PDA

View Full Version : ca legal aftermarket exhaust

Jose
07-25-2010, 04:04 PM
i like the exhaust setup i have in my 8g. i have obx headers with a magnaflow high flow cat and apexi exhaust tip sounds nice with the silencer in. anyway i love my exhaust but i live in cali and because whenever i deploy or move around i leave the car to my mom so everytime the smog comes up she has to park it cuz it wont pass the smog. does anyone know of a good aftermarket exhaust setup that would illiminate me having to swap it out everytime. your help will be very appreciated

beam514
07-25-2010, 05:53 PM
no aftermarket exhaust set up is CA legal. The only way to get away with ANY exhaust mods are to keep the stock exhaust manifolds, pre-cats, cats, etc. on there, and only have on an aftermarket catback. The only legally modifiable section of the exhaust is behind the last cat, and even then you can get a ticket if it's too loud.

jubeiaire
07-25-2010, 06:02 PM
either get the set up beam514 suggested or id suggest when you get notified of an upcoming deployment or move just put the car back to stock so moms can drive while your deployed.... really matters little to her if its modified or not. besides if your deploying your talking bout 4 hours work so she can drive for 1yr or more compared to not doing it then car sits for almost a year

Jose
07-25-2010, 08:20 PM
thanx alot for the info guys, boy cali sux on emissions

beam514
07-25-2010, 08:22 PM

lol I agree. That's why I have kept my stock exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. My car is essentially still street legal, even with the 6G74 and 5 speed swap.

But I also appreciate the laws, as I love breathing in the fresh California air :) imagine how much worse LA would be if we didn't have these emission laws.

8g831
07-26-2010, 03:55 AM

x2 thats why i dont wanna get headers unless their legal or i find a place thatll pass me under the table

Jose
07-29-2010, 07:42 PM
lol I agree. That's why I have kept my stock exhaust manifolds and catalytic converters. My car is essentially still street legal, even with the 6G74 and 5 speed swap.

But I also appreciate the laws, as I love breathing in the fresh California air :) imagine how much worse LA would be if we didn't have these emission laws.

yea thats true the air would be alot worse

Corey2kG
07-29-2010, 09:30 PM
What about the 3g GT muffler?

beam514
07-29-2010, 09:31 PM
What about the 3g GT muffler?

? what about it? his headers and HFC are still CA illegal

Corey2kG
07-29-2010, 09:53 PM
Well it sounds nice lol could change it all back to stock and put the muffler. suggestion is all Im saying.

krow
07-29-2010, 10:01 PM
This is what happens when Government becomes to powerful and takes away our liberties. Its happening more and more every day.

beam514
07-29-2010, 10:19 PM
This is what happens when Government becomes to powerful and takes away our liberties. Its happening more and more every day.

I'm going to say what I've said in various other threads. I'm glad there's some emission laws in CA. I've been to China and the smog there is UNBELIEVABLE. Despite what blue skies you might have seen in pictures, Beijing is sooooo polluted you can hardly breath outside. Even indoors, they have a hard time filtering the air and it creates this funky smell that is not enjoyable in the slightest bit.

That said, I've also been to Los Angeles, being that I live like 40 minutes from there. The pollution isn't terrible, but I'm glad its not worse than it already is. I like breathing the fresh air out here. California is the most populous state in the US. Take away the emission laws and the pollution will sky rocket. I go to school in San Luis Obispo, and I love going on hikes in the mountains and stuff. It's hard to appreciate the emission laws until you really go outside and appreciate the air that we're breathing in. I went to China during a summer that I was still in high school and I was supposed to be training for cross country while on vacation. I couldn't even run INDOORS, that's how bad the air was.

I also went to Vietnam a couple years earlier. They're still running 2 cycle mopeds over there and probably don't even know what catalytic converters are. Every time an old car that's running rich drives by me and I smell the fumes, I literally feel like I'm back over in Vietnam. Imagine standing behind a 1960's or 70's Mercury or something, and just breathing in the fumes for 3 weeks. That's what it was like.

Jose
08-07-2010, 11:00 AM
my next question is to make my exhaust legal again but also get rid of as much unnessesary shit as possible. do i have to put the pre cat back on also or can i just run stock headers and catalytic converter with a nice cat back. im just wondering cuz im not even sure what a pre cat does i mean will getting rid of it mess with any of my sensors?

beam514
08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
pre-cat is absolutely necessary. You can't modify anything on the exhaust before the actual catalytic converter. Pre-cats help to convert some of the exhaust gases to safer, less polluting gases, just like the cat itself. The pre-cats serve to reduce the wear and tear on the cat itself

Jose
09-07-2010, 05:50 PM
thanx for the info man