PDA

View Full Version : Header heat shield

SinSere
03-11-2003, 10:42 PM
For those that have replaced headers, did you keep the heat shield off. My car just went into the shop for a lil "more go" work and I'm wondering if I should have them leave the heat shield off so you can see the shiny AMSS headers. I know the headers produce a lot of heat, just wondering if its mission critical though because they sure do look nice. I don't know if the i4's have this shield, but I know all the V6's like me do. thanks

Fishboy55
03-12-2003, 06:21 AM
I left mine off for a couple reasons Sin. First, one of the mounting points for the front shield will go away when you bolt on the headers. At least mine did. Second, the heat shield is more to protcect some doufus from grabbing the exhaust manifold than to keep heat away from anything. Third, The headers do look good if they're chromed, mine are black and I still like them. But just a heads up, the chrome coating is going to change color really quickly and become kinda gold/blue/black.

Chip

SinSere
03-12-2003, 09:35 PM
yes, aware of the color change, but still better looking than the stock ones for sure.

T-O-P
03-13-2003, 04:17 PM
There is a small shield on the fed spec I4. I guess I can remove that shield when I mod the headers with the dye grinder?