PDA

View Full Version : DOHC parts list for midnightbear

reiketsutsukigami
09-21-2010, 12:10 PM
before anyone says anything about reposting and what not this is specifically for midnight cause he asked me its not just a general post XD.
ok parts wise
1) the dohc head (99-05 hyundia sonata or similar kia optima)
2) valve cover ( sometimes they dont come with those mine didnt)
3) Intake manifold (ours wont fit so the outlander wont either)
4) Intake manifold braket ( theres is taller)
5) fuel rails + injectors (you can modify ours to fit very easily i found the perfect way to do it and can show you if you dont swap injectors)
6) throttle body (theres is bigger but i dont reccomend it you can just stick with ours or the v6)
7) adjustable evo 8 cam gears (yes you need them our belts teeth dont match up to the sonata one so unless you cange bottom sprocket and oil pump sprocket you sol)
8) accessory belts (your gonna take them off so you should change them)
9) 5 gallon oil change jug X2( you gonna want to change oil b4 you start it and then after like 100 or so miles to clean out the head reaaaallly good)
10) bottle of marvel mystery oil (when you get the head your gonna need to take it apart and soak everything in this stuff lifters ect and pour a little on your pistons while you have the head off its good for the rings just be sure to wipe it off after)
11) full sonata head gasket set (comes with alll the gaskets)
12) aftermaket intake (optional but i dont think the stock airbox will work)
13) coolant crossover tube ( you have to have it our line curves the sonata one is straight)
14) upper radiator hose ( stock one wont work and neither will sonata so find something)
15) plenty of electrical tape (your gonna use it)
16) plenty of random wire ( you have to extend 90% of your sensor wires to fit and run neatly)
17) random nuts and bolts they come in handy
18) random silicone hose rad hose and vacuum line
19) all sonata sensors and emission control devices (optional ours will work and fit except our map/baro sensor doesnt fit there head)
20) arp head studs + bolts (optional stock work but these are better)
21) randome upper timing belt cover i dont have one so if you want one goodluck cause i havent found 1 that fits with evo 8 gears)
i think thats it ill add anything if i think of it but that gives you a good idea.

midnight
09-21-2010, 12:13 PM
nice, i feel special :thumb:

dGALANTc
09-21-2010, 01:13 PM
im sure this will help a lot of people its a great starting point at least. i intend on doing it eventually if i ever work out my current problems. thanks

reiketsutsukigami
09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
np i tried to throw in some tips on stuff i figured out and was told so that all the little stuff was in here.

midnight
09-21-2010, 09:10 PM
v6 tb check lol, i'm glad i didnt get the outlander im

reiketsutsukigami
09-21-2010, 09:16 PM
lol ya it would have just become worthless.

midnight
09-21-2010, 09:24 PM
what jy do you know of?

reiketsutsukigami
09-21-2010, 09:28 PM
center scrap has a optima with the head last time i was there and theyre the ppl who i bought mine from you could also try rockrimmon and ill check fairview salvage when i get a little time soon.

midnight
09-21-2010, 09:30 PM
thanks again!

ShiZnitH
09-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Wich non-turbo DOHC heads will fit on my 2.0l 4G63?

midnight
09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
i believe the evo heads and 98 and older hyundai/kia but I'm not entirely sure

reiketsutsukigami
09-21-2010, 09:49 PM
i am really unsure about the 4g63 but i would say its probably a safe bet to say either the evo one if it faces the same way our 8g 4g64 does and a 2g eclipse head is it faces the other.( dont quote me on this though im not 100% but i believe someone posted something about this somewhere around here.

Isaurio
09-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Good one bro.

