PDA

View Full Version : Axles clicking when turning the steering wheel

bsilver23
08-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Axles click when turning the steering wheel, at least i think its the axles. I just replaced them today and it still happens. Seems like they are binding but idk why cuz they are new. Does anyone have this problem or know why?

troubled4g64t
08-23-2010, 09:36 PM
usually they only click when they are bad

Stewi
08-23-2010, 09:40 PM
is it like a constant click or just a one click noise when the wheels get turned? is your car lowered alot?

bsilver23
08-23-2010, 11:06 PM
its like this: im in my garage, i back out slowly going straight, hear a click then after im almost out of the garage another click. then i start turning the wheels and its a pretty constant click. when i stop it goes away. then i turn the wheels back the other way and hear a few clicks. then i start accelerating and no more clicking. it only seems to happen going real slow, but i prolly dont notice when going faster.

my car is lowered, but not really "a lot" i would say. there is still about a half inch clearance between tire and fender and im on 16s.

bsilver23
08-23-2010, 11:44 PM
im starting to think the clicking is coming from the coilover

Stewi
08-24-2010, 06:46 AM
yeah if it was a bad axle, it would be louder and most audible during acceleration than anything else.

bsilver23
08-24-2010, 11:06 AM
so then saying that it is the coilover, do you think something may be blown?

99galantES
08-24-2010, 11:09 AM
mine click too but i have to get new axles just hope it doesnt click after i replace them

Stewi
08-24-2010, 03:50 PM
so then saying that it is the coilover, do you think something may be blown?

could be a few things. A loose spring perch on the coilover could cause the spring to click when it compresses, bad stabilizer links can click too.

Corey2kG
08-24-2010, 04:18 PM
It is possible to buy bad axles. Just would have to get new new ones lol. You should try n get it up in the air n put it in gear n see if you can pinpoint where the clicking is coming from. Of course it would be a PITA if you have ABS.

zobgel
08-24-2010, 04:25 PM
I have same problem when turning my steering wheel. I can only hear the click sound when I'm driving real slow. its the coilovers not the axle making click sounds.

I know my car is too low, I have one finger gap between my 18" wheels and fenders but I want to keep it like this until the summer ends. Is there any way to fix this except raising the car?

Stewi
08-24-2010, 05:10 PM
If the spring perch on the coilover is tightened the way it should be and there is nothing loose, it should be making noise. Sometimes its the end links are worn out from the car being so low it puts excess strain on the links. I have heard of some people using large washers as spacers between the axle and the hub which helps "push" the outer CV more into the axle cup to avoid damaging or wearing out the axles on cars that are lowered alot.

bsilver23
08-24-2010, 11:06 PM
i have done that washer mod on my axles and i recently got some powergrid adjustable end links. i guess sometime i will have to look at my spring perches

Da_silvagride
08-25-2010, 12:22 AM
it does seem like your axles. I had the same issue. replaced mine and i don't have that click anymore. the angle is too aggressive for the 8g when you lower it. Then when you drive it through bumpy roads and such it doesn't help cause it puts more pressure on that joint. Mine broke in three pieces.

bsilver23
08-25-2010, 01:12 AM
ive now replaced axles twice in the last two months and the same thing with both of them. they havent broke or anything. what kind of axles did you get?

zobgel
08-25-2010, 02:51 AM
I'm 100% sure its my passenger side coilover making click sounds and my stablizer links are brand new. maybe I'll try the washers or just raise my car a little more.

-thanks-

bsilver23
08-25-2010, 06:05 PM
so you just think the clicking is from being low?