt the AC line and it was really cold and kinda had ice on it. What are some things I Should check?

eclipsh
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
Your best bet is taking it to a trusted mechanic and having them check the system. The A/C system really isn't something a shade-tree mechanic can/should mess with. I just got mine serviced Saturday. A good mechanic will pressure and vacuum test the system to check for leaks and measure the amount of refrigerant which comes out of the system. I paid $100 to get it done.

Cheekz185
07-15-2010, 03:02 PM
I noticed today that when the compressor is on and when I accelerate I hear a slight clicking noise coming from the fron of the engine by the conpressor. As soon as I turn the ac off the clicking goes away. What could that be?

M-Rod
07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
A/C really isn't that bad. Most auto parts stores should have what you need to inspect and recharge yourself. At CarQuest, where I work, we have pressure gauges and kits for a siimple and cheap do-it-yourself job.

weigojmi
07-15-2010, 08:24 PM
Have similar problem. Checked charge and its fine. Took it to the shop today and its looking like a switch on the compressor (GOOD - new switch) or the clutch on the compressor (BAD - new compressor). We'll see...

eclipsh
07-15-2010, 10:07 PM
The problem with the DIY kit is my system had pressure but had next to nothing actually in it. As soon as he started to take any out of the system to test the pressure was gone. To do it right my mechanic explained that a specific volume of coolant needs to be measured out and added into the system. I figure you can pay $30 and not know if it is working right or pay $100 and be sure it is the way it should be and that you aren't going to damage your system by having too much pressure or not enough oil/etc in the system.

M-Rod
07-15-2010, 10:57 PM
If somebody had no clue what they were doing, a shop would make sense.

eclipsh
07-16-2010, 09:42 AM
If somebody had no clue what they were doing, a shop would make sense.

Do you sell the tools to remove all the old refrigerant, vacuum test the system to check for leaks and properly meter the oil and coolant going back into the system? How much would all those tools plus refrigerant cost?

I've seen those $30 bottles with the dial on them. They won't do anything but (try to) pressurize the system without checking anything. I'll go with the professional opinion of my certified mechanic who owns and runs his own very respected shop vs. someone who works a parts counter. I have good friends in both businesses and know which ones to go to when the time comes.

weigojmi
07-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Have similar problem. Checked charge and its fine. Took it to the shop today and its looking like a switch on the compressor (GOOD - new switch) or the clutch on the compressor (BAD - new compressor). We'll see...

Turns out it was the switch that prevents the compressor itself from overhaeating, however I had them bypass it to delay the inevitable for a while. I just need to "baby" the AC as much as I can.

M-Rod
07-16-2010, 03:27 PM
don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say a $30 can of R134 is a complete problem solver. But in most cases it will bring the temp of the air coming out of the vents down. I know what you're getting at by talking about oil. Such as pag100 etc. But if the ac system is in that bad of condtion, no doubt I will use a manifold gauge set, pressure test and use uv dye to check for leaks depending on what's necessary.

besides, how does being behind a parts counter limit what a person knows and can do. Oh wait, my parts counter grew legs and arms, and somehow works on my cars.

eclipsh
07-16-2010, 03:51 PM
Sorry about the parts counter thing, that was rude of me. I was half awake when I posted and took your post as a dig against me. Most of the parts counter guys I talk to don't know much about what they're doing, that doesn't mean you don't though. I've got friends who own a parts store and they know their stuff. I still say to do it right the cost in tools alone is more than you'd pay a mechanic to take care of it for you.

M-Rod
07-16-2010, 04:19 PM
that's understandable. And it wasn't directed towards you or anybody specifically. Sorry if it seemed that way. Misunderstandings FTL.

Cheekz185
07-19-2010, 04:56 PM
On saturday I gave my ac a charge with R134, I went to autozone and spend $30 and charged the system. To be honest that worked for me. It got my AC to crank out ICE COLD. BUT 2 days later the AC is back to where it was. This is telling me that I have a leak now.

Where would be the best spot to check for a leak? I felt the hoses and I didnt feel any of the oil residue anywhere from the R134.