PDA

View Full Version : Magic melting coilpacks nah really need some help plz

reiketsutsukigami
08-01-2010, 02:39 PM
alright finished my dohc headswap got all my timing sorted out got it running like stock. then it cut out all of a sudden while high idling around 1500rpm blew one of the fuses on the box in the dash replaced it changed my boots to the sonata boots so my coil packs would fit better started it. it sounded like a lawnmower runnin like crap. so i turn it off leaving the key in the on postition start working on something and i notice a burning plasitc smell check and my coil pack is melting.. any ideas what causes coil packs to melt and not blow a fuse or something? and to replace them do the coils have to be from another 99-03 galant? or can i grab them from a 96 or 98 in the jy? or i doubt it but would the v6 ones work on my 4cyl?

*edit* after some serious inspections i found that the black/light blue wire that connects to the coil pack was exposed further down the harness and may have touched something to ground it out. anyone know what that wire is and if it would cause this to happen to my coil pack if it did?

reiketsutsukigami
08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
alright traced the black/blue back to firewall and its fine checked resistance and its only 5.5 where as all the other wires showed 11.1 not sure if this means my ecu is shot or what..

reiketsutsukigami
08-02-2010, 10:11 PM
tested wires at ecu turns out the ecu is suppling 5.5 volts to a wire thats supposed to be a ground...piece of crap >.> so my ecu is done time to buy a evo 8 ecu^^.