PDA

View Full Version : HID problem

Stepsascend
09-19-2010, 02:55 PM
I bought a set of onex HIDs for low beam. I also have Ebay projector headlights. I plugged everything in correctly dealing with the ballasts and HIDs. I know that for a fact. The problem is when I turn on my high beams, my driver side bulb flickers on and off like a strobe light. Then if I turn all of my lights off and on, only the driver side light stays on until I unplug and plug in the positive connection to the stock bulb wires back in on the passenger side. I was out there for a few hours today trying to figure it out but everything seems correct. I could really use some help.

Reelax
09-19-2010, 04:49 PM
which bulb flickers, the HID or the regular bulb? are the HID plugged into a relay harness or directly to the OE wiring?

Stepsascend
09-19-2010, 04:52 PM
The HID bulb on the Driver side flickers. There is no relay harness. Just the stock headlight wires and the wires from the ebay projectors.

Reelax
09-19-2010, 05:10 PM
so explain it better. your HID is the low beam outside pair and your high beam is the inside pair correct? the low beam is H1 HID and the high beam is H1 halogen, correct? so when you turn on your low beams, the HID works correct? but when you turn on your high beams the low beam driver's side starts to strobe? so the low beam is ballast is plugged directly in to the OE wiring? what is the hi beam plugged into?

Stepsascend
09-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Sorry and correct, correct, correct. I'm retarded when it comes to wiring. The ebay headlights come with a harness that plugs into the stock harness. The high beam is connected to that harness still. The low beam and the ground from the ebay light is also plugged into the stock harness. The positive and negative wires that come with the HID set running from the ballast are plugged into the positive and negative for the low beam that come with the ebay headlight. So from the OEM wires, the high, low, and ground harness is connected to the ebay harness which also has a high, low, and a ground. From that harness, the low beam wires have a blue + and a black - which the positive and negative wires from the ballast is plugged into. I hope that helps.

Reelax
09-20-2010, 12:07 AM
before you installed the HID was everything working properly? it sounds to me that the ballast that is flashing is being starved through the ebay harness. HID requires a great deal pof current to ignite and that's why it is flashing, not enough current. before u installed HID on the projectors, did the low beams stay on when you turned on the high beams?

Stepsascend
09-20-2010, 12:18 AM
Yes everything was working properly, or at least I thought so. When I turned on the Highs or lows all 4 lights were lit. So if the lows were on the highs were too, but dim. vice versa. My halos Won't work either which I don't understand. All of the blue bulbs are lit up, but still no halo. If that is the case though, how would I be able to fix that?

Reelax
09-20-2010, 01:12 AM
Yes everything was working properly, or at least I thought so. When I turned on the Highs or lows all 4 lights were lit. So if the lows were on the highs were too, but dim. vice versa. My halos Won't work either which I don't understand. All of the blue bulbs are lit up, but still no halo. If that is the case though, how would I be able to fix that?

something is wired wrong. when you turn on the lows, the highs should not be on at all. when you turn on your highs, the lows should remain at full power. that's the way it's supposed to work but i'm not sure on how the ebay projectors are wired (they could very well be wired wrong from their factory since they are ebay level stuff). also your halos don;t work? is there another wire for your halos or do they light up dimly... which blue bulbs? the 3 on the sides?

if it were me i would throw all the ebay wiring out and re-wire w/ heavy duty relay harnesses and diode (since HID survives longer on it's own relay directly from the battery) like the how i did my JDM's (since they essentially work the same way). can you take a pic of the ebay harnesses? i am curious how they did it and what they used... i have a suspicion that they don't work the way they should to begin w/, by the way you are describing. when you turn your highs on the lows are dimming is a big clue... the ballasts are starving because something is not right.

basically low beam on = outside pair on; high beam on = both outside and inside pair on. ultimately that's the way it's supposed to work.

Stepsascend
09-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Here are the OEM wires. These wires are attatched to a harness that plugs directly into the ebay one. (second pictures)
http://i54.tinypic.com/15czr68.jpg
So basically, this the power for my highs and lows so that should be where the problem is right?
http://i53.tinypic.com/2ed3ujk.jpg
These are the 2 wires running from the ebay harness that attatched to the low beam where the HID wires plug into.
http://i54.tinypic.com/2zgi1ch.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to rewire everything temporarily with crimps to see if somewhere along the line I messed up. The wiring is pretty straightforward though so I'm thinking it may be the headlight itself. The only other wire besides the ground wires is the one for the LED and halo which is wired into my driving lights. There are 4 blue bulbs around each halo that are lit up, but you can't see them at all through the halo which makes no sense to me.

oakrdrs187
09-20-2010, 02:38 PM
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/oakrdrs187/untitled.jpg

you need to use a relay for any HID setup, HID draws less current thats true but only when they have reached temperature. when they startup they infact need more power, so always use a relay when running any bubs other than stock. ive made it pretty simple since i once had projectors from ebay in my 3g. im gonna tell you now their wiring is junk, so trash it.

to wire your high beam extend your factory hi beam wire and headlight grounds on each side and go straight to the halogen bulbs.

for your HID get only your factory low beam on one side and connect to relay as shown. power it with a strong 12v source, make your own ground for both the relay and both HID ballasts, using ring terminals and clearing any paint with a wire brush or drill with a brush sanding bit. this realy can be found at local autoparts for about 5 bucks in their headlight or electrical section it may not have the 87a pin but will still work for you. you may also use one reay per hid but dont have to, a relay can handle 30A which is plenty for two ballasts.

Tust me ive been working with HID retrofits since the kits were well over 300 a pair.

http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/oakrdrs187/0127091323.jpg
Heres my 3g before I sold her (Needed a family car now that my son is with us, so there shes is that HOE in the background, plz believe its riding full HID as well)

I used 4 relays: 1 for every 2 ballasts and 1 more to let me keep all lights on when i switch to hi beams

[Really mssin my 3g] :(

oakrdrs187
09-20-2010, 03:07 PM
http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/yy281/oakrdrs187/IMG00021.jpg
Heres my HOE also used realys to keep high beams on with lows and fogs, you can see a bit of the 8g in back.

8000k-Low
6000k-Fog would like to do all in 5000k though for visibility more than looks
stupid piss yellow stock highs

Stepsascend
09-20-2010, 07:32 PM
The ebay wiring is that bad huh. Alright man sounds easy enough thanks for all the help guys. It's a good thing tomorrow is a free day.

oakrdrs187
09-20-2010, 07:43 PM
its actually pretty good as far as insulation and thickness, but it makes it confusing when you try to add HID to it since it was designed to work with halogen bulbs and plug-n-play. Good luck let me know if anything, will be chacking in periodically.

Stepsascend
09-20-2010, 09:46 PM
ah alright. I will man thanks again.

AVERAGE
10-05-2010, 01:51 AM
The HID ballast should be powered directly from your battery. When I first got my EB03's about 4-5 years ago I had the same problem. I decided to just wire them to a toggle switch drawing juce directly from the battery and called it a day. Or a cheaper less time consuming way would be to be an $8 harness from ebay that'll solve all of your problems.