PDA

View Full Version : Removing Air Filter/Fuel Filter

bstnsportsfan
03-11-2003, 09:19 PM
Am I just a dumbass or is it a pain in the ass to remove the air filter? I went out there tonight and undid the clips to the airbox, expected to just pop it open, take old one out, pop new in and be done, but I was pulling and prying and after 20 minutes I said screw it. Do i have to undo the 2 bolts holding the air box on, then remove air filter, put new one in, and bolt air box front piece back on? Man what a pain in the ass!

Also, can someone tell me where the fuel filter is located? Thanks!

laxattack2001
03-11-2003, 10:48 PM
I hated it when i was putting a cone filter on my car it was a major pain in the ass to remove the airbox

MidNightRacing
03-12-2003, 01:30 PM
The fuel filter....... Well first take out the air box housing then at the firewall there it is it black you'll know when you see it. Dont forget to depressurise your gas lines before taking the filter off! :shock: Oh yeah there are four clips that hold the two parts together maybe thats why, you need to undo all 4!!

bstnsportsfan
03-12-2003, 09:43 PM
How do you depreassurize the fuel lines? I am going to try to do it tomorrow, if I can't, then I will leave it for my dad.

JiP
03-12-2003, 10:06 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bstnsportsfan)</div><div class='quotemain'>How do you depreassurize the fuel lines? I am going to try to do it tomorrow, if I can't, then I will leave it for my dad.</div>

1) pull out ur rear seat and unplug the connector to the fuel pump. For those of us who did the fuel pump rewire, you can just pull the fuse out.

2) Start your car and let it run until stalls out. Turn the engine off.

Go to work. Probably should disconect the negative battery cable too so u dont make sparks somehow. It isnt that hard to remove the top banjo bolt..but its a real bitch to get the bottom bolt off the filter. Its easy if the engines out of the car lol.

Make sure u got some towels around too cause fuel from the lines u remove and the filter is gona leak best to catch it in the towels.. then to let it drip all overthe place.

JiP
03-12-2003, 10:08 PM
O BTW, for the stock airbox, to remove the filter your supsoed to remove the entire half of the box that connects to the throttle body, thats howthe filter pops right out. Its a 2 second thing, the only thing holding it up besides the clips is the clasp around the thtrottle body. buy chilTONS!

Kain
03-16-2003, 04:30 PM
How do you depreassurize the fuel lines? I am going to try to do it tomorrow, if I can't, then I will leave it for my dad.

Pssh, "depressurize fuel lines" That's for weenies. Just take off your gas cap. That'll let the explosive pressure out of the lines. The "proper procedure" is a waste of time. It dosen't make a noticable diffrence in the ammount of fuel that leaks out, and makes the car difficult to start afterward. Doing it like this, about a teaspoon of gas will leak out, the "proper" method will leave you with about 3/4 of that much. Just put out the cigarette while you're doing it and be sure to wipe up the dribbles (or put down a rag first) and you'll be fine. Be more worried about not stripping the fuel lines.

JiP
03-16-2003, 05:09 PM
lmao. When dealing with highly flamable substances I try to take all the necessary steps to insure I dont end up running down the street engulfed in flames.

MidNightRacing
03-17-2003, 01:33 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'> I dont end up running down the street engulfed in flames.</div>

Like this: :burney: :firedevil:
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
That would be funny!

Kain
03-17-2003, 02:09 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JiP)</div><div class='quotemain'> When dealing with highly flamable substances I try to take all the necessary steps to insure I dont end up running down the street engulfed in flames.</div>

See, that's the problem with kids these days...thinking gasolene is "highly flamable." You can actually extinguish lit matches in buckets of gasoline. Liquid gas is very difficult to ignite, it's the vaporized stuff that's dangerous. So, unless you're working on your car in Death Valley the gas won't have enough time to atomize adequately to become an issue. But, if you're still paranoid go ahead and take all necessary precautions. (though, you should always have a fire extinguisher within easy grabbing distance just in case.) I've only lit myself on fire once, and it was with a real highly flamable subastance (brake cleaner)

bstnsportsfan
03-17-2003, 05:19 PM
I like Kain's idea! Open the gas cap! I am going to see if a friend wants to help me with it, if not I will just take it somewhere. I'm not in any rush.

I changed my air filter on friday...it definetly needed it! There were some flies in my air filter https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif It took about 40 minutes to change since I had to undo the dam bolts! But thats changed, i need to check my spark plugs and change fuel filter and I will be done with tune up. Right now I have a little more than a half talk left and I went 180 miles.

ablythe
04-02-2003, 11:50 PM
It took you jokers 40 minutes to take out the air filter??? No offense but I could almost drop my tranny in 40 minutes.

Undo the clips on the box and just push that thing back. You're not going to break it. If you want to do a good tune up, you need to do a throttle body service.

To do that, have new spark plugs ready and a can of Berrymans B-12 spray carburator cleaner. Put on some safety glasses and get ready!

Take the portion of the air cleaner out that attaches to the throttle body. It only requires unplugging the MAF Sensor, slide the vaccuum hose off, loosen the 10mm bolt on the hose clamp and twist it off. With the engine off, spray liberal amounts of b-12 into the intake. Hold the throttle plate back by hand and hose that sucker down. Look in there with a flashlight and you can see all the carbon buildup in there. Thats the stuff you're trying to clean up. Make sure to really clean up the edges of the throttle plate, getting any built up carbon off so it will close all the way. Get all the carbon off the throttle body where the plate closes. Use a toothbrush or something to loosen the crap up if its stubborn.

After you're done, reinstall the airbox and filter. Reconnect the vaccuum hose and MAF sensor. Make sure everything is tight. Next, try to start the car. It will sputter and spit. Let it turn over for 8 seconds at a time until it runs. It will run very bad for about 30 secs or so. Once its burned off, change your plugs (because they will be fouled) and it will run like a brand new machine. I do mine once a year and its amazing how good she will idle after its done. I do it to all my friends cars and they can't believe the difference. No new O2 sensor can do this for you.

AB
Dallas, TX
96 Galant S
170k miles and still smilin' 8)

oldgymnast35
06-03-2011, 08:58 PM
I must be crazy but all this talk about how easy the banjo bolt is to get off is poppycock! I spent 4 hours trying to get it off and ended up having to use a torque wrench. But didn't have ANY problem with the bottom bolt.
Just about done dumping money into this car, but it gets me where I need to go!