PDA

View Full Version : mas/maf from a 2001 montero sport

laosboyroy
03-12-2003, 02:43 PM
mas/maf, whatever you wanna call it. you think it would work on our cars, cuz i need a new one since i took out the honeycombs from mine. so anyone know if it would fit it. looks like ours just dont know if the plug in will fit
thanks. :cry:

pinoyesv6
03-12-2003, 02:46 PM
its different. they look very similar but its very different inside. as for using it, im not really sure if its just plug and play or if u have to do any rewiring. but im leaning towards at least some rewiring

manybrews
03-12-2003, 05:13 PM
its not the same.

And removing the honeycomb is NOT a good idea.

peanotation
03-12-2003, 05:19 PM
what does it matter about that honeycomb thing? i've heard a lot about it, it doesn't look like it does ANYTHING at all. i just kept it there cause its not like the air wont fit through it....

pinoyesv6
03-12-2003, 05:46 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>what does it matter about that honeycomb thing? i've heard a lot about it, it doesn't look like it does ANYTHING at all. i just kept it there cause its not like the air wont fit through it....</div>

to summarize it, the honeycombs help give the MAS get a better reading

manybrews
03-12-2003, 08:25 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(peanotation)</div><div class='quotemain'>what does it matter about that honeycomb thing? i've heard a lot about it, it doesn't look like it does ANYTHING at all. i just kept it there cause its not like the air wont fit through it....</div>
its one of the most important parts of the MAF sensor.
dont you think that if it was unimportant, they wouldnt even bother installing it?

It straightens the airflow out, which is incredibly important on a karmann vortex MAF sensor like the mitsus.

And heres another little tidbit of info.. in 11 years, the ONLY MAF sensors i have EVER replaced have either 1)gone under water, or 2)been modified.

No other reasons, ever.
And the ratio of failures is about 10 modified to 1 under water.

JiP
03-12-2003, 09:05 PM
There is talk on the other group about using GM sensor and a GM to Karman converter, the GM MAS is huge compared to ours. The converter is needed to convert the voltage type signal into frequency which is what our ECU expects to read. Karman vortex output frequency changes to show airflow, now voltage.

JiP
03-12-2003, 09:06 PM
O ye, pricewise, the GM sensor is pretty cheap, like $60, but the converter I dont remember how much.

manybrews
03-12-2003, 09:19 PM
GM makes crap. Dont use anything from them from their electronics bin, and ESPECIALLY dont use their MAF sensors.

JiP
03-12-2003, 09:56 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(manybrews)</div><div class='quotemain'>GM makes crap. Â*Dont use anything from them from their electronics bin, and ESPECIALLY dont use their MAF sensors.</div>

Lol you tend to hate anything non mitsu, or anyones silly performance ideas https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif I cant say from experience I have never even seen a pic of the maf.

IllestGalant
03-12-2003, 10:28 PM
hey sorry to say manybrews, but I work for GM for over three years now and have gm associates degree. There is more wiring under the seat of a Denali then in all of our cars, the new envoys have 16 computers, yes I said 16. When you have such advanced technology, some bugs are going to happen.

manybrews
03-12-2003, 10:55 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IllestGalant)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey sorry to say manybrews, but I work for GM for over three years now and have gm associates degree. There is more wiring under the seat of a Denali then in all of our cars, the new envoys have 16 computers, yes I said 16. When you have such advanced technology, some bugs are going to happen.</div>
well, im sorry to say that ive worked on cars for 11 years, and it has nothing to do with anything.

Trust me when i say GM has about the worst electronics on the planet. with the exception of 60s british cars, and a few south korean models, GM has a pretty crummy record. Because GM has ALWAYS been about the bottom line, and as such they cut corners like no other company.. Always low-balling their suppliers, and taking the cheap way out.

Incidently, mitsu had 14 computers on their cars 11 years ago. 16 is nothing special. In fact, its sloppy engineering, if you ask me.

IllestGalant
03-13-2003, 09:10 PM
they didn't have 14 computers 11 years ago, so what cars are these???

JiP
03-13-2003, 09:15 PM
16 is nothing special. In fact, its sloppy engineering, if you ask me.

Agreed.

IllestGalant
03-13-2003, 09:23 PM
take it easy guys, I'm not saying mitsu's suck, I drive one and love it. I am just saying don't knock GM so much. Yes they do have many electrical problems, but it is only because the have very advanced technology. i.e. compression sense ignition, onstar, rain sensors, reverse sensors, vehicle stability enhancment system, magnetic ride control, "the" Hydramatic Transmission that over 50% of car manafacturers have to buy from GM because they can't make their own like Volvo for ex., also GM has drive by wire, electric power steering, moveable gas and brake pedal, the most complex 4wd system on the market, god the list goes on forever... cut em some slack

manybrews
03-14-2003, 05:04 PM
take it easy guys, I'm not saying mitsu's suck, I drive one and love it. I am just saying don't knock GM so much. Yes they do have many electrical problems, but it is only because the have very advanced technology. i.e. compression sense ignition, onstar, rain sensors, reverse sensors, vehicle stability enhancment system, magnetic ride control, "the" Hydramatic Transmission that over 50% of car manafacturers have to buy from GM because they can't make their own like Volvo for ex., also GM has drive by wire, electric power steering, moveable gas and brake pedal, the most complex 4wd system on the market, god the list goes on forever... cut em some slack
look, man, GM is FAR from high tech. There are very few companies using GM trannies but for GM and subsidiaries, and all these other things are actually ancient tech that others have done for years. Plus, they dont have anywhere near the most advanced 4WD system on the market.

the only thing GM really has going for it is the ability to mass produce their stuff cheaply due to the massive pressure they apply to their suppliers, and the massive revenue built up from selling their incredibly overpriced trucks. Hell, they make a 7 grand gross profit on each full sized truck they sell, because there is so little tech in them.

Im not totally bashing GM, but you have got to see that they dont produce cars for drivers, but rather cars for consumers.

Two of my ex-roomates have worked for chevy (one still does), and they both realize this.

regardless, im not trying to start an argument. Im just pointing out facts.

laosboyroy
03-15-2003, 01:44 PM
well I dont need that mas no more I got one at a junkyard for 45 bucks and my car runs better now thanks for the help guys. :wink:

IllestGalant
03-15-2003, 03:02 PM
nevermind

jiul
03-22-2003, 12:54 PM
That's exactly what it does.

It straightens the airflow out, which is incredibly important on a karmann vortex MAF sensor like the mitsus.

If you can take out a honeycomb, any one would do of any size , blow smoke through it in front of a fan, you'll see it. Just don't do it indoors LOL

SmokesGTP
03-22-2003, 11:29 PM
Well I can offer a neutral opinion because I own a GM and a mitsu and to me it seems as if the wiring and electronics in the mitsu is cheap japanese crap compared to the gm's cheap american crap. Although after this alarm problem in the mitsu and them telling me I have to replace the whole wiring harness in the car I think the mitsu electronics are worse.