PDA

View Full Version : 7g Timing belt alignment especially Camshaft

raszpel
10-12-2010, 01:34 AM
So I have a replacement head on my block, machined and all, new gaskets. But I have run into a worrisome problem. I have a Chilton Manual that shows the alignment for my 96 2.4 at 9:00 flat with the top of the head. But I have seen info on other Galant sites that says the camshaft for my motor should be aligned at 12:00 straight up. Does anyone know of some online pics or have done one of my 96 2.4's that can help me with the confusion. I do not want to trash my new head and valves.
Thanks in Advance.

eksz
10-12-2010, 02:41 AM
Its at 12:00 for the 2.4 SOHC. The Haynes manual shows the camshaft timing mark is located at 12:00 (page 2A-12, figure 7.48) There should be a mark on the edge of the valve cover that aligns with the mark on the camshaft gear (page 2A-12, figure 7.46)

The Chilton manual I assume you are using has figure 159 on page 3-39 which shows the timimg mark at 12:00 but says that is for the 1.8L and 2.0L engines. Figure 181 on page 3-42 says it is for the 2.4 and shows the timing marks at 09:00. I think Chilton just got it wrong. Just be sure you are aligning the mark on the camshaft gear against the mark on the valve cover. I have both manuals and feel the Haynes manual did a better job on the timing belt replacement proceedure. PM me your email address and I'll email you a picture showing the notch on both the camshaft and the valve cover. I'd post it here if I could ever figure out how to shrink my photos to be smaller than 19.5 kb but nothing I've tried has worked.