PDA

View Full Version : Are the axles for 3g eclipses and 8g's the same?

bsilver23
08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Just wondering out of curiosity because when i did my 5 speed i replaced the half shafts with eclipse ones and they make a clicking sound like they are binding so that is why i am wondering because if they are new that shouldnt happen. its odd if they are different tho because they fit, thats why i am stumped as to why they are making this sound.

Galantman03
08-03-2010, 10:44 PM
idk if they are the same or not but, usually when your axels make a clicking sounds, its your cv joints and then need to be replaced

beam514
08-03-2010, 10:49 PM
did you replace it with a M/T half shaft?

bsilver23
08-03-2010, 11:21 PM
idk if they are the same or not but, usually when your axels make a clicking sounds, its your cv joints and then need to be replaced

yeah ik and i got new ones 3 weeks ago

bsilver23
08-03-2010, 11:23 PM
did you replace it with a M/T half shaft?

yeah i got the eclipse manual half shafts

run1206
08-03-2010, 11:33 PM
my axles are starting to click when from 0-1st gear. :(
might need to get new axles or that M/T half shaft

bsilver23
08-04-2010, 12:13 AM
just looked and found that the part numbers for the eclipse and galant are the same for the cv half shafts. i do not understand how my new axles could do this so soon.

Stewi
08-04-2010, 07:33 AM
my axles are starting to click when from 0-1st gear. :(
might need to get new axles or that M/T half shaft

Drew you have a 4 cylinder, no half shafts on your setup, the V6 uses a half shaft I believe only on the passenger side. The EVO uses them on both sides. If you have a clicking noise, its likely the CV joints, in which case you should replace the axle.

Stewi
08-04-2010, 07:34 AM
just looked and found that the part numbers for the eclipse and galant are the same for the cv half shafts. i do not understand how my new axles could do this so soon.

You sure the clicking isnt coming from that carrier bearing thing that bolts to the back of the block?

bsilver23
08-04-2010, 08:09 AM
You sure the clicking isnt coming from that carrier bearing thing that bolts to the back of the block?

not positive, but it seems that it comes from both side simultaneously and when i turn the steering wheel i can hear it from side to side

run1206
08-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Drew you have a 4 cylinder, no half shafts on your setup, the V6 uses a half shaft I believe only on the passenger side. The EVO uses them on both sides. If you have a clicking noise, its likely the CV joints, in which case you should replace the axle.

K, sucks cuz I just changed the axles last summer :(
Is there any special kind of axles I can use, maybe re-inforced or "performance" axles? Haven't checked if the Galant/Eclipse platform has these kind of axles :102:

Stewi
08-04-2010, 10:45 AM
If both you guys replaced your axles, your noise could be coming from your hubs. Although typically hub noises usually sound more like a humming noise, its not unheard of for it to sound like a ticking noise. You should both try jacking up the front, have someone behind the wheel giving the car a little gas to make the wheels spin at a moderate speed, while you listed to where its coming from. make sure the car is on jackstands, if that bitch falls its running into whatever is in front of it, which might be you.

Corey2kG
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
If the axles are remaned then its most likely they are faulty and have to be replaced it happened to 2 friends of mine. They bought remaned axles and were bad. It happens so just bring them back to where you bought them if still under warranty and swap them out.

bsilver23
08-04-2010, 02:38 PM
Ya they are remanufactured so that could be why. Like I said I got them only 3 weeks ago. Also, they sound only occurs at very low speeds under 5 mph when backing up and especially turning the wheel

Corey2kG
08-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Ya they are remanufactured so that could be why. Like I said I got them only 3 weeks ago. Also, they sound only occurs at very low speeds under 5 mph when backing up and especially turning the wheel

Yeah one of my buddies put a remaned axle on his toyota n the same day he had the clicking. Its not unusual but it happens.

SkylineG1
08-06-2010, 11:01 PM
If both you guys replaced your axles, your noise could be coming from your hubs. Although typically hub noises usually sound more like a humming noise, its not unheard of for it to sound like a ticking noise. You should both try jacking up the front, have someone behind the wheel giving the car a little gas to make the wheels spin at a moderate speed, while you listed to where its coming from. make sure the car is on jackstands, if that bitch falls its running into whatever is in front of it, which might be you.

Stewi, a bad bearing actually ticks too.

Stewi
08-07-2010, 01:44 AM
Stewi, a bad bearing actually ticks too.

Thats what I meant, the hubs and bearings on our car is a one piece assembly. So I used the terms hub interchangeably.