PDA

View Full Version : the best bolt on's money can buy

leadfoot
03-11-2003, 02:31 PM
im getting intake, header, exhaust, and pulley's can someone or pleas tell me the best maker's of these part's meaning the most power gain's. thanks

Lazarus
03-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Intake: Injen or AEM (Take your Pick)
Headers: RPW, Kamakazis, Or AMSS (Remains to be seen)
Exaust: There isn't one for our Car so Pick a muffler and Custom ize the pipe to the Desired Size
Pulleys: AEM (OBX Got Bad Reviews)

Xavier22
03-11-2003, 02:37 PM
aem by performance and injen right behind it for intakes and for headers, you wont really see much of a gain from them, but the best would probably be rpm right now - whe i say you wont see much of a gain, i'm talkin' about A 3-5 pony gain for $400, unless you go custom catback w/ 2.25 piping all the way and a afc and a fpr tuned!!! -

others will answer so dont just take my word for it, wait for sme of the more experienced members reply to this, as i may be wrong about the header part!!

Mante
03-11-2003, 03:29 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KinGAzteK02LA)</div><div class='quotemain'> you wont really see much of Â*a gain from them, but the best would probably be rpm right now - whe i say you wont see much of a gain, i'm talkin' about A 3-5 pony gain for $400, unless you go custom catback w/ 2.25 piping all the way and a afc and a fpr tuned!!! - Â*
part!!</div>

headers for the I4 at the moment suck, seeing with my own eyes the rpw and kamikazi headers are both poorly made. Tell representatives if u like, but seeing those headers on dyno's was just pitiful. 400 bucks then install fees for a tiny 1 or 2 whp sad Untuned headers are a more attractive version of the headers on the car.

Bolt on gains for our cars honestly dont exist. I personally gained 6 whp from tuning a damn cam gear, then again thats on top of all the stuff "bolted on" the 4g64. Prior to all of this I was totally again spraying but when push comes to shove 600 bucks gives you more kick then spending 200 or 300 or 400 bucks for 1 or 2 whp.

NRG
03-11-2003, 03:41 PM
Well headers can be obtained for less than 200 bucks like the Kamikaze. And you can install them yourself....I think the gain and sound is quite worth it for a bolt on less than 200......

You will definitely feel the difference when you drive it....It pulls much harder from 60-80mph.........The downside is, since the power band has been shifted towards the mid-range, you lose off the line torque...

Auto-9
03-11-2003, 05:37 PM
Depends on what you consider bolt on I would think. My tech called my nitrous kit a bolt on when I would clearly label that rat's nest.

pinoyesv6
03-11-2003, 05:59 PM
seeing the gains from the headers, personally, if u had a cali spec, i'd jsut get a downpipe made up to replace the precats. the gains would be similar but at a fraction of the cost. if u have a v6 u might want to look at AMSS since they sell downpipes. if u have an i4, well i guess as of now u gotta get that custom made.

best intake. uhm, the CP intake is a good intake for its price. CARB approved, and gets the job done. if ur looking for names, injen and aem are pretty much the same with minor differences. aem u can use w/a bypass valve, the injen comes with a pretty MAS adaptor and a heat shield.

pulleys. can't go wrong with AEM. but remember what the pullies actually do. the underdrive ur parts so that they run slower. meaning dimming lights, ur ac not working as good, etc etc, depending on what pulley u get.

as for exhaust. there is only one known exhaust for our cars and thats the one thats sold on ebay. ur not gonna get alot of gains from an exhaust, especially a cat back unless u are running some good mods. they are mostly for looks and sound.

leadfoot
03-11-2003, 07:01 PM
thanks for the info guy's :wink: but i need the mod's to run the amount of nos im getting. i need the basic's before i can dip into the major stuff dual stage 100 shot. but anyways what about cam gear's, cam shaft's, and a throttle body? im going to have to get bigger injector's and fuel pump is a need for my nos set up. im getting the i/h/e/p because for one they are nesseasy for the car to breath that and they souns nice as hell when WOTing. look's like im going custom with the exhaust i was thinking a magnaflow muffler maybe was thinking about it my bro has one. oh and im going to a dyno shop i was told about close by i was told they dyno it tune it and it was supposed to be a 20hp gain.

