PDA

View Full Version : New to The Center and Newly Purchased Galant

hudsont8
10-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Hey guys. Just bought a 2001 Galant and I am looking to make some modifications to this car immediately. I love the car, but hate the grille. I just hate the overall design of the 2001 Grille. So this is the first adjustment I want to make.

I also want to swap out the head lights and tail lights. After some cosmetic mods, I'd like to get in to some performance stuff.

Budget is pretty open however my experience is zilch, natta, zero. To tell you the truth, I've never even changed my own oil. I've been so work driven, I've never allowed myself to have any fun. Now I am. And this Galant seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Hopefully I can get some good input, and being an inexperienced newb wont hold me back too much.

Thanks a lot guys. I've read through a lot of stuff on here and learned more in the last couple hours than I've ever know. I don't want to get carried away, but found some nice tail/head lights on JDM. But really need to get this grille situation resolved.

zobgel
10-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Welcome to TGC!

blue8g
10-02-2010, 01:41 AM
Hey guys. Just bought a 2001 Galant and I am looking to make some modifications to this car immediately. I love the car, but hate the grille. I just hate the overall design of the 2001 Grille. So this is the first adjustment I want to make.

I also want to swap out the head lights and tail lights. After some cosmetic mods, I'd like to get in to some performance stuff.

Budget is pretty open however my experience is zilch, natta, zero. To tell you the truth, I've never even changed my own oil. I've been so work driven, I've never allowed myself to have any fun. Now I am. And this Galant seemed like the perfect opportunity.

Hopefully I can get some good input, and being an inexperienced newb wont hold me back too much.

Thanks a lot guys. I've read through a lot of stuff on here and learned more in the last couple hours than I've ever know. I don't want to get carried away, but found some nice tail/head lights on JDM. But really need to get this grille situation resolved.

Hi. I recommend you go through the member's ride and project sections to see which set-ups you like. And although you're a bit out of the way, we have some knowledgeable members in WI/IL

Predat-R
10-02-2010, 07:39 AM
welcome

BayAreaGalant
10-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Welcome!... Like blue8g said, check out peoples thread build and see the type of grills they have and maybe you'll see something you want. The creativity is up to you. Lots of info for you to seek.
I believe most of us didnt have much experience too but if you do some research and ask questions then you certainly can teach yourself new things.

ShiZnitH
10-02-2010, 12:19 PM
Welcome to TGC :) Im shure im not the only 1 who misses pics of ur G ;)

hudsont8
10-02-2010, 12:35 PM
Quick question. Would I be able to put this grill on as a simple swap, or would further mod need to be done:
http://depoautolights.com/mitsubishi-galant-grille-black-p-482.html?osCsid=81ad94b74e5334f6399b0402113c0f61

hudsont8
10-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Also are euro lights a thing of the past?!?! Looking at many of the builds on here, VERY few people have elected to go with the circular euro lights.

Stepsascend
10-02-2010, 12:37 PM
You'll need JDM headlights for that grille to fit.

99 galant
10-02-2010, 12:39 PM
Welcome, and yes, a lot of people prefer JDM tails compared to the euros aka altezzas

hudsont8
10-02-2010, 12:40 PM
So if I order a set of these headlights:
http://depoautolights.com/mitsubishi-galant-original-dual-projector-headlights-p-480.html?osCsid=e5ffa0475c4b966ea8eca4b92bd1354a

and that grille at the same time. Then I should just be able to swap them out with out any further mod?!?!

M-Rod
10-02-2010, 12:45 PM
the headlights will require some modification to your car in order to fit. Check out the tutorials section for the 8G. There should be a jdm headlight tutorial.

hudsont8
10-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Okay are there any headlights that would still be sharp, but would go with that JDM grille without any further modifications, or are all JDM head lights going to require some modifications to the vehicle.

Also, can someone explain to me why there is such an outrage against altezzas.

99 galant
10-02-2010, 02:01 PM
Most just don't like how the altezzas don't have a clean flow

blue8g
10-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Okay are there any headlights that would still be sharp, but would go with that JDM grille without any further modifications, or are all JDM head lights going to require some modifications to the vehicle.

Also, can someone explain to me why there is such an outrage against altezzas.

There isn't an outrage. They are just ugly, but that's all personal preference.

Personally, these are my favorite:

JDM 3rd Gens
http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww2/Gbaby2089/Galant/_MG_6261copy-1.jpg

But there are also:

JDM 2nd Gens
http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp228/sarukhan12/P1010670.jpg

JDM Aspires
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y195/gqgalant/982c897c.jpg

All clear JDM's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPNmAjWYfiA

(right around 0:26)

or Altezzas

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee207/HD-SPDFRK/Galant/DSC_0016.jpg

To members Greddy, 2kgalant, rez887, or SPD_FRK if you want the pics down just lmk

hudsont8
10-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Those 3rd gen's are really nice.... and that just happens to be the same color vehicle as mine..... Maybe it's a coinkydink!!

So now what about head lights that I can use with the above listed grille, without making any other mods to fit them.

