PDA

View Full Version : spoiler question

keith6110
10-04-2010, 11:13 PM
USDM VS JDM?

I'm trying to figure out which spoiler is USDM and which is JDM for our 8th gen galants

USDM?
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/my%20galant/Galantnewspoilerlight-lightupclose.jpg

JDM?
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/2/3543/3341/21356670003_large.jpg

This picture appears to be an oem VR-4 car.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z288/keith6110/random/4023100044_large.jpg

I have never been this confused about usdm and jdm parts lol. I think it's driving me crazy.

Rach3T8G
10-04-2010, 11:22 PM
they both look the same to me

keith6110
10-04-2010, 11:25 PM
ohh lol, forgot to point out the obvious. The JDM? one has a smaller light than the USDM? one

The one with the smaller light it also located near the middle of the spoiler instead of the end.

beam514
10-04-2010, 11:57 PM
The "JDM?" one is BJ's car right? Anyway my USDM spoiler looks exactly like that. The LED section is kind of "sunken in" to the spoiler, with some nice accent lines. It's hard to tell with the top image because it's kind of blurry, but are the LEDs flush with the edge of the spoiler? If so, then that is not a USDM spoiler

tamim13
10-05-2010, 12:00 AM
I think both of those are uSDM. The one at the bottom definitely is a USDM galant too. Here's a picture I found, it pretty much coincides with your description ^^

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_WKmry7pciLc/TKqwroa17wI/AAAAAAAAAXU/dypgEEoJ1Ho/s400/galant_jdm_spoiler.jpg

beam514
10-05-2010, 12:04 AM
yeah I'm pretty sure the USDM spoiler is essentially the VR-4 spoiler or whatever

dGALANTc
10-05-2010, 12:31 AM
for some reason i was thinking that the gtz came with a different spoiler than say an es. but i may be wrong i have that first one you posted on my car. so i know for sure thats usdm.

Da_Prodigy
10-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Hard to tell with top pic but the 2nd pic definitely is USDM

Reelax
10-05-2010, 12:47 AM
i'll look it up on CAPS later... i think they might be the same part# hence same part.

fyi, all USDM 8G's that were equipped with a stock spoiler used the same exact one.

02redgalant
10-05-2010, 12:56 AM
only variance you'll find between usdm is whether there oem or non-oem i have a non-oem the led strip is a bit longer..and i have clear led strip

keith6110
10-05-2010, 06:01 AM
only variance you'll find between usdm is whether there oem or non-oem i have a non-oem the led strip is a bit longer..and i have clear led strip

Okay, the led strip on mine is clear as well. The spoiler I have is the one with the light flush with the end. I went and bought the other spoiler thinking its jdm. Maybe the long led was a 99 only thing?

Reelax
10-05-2010, 06:03 AM
according to USDM CAPS:

GTZ cal/fed/can spec spoiler = PNC 70408
LS V6 cal/fed/can spec spoiler = PNC 70408
ES V6 cal/fed/can spec spoiler = PNC 70408

according to JDM CAPS:

JDM VR-4 (EC5A) spoiler = PNC 70408
JDM VR-G (EA1A) spoiler = PNC 70408

so basically, the difference between the OEM USDM spoiler and the OEM JDM spoiler is shipping and customs fees.

this might be why u are having a hard time figuring out the differences... the spoiler just happens to be one of those rare parts that the USDM and JDM share.

keith6110
10-05-2010, 09:52 AM
according to USDM CAPS:

GTZ cal/fed/can spec spoiler = PNC 70408
LS V6 cal/fed/can spec spoiler = PNC 70408
ES V6 cal/fed/can spec spoiler = PNC 70408

according to JDM CAPS:

JDM VR-4 (EC5A) spoiler = PNC 70408
JDM VR-G (EA1A) spoiler = PNC 70408

so basically, the difference between the OEM USDM spoiler and the OEM JDM spoiler is shipping and customs fees.

this might be why u are having a hard time figuring out the differences... the spoiler just happens to be one of those rare parts that the USDM and JDM share.

Thanks for sticking your hands and my thread and doing some research man. I had posted a better pic of the first spoiler. I had found a pic I took of my car to give people a better idea.

The first pic has 4 screws for the spoiler led where the 2nd pic has 2 screws.

So do we conclude both are USDM?

Reelax
10-05-2010, 05:07 PM
i think that someone stated the only differences would be OEM vs. aftermarket. even the LED part#'s match up through CAPS. i did not check for original/update differences (8GA v. 8GB). maybe there is a difference there? i will look later.

Isaurio
10-05-2010, 07:57 PM
I think both of those are uSDM. The one at the bottom definitely is a USDM galant too. Here's a picture I found, it pretty much coincides with your description ^^

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_WKmry7pciLc/TKqwroa17wI/AAAAAAAAAXU/dypgEEoJ1Ho/s400/galant_jdm_spoiler.jpg

Mine is like that. I saw my friend GTZ spoiler and hes is different than mines.

look
http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/ww267/isaurio/DSC00450.jpg

keith6110
10-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Alright thanks guys. I guess I'm putting the non gtz on lol. I like it better than mine on my car so. Thanks for doing some research and giving me some general knowledge about these 2 spoilers. I guess the only offical JDM spoiler would be the super vr4 high rise wing.

