PDA

View Full Version : I need a new engine and some help

Narcosis
09-10-2010, 10:47 PM
I haven't been on these forums for over a year. I used to read most post but I rarely posted myself. My parents have been driving my 8g galant ALOT, their car broke down about a year ago and they have been sharing mine ever since. Last week the engine blew out on them. It has about 120,000 miles on it and my dad has decided that he will pay to replace the engine. This sent off a flush of memories back from when I wanted to work on the car before my parents took it over. I wanted to know if the 4g63 would still be my best bet at an engine for $1500 or less and does anyone have a recomended website to get one from. I have found a few, but if some one has had a good experience with one in particular that would be nice to know. He has to install a new engine, so I am trying to convince him that it would be pointless to put in another stock engine. This is my chance at the engine swap I wanted and it seems like it will be the best opportunity, me being a college student I don't really have the money for a swap. Also I was wondering, if I am able to get him to buy a 4g63, would I be able to have a turbo installed later? Or if I am thinking about turbo in the future, should I just find and buy a 4g63t now? Any knowledge would be helpful. Thank you in advance.

mrg7243
09-10-2010, 11:53 PM
dude this topic is wayyyyyyyyyy overdiscussed, just search evo 8 swap in the search bar, and read away and then some. then if you have questions about the swap then ask.

G-spot
09-11-2010, 12:00 AM
so is this project you want to do now when you have very liitle money or is it something you want to do after you graduate and start making some kind income?

beam514
09-11-2010, 12:20 AM
swapping only a 4G63 with no turbo will probably result in the car feeling underpowered. You could easily just go for a stock 4G64 for the time being, since you're a little low on money. If you do it yourself, you can probably do it for less than $600 since you're just putting another engine in there. Later on down the line when you get more serious about modding, you could do an Evo or Kia head swap and/or turbo that bish

Narcosis
09-11-2010, 02:42 AM
well because i need the car for school my dad said he will get a new engine put in within a week or two, so I was thinking of just getting the swap out of the way now, and then modding it more as I get more income. I'll definitely search more though, I'm not trying to ask repetitive questions. and @ beam thx for the idea of the head swap when I get more funds, i completely 4got about that, it didn't even cross my mind.

E_Emerson88
09-11-2010, 03:12 AM
if you turbo your car or do engine mods, you run the risk of shit breaking and not having a car again. just do a simple stock engine swap so that it runs again. do major stuff when you have time & money

beam514
09-11-2010, 03:17 AM
well because i need the car for school my dad said he will get a new engine put in within a week or two, so I was thinking of just getting the swap out of the way now, and then modding it more as I get more income. I'll definitely search more though, I'm not trying to ask repetitive questions. and @ beam thx for the idea of the head swap when I get more funds, i completely 4got about that, it didn't even cross my mind.

yeah no problem. I just want you to be aware that the 4G64 DOES have potential, in fact there are some Evo's that swapped to 4G64 blocks (not the heads obviously) for crazy horsepower. 4G63 swap will probably cost you more than $1500. Those engines don't go cheap