PrityG-lant03
09-22-2010, 07:18 AM
This is the whole parts list for the DOHC swap???

reiketsutsukigami
09-22-2010, 09:38 AM
yup

midnight
09-22-2010, 09:48 AM
time for extra hours at work lol

PrityG-lant03
09-23-2010, 11:26 AM
yup

ur f*ckin awesome for this lmao..ive been lookin for someone to just post the whole parts list..thnks mann..wood this been the same parts list for the evo head swap or just the kia head swap?

reiketsutsukigami
09-23-2010, 11:56 AM
i think itll be pretty much the same youll need the same parts anyways and the evo would make for a nice n/a boost iirc it gives u a 11-12:1 comp ratio but u might need some kind of fuel management to deal with the xtra power but i dunno you would have to ask someone whos done an evo swap like stewi or i think cali has too. the sonata swap is nice cause it lower your comp for more boost just the head components are weaker so youll want to replace them when you start making heavy power.

reiketsutsukigami
09-23-2010, 12:00 PM
lol and i forgot to say but dgalantc hell if you really bent a valve with ur t belt stripped like that you might as well just do the swap.

dGALANTc
09-23-2010, 04:00 PM
i was thinking the same thing myself. but at the moment ive got some issues to take care of first you know, so if i have valve damage (still dont know for sure) ill buy a jy engine throw it in there to last long enough to get all the parts. everything is kinda pending on the gf since im currently unemployed and its not as high up on her priority list as it is mine. :( im still uncertain which direction im going to go.

midnight
09-23-2010, 05:45 PM
so reike does that mean the sonata head is best for turbo applications, what would be the difference between high and low comp?

reiketsutsukigami
09-23-2010, 09:31 PM
no cause the evo head is already built but you would need to replace the pistons b4 you could run any boost so if you wanted to use your car right away i would suggest sonata. and with higher comp you have more n/a power but you can only put in so much boost lower comp =less power but more boost

midnight
09-23-2010, 10:09 PM
ok so low comp=high boost, and high comp=low boost, i'm i on the right track?

reiketsutsukigami
09-23-2010, 10:37 PM
yup and unless your diesel 12:1 comp + boost=knock hell

djhah
05-11-2011, 04:30 PM
So would it be better to have low comp with turbo so you can fill up with more a/f mix = more power with sonata head?

reiketsutsukigami
05-11-2011, 09:17 PM
thats the way im running its been pretty beastly and im throwing 20+ psi at it with no real issues.
and as for whats better higher comp will make more power but lower comp you can run more boost so its debatable but with high comp you can build boost faster and you still have that low end power you go low comp and youll only have power in boost just a heads up like im prolly gonna go to 9.5:1 when i build my block.

djhah
05-11-2011, 10:46 PM
That's what i was thinking while reading this thread there is a 02 sanata in my local jy its the first one out of all three dohc swaps i have found in over a year of looking. I was just wondering if i should jump on it or wait for another? I am in the middle of a head gasket swap right now that's why i was wanting to do it now?

Isaurio
05-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Just do it.

dGALANTc
05-12-2011, 10:48 PM
agreed. do it now while you have the head off

djhah
05-12-2011, 11:32 PM
My biggest problem is right now i am broke (like half the world), and even though the head is only 50 bucks i still will need all the other stuff to build it ie. Cams, sprockets, valves and springs, headstuds, then not including gasket kit. That's still ranking up there in the 3 to 400+ price range just to get her running again, it has already been down for 3 months now as time and money has not been so kind lately. I don't know about you guys but i don't know how much longer i can see her sitting in my driveway in pieces, its killing me not being able to drive it. That's my delima if money was not a problem it would be done no questions asked, lol.

spdracr
05-13-2011, 12:30 AM
My biggest problem is right now i am broke (like half the world), and even though the head is only 50 bucks i still will need all the other stuff to build it ie. Cams, sprockets, valves and springs, headstuds, then not including gasket kit. That's still ranking up there in the 3 to 400+ price range just to get her running again, it has already been down for 3 months now as time and money has not been so kind lately. I don't know about you guys but i don't know how much longer i can see her sitting in my driveway in pieces, its killing me not being able to drive it. That's my delima if money was not a problem it would be done no questions asked, lol.

U don't have to completely build the head now if u want to just drive, then when u have more money take the head off then do everything u wanna do to it.

But I do suggest when u get that head from the junk yard to take it to a machine shop and check for leaky valves and get it milled if needed.

Sent from my HTC HD2

djhah
05-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Well i just did some pricing on cams and gears, holy sh@+ they are more pricy than i thought. Correct me if i read wrong but i do have to use evo cams and gears in order to use sanata/ optima head is that what i read? No local jy has any evos on yard that i have found yet or i would just go that rought = save money.

spdracr
05-13-2011, 02:29 AM
No u don't have to use the evo Cams and gears to use the sonata head, that's what I thought a while back which was the reason I didn't so mine.