Isaurio
10-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Alright thanks guys. I guess I'm putting the non gtz on lol. I like it better than mine on my car so. Thanks for doing some research and giving me some general knowledge about these 2 spoilers. I guess the only offical JDM spoiler would be the super vr4 high rise wing.

The super vr4 is way different

beam514
10-05-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm confused.. what does yours look like Keith?

Reelax
10-05-2010, 10:28 PM
umm i am confused... GTZ, non GTZ, and JDM are exactly the same in regards to the spoiler according to mitsubishi... C.A.P.S. (CAR AUTO PARTS SEARCH) is MMC/MMNA's official parts identifier/look up program... if they were different parts, they would have different part numbers. the differences you are seeing appear to b between OEM and aftermarket parts.

Rach3T8G
10-05-2010, 10:29 PM
^thats what i thought

keith6110
10-05-2010, 10:33 PM
I'm confused.. what does yours look like Keith?

Mine is the first picture thats posted with the clear Leds in it.

Reelax
10-06-2010, 01:57 AM
Mine is the first picture thats posted with the clear Leds in it.

so the one you have on your car now, is it aftermarket or did it come w/ the car new (making it OEM for sure)?

keith6110
10-06-2010, 07:47 AM
so the one you have on your car now, is it aftermarket or did it come w/ the car new (making it OEM for sure)?

The one on my car is oem.

I updated the first post with a picture of a Galant Vr-4 in UK. It looks like it has the smaller spoiler.

Reelax
10-06-2010, 08:43 AM
The one on my car is oem.

I updated the first post with a picture of a Galant Vr-4 in UK. It looks like it has the smaller spoiler.

are you sure ur spoiler is OEM? have you had the car since it was new or bought the spoiler new at the dealership?

i can look up part#'s in CAPS EUROPE later, but i'm pretty sure it's the same part# as before, hence the same part. also all the UK VR-4's were made in japan, and we already established that the JDM VR-4 spoiler is identical to the USDM one, so that should give you a clue to what the outcome of the serach will yeild.

you appear to be over thinking this and going about it backwards... unless you can be sure that all the wings you are comparing are OEM (not aftermarket), and that you are not simply seeing things, you really are not gonna be able to compare JDM v. worldspec v. USDM. the variations you might find might just be between manufacturers (numerous aftermarket v. OEM). according to mitsubishi motors, they only have 1 part number which means mitsu makes 1 spoiler for all thsese markets and the variation you might be seeing is not in their design and manufacture.

keith6110
10-06-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm the second owner of this car, so I can't be 100%. It was on it when I bought it.

Did I just discover my car has an aftermarket spoiler? Lol

tamim13
10-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Maybe the spoiler is the OEM one, but just the LEDs were changed by the previous owner? Isn't that possible?

beam514
10-06-2010, 03:06 PM
^^no, because the oem spoiler LEDs location is pretty far sunken into the spoiler itself. Essentially if you were looking with a bird's eye view on the top of the spoiler, and had x-ray vision, you would see that the LED assembly sits about in the middle of the spoiler, front to back. Not only would the LED assembly have to be huge to be flush with the edge, but it would also have to be specially molded for the shape of the spoiler along that edge because it's not square.

Reelax
10-06-2010, 03:30 PM
I'm the second owner of this car, so I can't be 100%. It was on it when I bought it.

Did I just discover my car has an aftermarket spoiler? Lol

i think you're on the right track now. to me, yours is the only one that looks different from any of the others you've posted.

keith6110
10-06-2010, 05:56 PM
i think you're on the right track now. to me, yours is the only one that looks different from any of the others you've posted.

Yea, I guess I just never thought that mine was any different. The led replacement for my spoiler was extremely easy to get making me think they have a lot of spoilers like mine. I'm switching mine over to the other style anyway. Man what a headache...

Reelax
10-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Yea, I guess I just never thought that mine was any different. The led replacement for my spoiler was extremely easy to get making me think they have a lot of spoilers like mine. I'm switching mine over to the other style anyway. Man what a headache...

honestly, it's not that big of a deal is it? it's so minor of a detail between the spoiler you have and the spoiler you are replacing it with (only difference appears to be LED lense color and placement). not worth getting any headache over really.

keith6110
10-06-2010, 08:48 PM
honestly, it's not that big of a deal is it? it's so minor of a detail between the spoiler you have and the spoiler you are replacing it with (only difference appears to be LED lense color and placement). not worth getting any headache over really.

No, It's really not a big deal. I just like to know the difference between parts and what part it is I'm putting on. Just adds to my ever expanding knowledge about my Galant I guess. Not a problem, I appreciate the help to get to the bottom of this though lol.