PDA

View Full Version : Car Radio Stopped Working

mr_oh_so_ice
07-19-2010, 05:38 PM
Hi,

I have a 2003 Galant ES 4 cylinder and after starting the car this afternoon the radio didn't turn on and my car's remote key lock / unlock wouldn't work either. I checked the fuse box and I didn't see a problem with any fuses, but tried replacing them anyway and still nothing. I tried my spare remote and again, no luck. I should also mention that if the car is unlocked the lock all doors button does not work unless the car is on.

The radio itself was working fine this morning, just didn't work when I was leaving work. Car itself is running fine though. Any ideas?

mr_oh_so_ice
07-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Just another update....I also noticed that when the car is off and I open my door, the door-ajar light doesn't come on either.

02gtzgalant
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
could b a bad ground or a wire burned causing a short

mr_oh_so_ice
07-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Thanks for the reply. I went back into the car owner's manual and I rechecked another fuse, and guess what? Blown.

So I decided to replace it, and as soon as I put it in, it blew. Tried another one...same thing. I must have a short somewhere. Not sure what to do now except maybe take it to a dealer for inspection.

The fuse that keeps blowing is the dome light one. Inside my Galant the engine fusebox has 2 fuses in a yellow section. One is labelled audio and the other is dome. The audio one is fine but the dome fuse keeps blowing. I am assuming that this one is preventing my door ajar light from working, the dome light from working, my keyless entry working, and my radio from starting. I should mention that its an aftermarket deck but its been running fine for 3.5 years now.

Is it still safe to run the car?

02gtzgalant
07-19-2010, 09:09 PM
the fuse is blown out so that means there is no current running through those wires so yes its safe to drive. before u go to the dealer i would check some things first.

- check all the interior bulbs like the dome and kick panel lights. pull the bulbs out and check the metal prongs they connect to and make sure they r not shorting out there.

-the radio isnt working u said? pull the radio out and disconnect it from the factory harness plug and c if it blows the fuse still just to eliminate the radio from being the problem.

- make sure the radio is wired correctly. the radio is on its own fuse and is not related to the lights as far as wiring is concerned. if the radio stopped working when the interior lights and locks stopped working leads me to believe the radio is not connected properly and after 3yrs it took a toll on the wires and burned one out causing the fuse to blow

mr_oh_so_ice
07-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Hey, thanks for all the help. I managed to resolve the issue. As you suggested, I took the aftermarket radio out (Pioneer DEH-P7700MP) and then installed the fuse. Worked fine and my interior lights were working again. I then installed the factory deck and it worked without a hitch. So I am running the factory deck again. I am assuming that the deck simply gave out as it was running fine for 3.5 years.....so I don't believe it to be a problem with the car. I will probably look into getting another deck later down the road.

Now, I just need to figure out how to get my CD out of the deck. No manual eject option...

02gtzgalant
07-21-2010, 07:12 PM
connect the pos and ground wire on the radio to a battery to give the radio power then eject

mr_oh_so_ice
07-23-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the tip. No dice, I think the radio is dead. I opened it up and managed to manually get my CD out. I looked around and couldn't really see anything burnt on the motherboard. Maybe a capacitor blew or perhaps a wire is fried.

It was a 50w x 4 stereo with no other hook ups. Its a shame....if I was going to buy a new stereo are there any compatibility lists?