PDA

View Full Version : 7G Header Heat Shield - Yay or Nay?

peanotation
10-17-2010, 08:00 AM
Such a trivial piece to discuss, but I've been wondering lately...should we keep our header heatshield on or off?

Heatshield ON
- It's there from the factory, says a lot
- Designed to force air up and over the top of the head, through engine bay
- Prevents radiator/condenser from heat soak during extended periods of idling/traffic conditions
- Traps heat underneath and block absorbs the excess heat?
- Cleaner look?

Heatshield Off
- Allows much better airflow to block and air to flow between runners, reducing ambient temps
- Saves weight - reduces trap times by 8-10 seconds, improves 0-60mph by 4-5 seconds
- Less crap to take off when removing header
- Cleaner look?

Let's hear it boys. I want some abstract theories and whatever bogus crap you feel is worthy for brainfood.

eclipsh
10-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Simple answer: hot gas flows faster. Keeping the heat shield there will help the exhaust gasses move more quickly and that means more HP. Obviously not much but why give any up?

The heat soak thing is important too. I was missing the heat shield for my O2 housing on my turbo engine and melted the driver's side fan. I had to go buy a new one and get a heat shield for the O2 housing.

reiketsutsukigami
10-17-2010, 10:14 AM
nah i say remove it buy some header wrap and wrap them up then your engine temp is lowered by a lottt and your e.g. stays hot too. i wrapped my headers and got a blanket for my turbo and man its the best you can actually work near them when theyre still hot and if you accidently brush against them your hand doesnt melt XD.

DOHCstunr
10-17-2010, 10:27 AM
Hmm...

I personally say you should start a more relevant thread. You know like the one that reveals all of the awesome stuff you have been up to yet neglected to share with the community.

If you leave the heat shield on, just make sure its not rusty and ugly.

mygalantwasfree
10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
I agree with eclipsh. Hot exhaust gases are less dense, and thus easier for the engine to push out the tailpipe. If you do decide it's ugly and you take it off, exhaust wrap is the way to go.

qnz
10-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Keep the heat shield. No one wants to see your ugly rusted manifold.

In all seriousness, the heatshield will keep heat from other parts in the engine bay

vdubdoug
10-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Keep it on. Uless you are going to wrap that manifold and downpipe.

RacerX4g64S
02-10-2011, 07:38 PM
It will kill your Alt because of the heat.