PDA

View Full Version : Other Strut Options

Lazarus
03-10-2003, 08:21 PM
Are their Any other Companies that make Struts for Our Galants (8th gen) I would like to get some but I hate being restricted to 1 kind. Like to keep my options open

2True
03-11-2003, 01:45 PM
Koni makes adjustable struts for the 8g. Iv'e heard they are better than the AGX's even... They are kinda pricey at about $130 each, go to tirerack.com and look them up. I found them for the 2000 I-4, stopped looking after that..

Danger DANJ
03-12-2003, 08:54 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that the front Konis on tirerack and anywhere else for our cars will be the inserts like I have. They must be inserted into the stock housings. I got them from RRE. I must say that when I go over bumps, the front is smoother than the rear and in the rear I have the KYB AGX's. According to RRE the rear Tokicos would have been a better match to the Konis since they aren't as rough as the KYB AGX's. But, I already had the rear KYB AGX's when I got the front Konis.

Lazarus
03-12-2003, 09:11 PM
DANG, 510 just for the fronts.....They better be worth it. I know you get the core charge back and all but that's pricey. I may look into it but crap. :allen:

Faction
03-12-2003, 09:19 PM
wuts up with those little alien things

Danger DANJ
03-13-2003, 09:16 PM
DANG, 510 just for the fronts.....They better be worth it. I know you get the core charge back and all but that's pricey. I may look into it but crap. :allen:

Yes, I know they aren't cheap, but when I bought them the KYB AGX fronts were not available yet and I had already been riding on blown front shocks for 6 months. Believe me, the money was worth it to get away from all the damn bouncing. It was a long time after I got the Konis when the front KYB AGX's finally did come out.

Lazarus
03-14-2003, 05:07 PM
Cool Man I am going to order them on teh 1st then What about the rear?
Should I go with the Tokicos?

Mgalant99
03-15-2003, 12:04 PM
So heres a question:

If you have ground controls, can we get the agx's for them or no?? I thought I heard awhile ago that the agx's wouldn't work for the ground control coilovers. Any info would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

mochanges
03-15-2003, 12:51 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that the front Konis on tirerack and anywhere else for our cars will be the inserts like I have. They must be inserted into the stock housings. I got them from RRE. I must say that when I go over bumps, the front is smoother than the rear and in the rear I have the KYB AGX's. According to RRE the rear Tokicos would have been a better match to the Konis since they aren't as rough as the KYB AGX's. But, I already had the rear KYB AGX's when I got the front Konis.

Best thing to do is call tirerack and ask. I think these are the real deal shocks, not the inserts. They used to advertise the inserts and it was pretty clear what you were getting. What they have now seems to be the shock, not the insert.

-Mohammad

2True
03-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Best thing to do is call tirerack and ask. I think these are the real deal shocks, not the inserts. They used to advertise the inserts and it was pretty clear what you were getting. What they have now seems to be the shock, not the insert.

-Mohammad

I agree with Mo, there is no way a Koni insert is worth $130. Not to mention that tirerack is not one to false advertise. These are surely the real deal Laz, but where did you get this $510 just for the front figure?

Danger DANJ
03-15-2003, 05:17 PM

-Mohammad

I agree with Mo, there is no way a Koni insert is worth $130. Not to mention that tirerack is not one to false advertise. These are surely the real deal Laz, but where did you get this $510 just for the front figure?

The $510 price is if you get the inserts from RRE and have them do the installation for you, but if you do the core exchange like I did, they cost $380. Click here ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3g/howto/3gkoniinfo.htm') and go to the bottom for the pricing.

As for the ones listed on tirerack, the reason I feel they are the inserts is because they are not listed as front right and front left, just front. The only reason for them to be listed as front is if they fit both sides, which the inserts do but regular housings don't. You see what I'm saying?

Danger DANJ
03-15-2003, 05:25 PM
Cool Man I am going to order them on teh 1st then What about the rear?
Should I go with the Tokicos?

Well, If I was looking for rear shocks, I would definitely be getting the Tokicos. Like I said, RRE recommends the Tokicos with the Konis. Click here ('http://www.roadraceengineering.com/3g/howto/3gkoniinfo.htm') and go down towards the bottom and read where it says, "What rear shocks to get."