PDA

View Full Version : Spark plugs Check/ Possible Misfire - V6

dac9050
07-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Was a 4Cyl Old Owner, bought a '99 V6 a few months back. Check engine came on with a code for Misfire. Had a friend with scantool read it and reset. Drove for over a few days and check engine came back on. It does feel like there could be a misfire. I like doing my own work, not a specialized mechanic but trust myself on my own cars and only other g owners.

So im reaching out to V6 owners in NYC who can assist me and offer a hand in showing me how to remove intakes to get to plugs, and change head gasket. I have kids so its a little different now to mess with the car then when it was only me. I use to change my own plugs/oil/brakes/ etc on 4cyl. but i cant seem to mess with the v6 at least until i can see someone else doing it.

Or if anyone is gonna do work on their v6 soon can record it and send it i would appreciate it. Thanks

s4ean
07-15-2010, 08:17 PM
http://home.pacbell.net/fong8/gstuff/tjc_plenum.htm

hope this helps, if you hadn't come across it already.

M-Rod
07-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Call me crazy, but I never cared for that "tutorial". It always seemed so scatter-brained. Maybe I just do things different, but at this point I haven't had any reason to do things otherwise.

As for the OP, I would set aside an uninterrupted afternoon to dig around and get familiar under the hood. The V6 plenum is actually pretty simple. If NYC wasn't halfway across the country, I'd offer to install new plugs and wires in there. That's where I would start at least. Head gaskets would be less likely to be your issue.

dac9050
07-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Ive seen that tutorial and agree with you it just seems a bit all over the place. but thanks for the offer and reply.