PDA

View Full Version : grinding noise when braking

Corey2kG
10-12-2010, 10:45 AM
For the past day or so I've noticed that when I slow down almost to a stop I heard a grinding noise coming from the front drivers side wheel well. Almost like its the spindle on the axle now I don't think its the ABS sensor cuz then I would have play in my brake pedal so I'm not sure what it could be. BTW I changed that ABS sensor last year. Any help would be great n please try n keep the off topic out of this thread. Thanks!

M-Rod
10-12-2010, 11:09 AM
how worn are your pads?

02redgalant
10-12-2010, 11:10 AM
how worn are your rotors?

RAZ_76
10-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Time for new pads. Don't wait too long or you will have to replace the rotors too. Might be too late already, depending if they can be turned or not.

Da_Prodigy
10-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Mine just started doing the same thin except it does it when my wheels rotate.

RAZ_76
10-12-2010, 02:18 PM
Mine just started doing the same thin except it does it when my wheels rotate.

Same thing.

RedGalant2k1
10-12-2010, 02:44 PM
Inspect the car.

Da_Prodigy
10-12-2010, 04:08 PM
I think my break pad came loose cuz I just changed my rotors n break pads about 6months ago. I'll find out for sure later on the week.

Corey2kG
10-12-2010, 04:25 PM
So heres what it is. I inspected it at my father in laws garage n I looked at the teeth on the spindle of the axle n some how the abs sensor got caught n is rubbing up against the teeth. I don't have an abs light on so I'm assuming the sensor is still good. The sensor is in one piece. So what I'm gonna do is file down some of that little magnetic thing n that should do the trick if not I'm gonna have to get a new sensor AGAIN!!! lol. Thanks though guys. My pads n Rotors are fresh BTW.

OhNoItsFelix
10-12-2010, 05:10 PM
Take off the wheel and check your rotors/pads. There is usually a wire that is attached to the pad that grinds against your rotor to notify you that your pad is low and its time to change them. That is probably what your hearing. Do it as soon as you can to avoid having to resurface/replace your rotors.

Corey2kG
10-12-2010, 11:06 PM
Take off the wheel and check your rotors/pads. There is usually a wire that is attached to the pad that grinds against your rotor to notify you that your pad is low and its time to change them. That is probably what your hearing. Do it as soon as you can to avoid having to resurface/replace your rotors.

Its not my brakes. I just hear it while I'm braking.

Da_Prodigy
10-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Its not my brakes. I just hear it while I'm braking.

The opposite is true for me, i hear it when i don't brake and when i do brake the screeching sounds seems to dim down a little more.

Corey2kG
12-20-2010, 01:23 AM
Ok so I still have the occasional grinding but now its kinda like a clunking noise I checked everything when I did my control arms n everything is tight so I have no clue what it could be.

Galantic
07-31-2011, 10:02 PM
Ok so I still have the occasional grinding but now its kinda like a clunking noise I checked everything when I did my control arms n everything is tight so I have no clue what it could be.

Did you ever solve the mystery? I have been having the same problem for about a year, when I drive slow and apply the brakes I get this annoying sound from driver's side front wheel.
I have put on new pads/rotors, sway bar links, bushings, new bearing about a year ago (due to excessive noise), CV joint boots are intact.
My Galant is a 2003, only 95000km, and it is in a mint shape, so as you can imagine, this is driving me crazy!
Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Corey2kG
07-31-2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah it was the abs sensor rubbing on the spindle. I filed it down n the noise went away.

Galantic
08-01-2011, 07:04 PM
Yeah it was the abs sensor rubbing on the spindle. I filed it down n the noise went away.

Thanks for the reply, but that won't be my case, I don't have ABS, to my surprise...
When I was buying my ride in 2005 I didn't think that there are cars without ABS anymore...well mine is.

Corey2kG
08-01-2011, 07:52 PM
Idk some dont have abs n some come with TC