PDA

View Full Version : Brake Squeal - Parking Brake Noise

Colton5419
08-27-2010, 09:42 PM
I have been having issues for quite some time with my brakes sounding like that of a yellow school bus, literally. More than half of the time I apply my brakes and just about stop my brakes emit the LOUDEST squeal like a large truck, it's noticeable from inside the car and most definitely outside.

On top of the squealing when I apply my brakes, when I release them I also hear a squeal like noise.

And today I also noticed that I hear a similar, if not the same noise when I move the parking brake gently only 1 - 2 inches (it is very loose feeling before getting to the actual locking)

Any ideas what's causing this...it's more than annoying.

P.S - I've already had the rear drums checked out/cleaned and both rear wheel cylinders replaced (they were leaking)

tamim13
08-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Ask someone to stand on the outside while you move the car slowly to pin point if the squeal is coming from the front or the rear.

The usual problems are -

1. The front pads need to be replaced.
2. When you go at high speed (around 55mph or so) do you get a vibration on your steering wheel when you apply the brakes? - This could mean your rotors are warped
3. When I bought my car, I had the squealing too. It was not the pads, as the pads had a good amount of life left. Finally after reading around, I found out that the 8G seems to have squealing brakes from the factory and is a constant problem. So I finally bought some r1concepts e-line rotors and some Akebono pads (thanks Dave) and after replacement have never had any more squeals.

Colton5419
08-27-2010, 10:11 PM
When I first bought the car (from a dealer) I experienced vibration when braking above 40mph - the rotors were warped.

The dealer replaced them free of charge and I have not had any squealing since.

They checked the front brake pads and they are fine also.

The noise is coming from the rears, I am at least 80% sure

troubled4g64t
08-28-2010, 01:46 PM
in my work truck my brakes squeal big time and its brand new the guy who does all the work on the company trucks said that he has had a couple of trucks that just seem to always squeal he could change the pads rotors use brake squeal everything you can think off its just non stop and these also have drum brakes as for me the best way I can suggest is rear disc swap other than that who knows

Corey2kG
08-28-2010, 02:25 PM
See the thing is when you put aftermarket brakes squeling happens. When worked for Hyundai customers would come in and say they just got their brakes done but there squeling so I end up installing dealer pads n the squeling stops. I don't know what it is about that n honestly I could care less but my brakes squeal a little when they are cold. The pads could be contaminated with something any kind of fluid or spray paint. Check that if they are contaminated theres no way to fix that other then changing them.

Colton5419
08-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Do you think they could be contaminated because of the previously leaking wheel cylinders? (They may have dripped on the pads?)

Also, would that be the noise I'm hearing when I move the parking brake while NOT moving?
- must be something to do with the rears as the parking brake only uses the rears

I may invest in some advertised and reviewed "quiet" pads.

But I've never installed my own before.