PDA

View Full Version : HID Install Help

Rodriguez
09-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Ok, so i just inherited my 03 galant and id like to do HIDs. I found this kit.
http://www.amazon.com/XenTec-Ballast-6000K-ultrawhite-single/dp/B003Y36NM4
My first question is, does this kit work for my particular car, im assuming it does cause its 9003. Secondly does anything connect directly to the battery?

Reelax
09-04-2010, 05:28 PM
if u want to keep your high beam functionality don't use that particular kit, it omits the high beams. look for bi-xenon or hi/low, if u wanna keep ur high beams. do a search on here for "HID" and read through some of the threads to get more info.

OMEGA PHX
09-04-2010, 05:32 PM
Your car is H4, I would recommend buying your kit from DDMTuning kits although their shipping is slow. For best visibility buy 4500K, pure white is 5000k, don't buy anything beyond 6000k.

If you buy a relay harness sold at ddmtuning as well then yeah the kit will take the power directly from the battery and trigger with your stock wiring, if your just going with a kit for your heads then you can get away without the harness its just plug and play.

Rodriguez
09-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Is their an advantage to drawing power directly from the battery? As opposed to plug and play?

OMEGA PHX
09-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Is their an advantage to drawing power directly from the battery? As opposed to plug and play?

To be safe and not push your stock wiring although when I first got my kit I ran it from the stock wiring with no problems.

Reelax
09-05-2010, 07:04 AM

i recommend drawing power straight from the battery for HID via a heavy duty relay harness (40A relay) rather than relying on the stock wiring for power... HID needs alot of power (albeit for a very short time) to ignite and when both sides are igniting at the exact same time one or both sides might get "starved" due to the limitations of the stock wiring. the stock wiring was not designed for this large draw as halogen lighting does not need such a burst. being starved through the stock wiring will shorten the ballast's lifespan significantly. then after a while one or both of the ballasts will fail or start to flicker the HID bulb on start up. HID bulbs do not react well to constantly being turned on and off (flashing or flickering) and will ultimately go bad if the ballasts are not able to fully ignite them and supply them w/ steady power.

i have 3 pairs of HID on my car (JDM headlights w/ seperate hi and low, and projector fog) using 3 independent relay harnesses. all my HID is powered directly from the battery via relays, bypassing the stock wiring and only using it as a low power trigger.

Rodriguez
09-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Got it, im definitely gonna go with the relay, Is it difficult to set up? And I thought 6000K was the ideal color, cause here in Florida the troopers have it out for people with Blue or Purple.

Reelax
09-06-2010, 04:24 PM
stick between 4250K and 6000K and you will b fine (w/ 4250K being sun white, 5000K being pure white, and 6000K having a little blue), anything over that will have too much color and will also b dim. 4250K is the brightest for a given wattage (35W); the farther you go from that number the dimmer the HID will be.