Galantfan88
10-02-2010, 02:21 PM
Welcome to TGC...deff check out some builds here and youll get alot of ideas where you wanna head to.

ShiZnitH
10-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Welcome, and yes, a lot of people prefer JDM tails compared to the euros aka altezzas

Why the hell do u guys call the Altezzas Euros?? FIrst of all those light aint popular over here at all and second of all the tails in asia is the same we have on our Gs in little europe ;) Dont put the euro name into the fugly TYC tails :lol:

XxGiRLaNT06xX
10-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Welcome!!

Corey2kG
10-02-2010, 06:55 PM
Welcome!!!

mrg7243
10-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Why the hell do u guys call the Altezzas Euros?? FIrst of all those light aint popular over here at all and second of all the tails in asia is the same we have on our Gs in little europe ;) Dont put the euro name into the fugly TYC tails :lol:

hahahahahahah, welcome, to have to trim a headlight tab a little if i remeber correctly. I am sure anyone who is somewhat handy with thier hands then they could do it. many memeber sould help walk you through it.

Reelax
10-02-2010, 08:21 PM
Why the hell do u guys call the Altezzas Euros?? FIrst of all those light aint popular over here at all and second of all the tails in asia is the same we have on our Gs in little europe ;) Dont put the euro name into the fugly TYC tails :lol:hahahahahahah, welcome, to have to trim a headlight tab a little if i remeber correctly. I am sure anyone who is somewhat handy with thier hands then they could do it. many memeber sould help walk you through it.

huh? what does that have to do w/ a european objecting to people calling altezzas euro?

and if you are talking about mounting JDM headlights... it takes much more than trimming a tab. i wrote a tutorial for JDM headlights almost 10 years ago. here u go:

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/showthread.php?t=14544

hudsont8
10-02-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm thinking about just replacing the head lights with the OEM ebay "projector" head lights. But here is my question. On this ebay ad, there is a Black mesh grill with a red mits logo in the middle. WHERE CAN I GET THIS Grille, and is this a simple mod, I'm trying to just replace these without any further mods/cutting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-03-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-LED-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-BLACK-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a2001Q7cModelQ3aGala ntQQhashZitem4cf21b4f48QQitemZ330479390536QQptZMot orsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6174wt_ 1165

Censee
10-02-2010, 08:38 PM
welcome

Da_Prodigy
10-02-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm thinking about just replacing the head lights with the OEM ebay "projector" head lights. But here is my question. On this ebay ad, there is a Black mesh grill with a red mits logo in the middle. WHERE CAN I GET THIS Grille, and is this a simple mod, I'm trying to just replace these without any further mods/cutting.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-03-MITSUBISHI-GALANT-LED-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHTS-BLACK-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQfitsZYearQ3a2001Q7cModelQ3aGala ntQQhashZitem4cf21b4f48QQitemZ330479390536QQptZMot orsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6174wt_ 1165

It's a normal grille that comes with the 99-01 galante here in the US except it'd been modified by cutting of the fins and and they just put the rear Mitsubishi logo on the front. If you want to buy the eBay headlighs go ahead but it won't fit that previous grille you said you bought. JDM headlights will fit that grille and to be honest most of the quality on some of the eBay headlights aren't the best. The JDM headlights have to be modified to fit on our cars but it's nothing too hard trust me I'm sure you will like the JDM headlights better than the eBay ones.

Oh yea welcome to TGC :D

blue8g
10-02-2010, 11:27 PM
To the OP

Just get some 02/03 heads, do the mod Prodigy just described, throw on an integra lip, drop it, wheels.

BANG. Car will look great.

hudsont8
10-03-2010, 12:36 AM
So just cut out the fins... obviously sand it down and paint it. Then just throw a Back End logo on there. And that will look that sharp?? I REALLY LIKE THAT LOOK, from that ebay post.

That grill. But thats all I got to do? Cut out the fins, sand it down, and paint it black?? If so, I think that is the plan... Because that look is winning me over. I'm not trying to win any competitions, just want a daily driver that looks pretty sick.

I haven't ordered anything yet... But I'm thinking that I'll end up with the ebay lights, if that grill mod is as easy as that.

DTP
10-03-2010, 12:42 AM
So just cut out the fins... obviously sand it down and paint it. Then just throw a Back End logo on there. And that will look that sharp?? I REALLY LIKE THAT LOOK, from that ebay post.

That grill. But thats all I got to do? Cut out the fins, sand it down, and paint it black?? If so, I think that is the plan... Because that look is winning me over. I'm not trying to win any competitions, just want a daily driver that looks pretty sick.

I haven't ordered anything yet... But I'm thinking that I'll end up with the ebay lights, if that grill mod is as easy as that.

There's a tutorial on that one... Make sure you paint the radiator support black as well. If i can find the link Reelax posted on one of my threads i'll share; it includes a full list of tutorials. You can also open the heads up, and paint the insides (not the reflectors) black. Clear 'em too.

Rome22
01-08-2012, 11:58 AM
Welcome!