Sent from my HTC HD2

reiketsutsukigami
05-13-2011, 03:08 AM
you can use the sonata cams just the evo cams are much more performance oriented i used the sonata cams for a few months when i was saving up to build my head and no issues.

djhah
05-13-2011, 07:47 AM
Sweet baby jesus that's perfect! If its still there after this weekend its mine... thinks btw that's what i was wondering before i got it.

Isaurio
05-13-2011, 12:56 PM
I have a set of OEM evo 8 cam gear for sale dont need them since i got the adjustable. Let me know.

spdracr
05-13-2011, 01:56 PM
I have a set of OEM evo 8 cam gear for sale dont need them since i got the adjustable. Let me know.

Why would he wanna use the oem gears when he can use the sonata cam gears and use the 94 gs timing belt with it ??

Sent from my HTC HD2

Isaurio
05-13-2011, 02:15 PM
True. but is all about the price. he could go eather way. 94 galant gs belt will fit the evo cam gear just fine.

spdracr
05-13-2011, 02:55 PM
True. but is all about the price. he could go eather way. 94 galant gs belt will fit the evo cam gear just fine.

Has that been confirmed ?? Cuz I thought they have different tooth count.

Sent from my HTC HD2

Isaurio
05-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Yes is confirmed on evom. That belt is the best fit for the swap. the evo belt fit but very tight and you need to ajust the cams gear to -4. The 1994 Mitsubishi galant GS is the only 2.4L DOHC Galant ever produce by mitsubishi.

reiketsutsukigami
05-13-2011, 03:36 PM
yea you need to pick up isaurios gears btw i think i mentioned it in the list but the hyundai gears dont match our belts different teeth shape and size or you can get the sonata oil pump and bottom sproket but thats more of a pain then its worth.

reiketsutsukigami
05-13-2011, 03:37 PM
p.s. im using and evo 8 belt with evo 8 adjustable gears not too tight of a fit if you ask me but ehh who knows.

Isaurio
05-13-2011, 03:39 PM
yea you need to pick up isaurios gears btw i think i mentioned it in the list but the hyundai gears dont match our belts different teeth shape and size or you can get the sonata oil pump and bottom sproket but thats more of a pain then its worth.

Do you know if the evo camshaft will fit the sonata head? Not sure about that since the evo ones have a more agressive timing.

Isaurio
05-13-2011, 03:42 PM
p.s. im using and evo 8 belt with evo 8 adjustable gears not too tight of a fit if you ask me but ehh who knows.

yeah like i said it works and yes you need the adjustable cam gear at least one. But best fit and for better durability on the long run. The 94 galant gs is the best choice for the setup. I did a lot of research since i'm crosing over to the 4g64/63T platform

djhah
05-13-2011, 03:45 PM
Dang isaurio i was just thinking of asking that.

dGALANTc
05-14-2011, 12:56 PM
so let me get this right if you run the sonata cam gears the 94 gs belt will work? you wouldnt need the adjustables? i always thought you needed at least 1 adjustable to time it properly.

reiketsutsukigami
05-14-2011, 01:02 PM
adjustable gears will make your life easier and you can pick them up for cheap enough on ebay and evo cams , springs, and retainers all work in the sonata head im running stock evo 8 cams w/ bc springs and tit retainers for the evo 8.

reiketsutsukigami
05-14-2011, 01:02 PM
and no you cant run the sonata cam gears the size of the teeth on the belt wont fit.

reiketsutsukigami
05-14-2011, 01:04 PM
not to mention the evo i/m will also fit the sonata head.

spdracr
05-14-2011, 02:00 PM
From my research iirc both i/m's are identical

As a matter of fact I have both and I could get side to side pics for reference of needed.

not to mention the evo i/m will also fit the sonata head.

Sent from my HTC HD2

djhah
05-14-2011, 03:25 PM
So is the sonata cams, valves and springs good enough to run with low psi boosted or would i still need to upgrade them also as for my future plans are to be boosted, but that's far future.