Mitsiman
03-12-2003, 03:51 AM
I would really like an answer to this one now that I think about it - how are the RPW header & flex pipe system poorly made.

I mean they are mandrel bent, fit up correctly and you can't deny that the design is quite different to many other brands like Kamikaze. Our header pipes are or a nice diameter, very long pipes - I am really wondering how they are "Poorly Designed".

Some people have reported low power gains, others have reported large power gains. Now note I am not questioning the power gain - I am referring to there manafacturing.

I normally don't care too much when people trash our product - people are entitled to there own opinions, and if someone had qouted on there car they found no power gain - fair enough. But when they state they are of a poor qaulity - then that is very different.

I look forward to your answer.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

b-boy_sky
03-13-2003, 11:05 AM
Hey David IMO I think the RPW headers are great.....I gained a whole second at the 1/4 mile which is more then 1-2 whp......When people ask how I like them I talk highly of them and would recommend them to anyone.....

Auto-9
03-13-2003, 03:48 PM
Whoa people are trashing RPW's quality? I dunno about you folks but even though I'm not too happy with the power gain numbers I think they're good enough to pass for Edelbrock and Hedman etc.

Fishboy55
03-13-2003, 04:05 PM
I don't think Mante actually was questioning the quality of the headers as much he was the design. I have to agree that the quality is fine, and since I've had them the longest, I can report no problems. The power gains are less than I expected, and I've been very open about that. But that's my only issue.

Chip

Mitsiman
03-13-2003, 06:34 PM
If I have overreacted here then I do apologise but as you can imagine people listen to what other people say and when we feel that our product is being mis aligned in the wrong way then we do tend to get defensive.

With the HP gains - we truly are finding the USA V6 adnd I4 cali model cars very difficult to get major gains from. Recent feedback from customers though show that it may be in the cylidner head that the main limitations are existing.

One of our customer who jut fitted a set of stage 2 heads to a custom set of headers (This is some 3.0 V6 ASOG vehicle) found amazing hp gains around the vicinity of 50 - 60hp over stock with headers, stock throttle body and worked head.

I beleive that this is probably where the main restriction is in these engines - not the exhaust but in the heads.

The mild gains from headers, intakes, exhausts of course then make this large hp gain from head work and camsahfts possible but by themselves as we all know - a 15 - 20hp gain with all the mods externally are about all you get.

Some cars are responding better than others, but this is a problem we are finidnig with mitsubishi in general - gone are the days as we say of bolting something on and picking up 20hp. Nowdays you bolt anything on and it is only in the vicinity of a 5 - 7hp.

It is not until you start going internal to the engine that the big gains are turning up.

David Thomas
www.rpw.com.au

Auto-9
03-13-2003, 11:06 PM
Wow that's a first for me...I never thought that restrictions could occur in the engine itself :shock:

Fast99ES
03-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Like Dave and some of you other guys were sayin...Headers help ALONG with other mods...you cant really bolt on headers and expect a big increase unless you have other things done as well...Hence the expression
"One hand washes the other" Meaning if you have one thing done there will be somehtin else to help that out as well. I am gettin my complete exhaust done with the RPW headers and custom piping. I know i will be seeing good gains when that stuff is done!!!! As for the constrution I am very happy with the headers mandrel bent and 4-1 design. I will keep you guys posted on the progress.

leadfoot
03-15-2003, 10:08 PM
how much do the RPW header's go for. im also getting the header and going custom from there. :wink: does anyone have a magnaflow muffler on there l4 galant?

Fast99ES
03-15-2003, 10:09 PM
I'm debating on magnaflow or the apexi N1...

leadfoot
03-15-2003, 10:17 PM
my brother has a magnaflow on his car it a 97 3.0 cl it quick it sound's very nice. it deep down low int the rpm's and a nice hiss when over 5000 rpm. but i know it wont be as deep sounding as his being that he has .6 litter's and 2 cylinder's on me. :oops: on well ill see what it sounds like when its all said and done, im going to the same muffler shop and getting my exhaust sep up done there im thinking of having them put on the header's and go ahead and do all the work as far a welding the piping and muffler. :wink: