PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Problems

Stewi
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Ok so this problem is kicking my ass so I figured I would share it with you guys. My power steering pump was making some noises, the pump was old, yada yada, I replaced it with a used pump that has 35k on it. I primed it, started the car and it was screaming so I knew I had a ton of air in the system. I bled the system twice using the instructions in the factory service manual, which says to do it with the car on jack stands, progressively it got better and better until it runs nice and silent, the way its supposed to. I put the car down from the jack stands start to drive it and turn the wheel and there it goes screaming and whining again, WTF? At this point im beginning to think it could be a problem in the rack itself, but the noise is def not coming from the rack its coming from the pump as if there was air in the lines, but when its on jackstands and the wheel is turned lock to lock it makes not a single noise.

Cali
07-27-2010, 06:42 PM
brian, bleed it on the floor; i had the same problem on the white car. i tried it first according to the SM but the noise only went away when it was on the floor.

4g63lover
07-27-2010, 06:54 PM
hopefully the used pump isn't cavitated.

it probably isnt though since it would make the same noise while sitting not only when turning.

Stewi
07-27-2010, 07:36 PM
brian, bleed it on the floor; i had the same problem on the white car. i tried it first according to the SM but the noise only went away when it was on the floor.

did you bleed it like the SM says on the floor by cranking it about 10-20 seconds while turning the wheel in intervals?

Cali
07-27-2010, 08:30 PM
yep....word by word; noise still continued.

it went away when i did it on the ground.

Stewi
07-27-2010, 09:08 PM
yep....word by word; noise still continued.

it went away when i did it on the ground.

Nice.

Yeah I just went outside and did 4 cranking intervals of 15 seconds while turning the wheel lock to lock with the engine off. I started it up and no noises, only a slightl noise when im at full lock direction. Tomorrow I will do it again and I should be good to go. I just hate cranking the car like that because its hell on the battery with it being in the trunk after 16 feet of 2 gauge wire. Tomorrow I gotta drive the car a bit to charge the battery or pull it and charge it.