Isaurio
05-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Question is can the evo oem camshaft fit the sonata head?

spdracr
05-14-2011, 05:29 PM
Question is can the evo oem camshaft fit the sonata head?

Yes

Sent from my HTC HD2

reiketsutsukigami
05-14-2011, 09:45 PM
and no the i/m are different spd the evo one is shorter by a lot you can't fit a stb with the sonata and yes i currently have evo 8 OEM camshafts in my sonata head. and djah yes theyre fine for mid range psi like 8-15psi is fine with the stock sonata head youll get more out of it with upgrading to evo parts but whatev.

mrg7243
05-14-2011, 10:13 PM
yeah like i said it works and yes you need the adjustable cam gear at least one. But best fit and for better durability on the long run. The 94 galant gs is the best choice for the setup. I did a lot of research since i'm crosing over to the 4g64/63T platform

yes i got negged on clug3g for sayig the same thing. Isuario is correct. think of doing a t-belt job its a pita the first time trying to get everything tight, but now you just went and put on a belt that is meant for a block 6mm shorter than yours hmmmm well this puts alot more stress on the belt than necessary. So why not just go for the correct belt for little price difference. But in the end it could be cheaper, more stress on belt= belt failure= possibly motor damage.:clay:

spdracr
05-14-2011, 10:15 PM
and no the i/m are different spd the evo one is shorter by a lot you can't fit a stb with the sonata and yes i currently have evo 8 OEM camshafts in my sonata head. and djah yes theyre fine for mid range psi like 8-15psi is fine with the stock sonata head youll get more out of it with upgrading to evo parts but whatev.

I was only able to compare them through pics only since I didn't have them in hand but now I could look at them side by side

Sent from my HTC HD2

spdracr
05-14-2011, 10:17 PM
yes i got negged on clug3g for sayig the same thing. Isuario is correct. think of doing a t-belt job its a pita the first time trying to get everything tight, but now you just went and put on a belt that is meant for a block 6mm shorter than yours hmmmm well this puts alot more stress on the belt than necessary. So why not just go for the correct belt for little price difference. But in the end it could be cheaper, more stress on belt= belt failure= possibly motor damage.:clay:

So u r saying the 94 gs belt is the better route, right ??

Sent from my HTC HD2

Galantman03
05-14-2011, 10:33 PM
I would say so, because the tensionor is used to tension up the slack.. so as long as thats working as it should. Personally, I would rather have my belt split 4 teeth and have it run like crap versus breaking and causing a total loss of engine lol...

spdracr
05-14-2011, 11:11 PM
I would say so, because the tensionor is used to tension up the slack.. so as long as thats working as it should. Personally, I would rather have my belt split 4 teeth and have it run like crap versus breaking and causing a total loss of engine lol...

Very true

Sent from my HTC HD2

reiketsutsukigami
05-15-2011, 02:47 AM
if you can get the "right" 94 gs belt then definitely go with it but i got 4 diff belts from autozone and advanced and they fked up or something cause not a single one fit so i ended up going with the evo one witch honestly wasnt all that tight slides on and off without much more struggle then the stock belt had but im going to be going to the gates evo8 belt soon just to be on the safe side for strength.

bigvic
06-02-2011, 10:45 AM
So with this head swap, should i still pass smog in cali?

mrg7243
06-02-2011, 11:22 AM
So u r saying the 94 gs belt is the better route, right ??

Sent from my HTC HD2

Correct it is the best option IMEHO, i woundlnt even do the swap till i had the belt in my hands.

reiketsutsukigami
06-02-2011, 11:59 AM
@bigvic im unsure about that it's only adding a different stock part to the car but i dont know much about calis smog restrictions but i cant see how they would fail you for it.

bigvic
06-02-2011, 01:04 PM
O ok bc i was thinking that if it has the emission control and all it should b ok, I was jus wondering.

djhah
06-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Just curious but has anyone tried dsm cam gears say off of a 1g or 2g, or is the evo gears the best rought? Because i have a friend that has lots of extra parts that he was throwing out, i was wondering if i should grab some gears from him, incase i decide to do this swap instead of the evo head.

reiketsutsukigami
06-04-2011, 09:27 PM
im not sure but i think 2g cam gears might work not sure though.

reiketsutsukigami
06-04-2011, 09:28 PM
but even with the evo head you need gears no matter what block is 6mm taller in deck height.

djhah
06-04-2011, 09:42 PM
So no matter what adjustable gears are the only way for it to work? Am i undestanding correctly, or am i confused now? I have one more jy to check for evo head if its no good it looks like i am doing the sonata swap.

underated
06-04-2011, 10:48 PM
bigvic no you will not pass smog legally in CA with that swap. CA does visual and a 2 speed roller test. it sucks i know

94 galant gs belt works perfect... no need for adjustable gears either, but if you do want them look up Pro Street Lancer Evolution EVO Cam Gears i got both of mine for around 120. not sure how much they are now.

djhah
06-06-2011, 11:11 PM
bigvic no you will not pass smog legally in CA with that swap. CA does visual and a 2 speed roller test. it sucks i know

94 galant gs belt works perfect... no need for adjustable gears either, but if you do want them look up Pro Street Lancer Evolution EVO Cam Gears i got both of mine for around 120. not sure how much they are now.
Ok thinks man 120 isn't to bad for adjustables thought.

bigvic
06-20-2011, 09:27 AM

So a hyundai or an evo head swap wont pass smog? Bc I heard as long as its the same manuf its somewhat ok bt I cnt mix and match manuf.... damn this sux in CA all these damn restrictions...

Isaurio
06-20-2011, 09:50 AM
You could pass only if you have stock air box and you dont have any CEL. But is ok if you do a DOHC as log you keep the settup stock.

bigvic
06-20-2011, 11:08 AM
You could pass only if you have stock air box and you dont have any CEL. But is ok if you do a DOHC as log you keep the settup stock.

Oh ok... hmmmmm im gonna have to do more research for now then. Thx anywho

greddy
05-08-2012, 02:47 PM
been reading up on this for a while, I'm gonna go with the Hyundai head, just to confirm I can use the stock hyundai cam gears with a 94GS timing belt correct? and I would just run the sonta head gasket correct?

troubled4g64t
05-08-2012, 03:40 PM
better off to use the adjustable anyhow for tuning and if your doing the swap do it once. And as for head gasket get an oem evo h/g guys are not likeing the cometic ones right now.

Isaurio
05-08-2012, 05:19 PM
been reading up on this for a while, I'm gonna go with the Hyundai head, just to confirm I can use the stock hyundai cam gears with a 94GS timing belt correct? and I would just run the sonta head gasket correct?

Correct. But you need at least one adjustable cam gear 2 for best setup. The 94GS belt is the correct belt.

Pm me. I have some evo parts for sale that you could use.

underated
05-08-2012, 05:30 PM
wrong!!!! you cant use hyundai gears or the stock galant sohc gears. you need evo camgears dont buy anything else. and dont but the evo head gasket. just get and oem galant headgasket they are multi layerd steel now. thats what im using and its working fine . even at an 88mm bore

underated
05-08-2012, 05:43 PM
here is why the sonata/optima/galant gears and reluctors dont work

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b159/4G64T/reluctor%20and%20cam%20gear%20comparison/DSCN2849.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b159/4G64T/reluctor%20and%20cam%20gear%20comparison/DSCN2855.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b159/4G64T/reluctor%20and%20cam%20gear%20comparison/DSCN2856.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b159/4G64T/reluctor%20and%20cam%20gear%20comparison/DSCN2862.jpg

Isaurio
05-08-2012, 06:24 PM
Thats what i mean. Evo adjustable gear. Is for a fact the galant dont work

mrg7243
05-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Thats what i mean. Evo adjustable gear. Is for a fact the galant dont work

you need 2 evo cam gears one adjustable and one not or if you prefer both

greddy
05-08-2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the info Brandon, just to clarify the SOHC galant stock head gasket will be fine with the DOHC swap? And I need 2 evo cam gears, preferably having @ least 1 adjustable corret?

underated
05-10-2012, 12:24 PM
yep good to go after that. do you already have the rear water pipe and thermostat housing?