PDA

View Full Version : WHAT U NEED FOR A CAI **NEWBIES READ THIS**

MitsuMan
08-21-2002, 10:26 PM
THIS WAS TAKEN FROM A POST ON THE "OLD-OLD BOARD"

I remeber Allen had posted this and I figured it would answer alot of questions before they were asked.

THESE ARE THE THINGS YOU NEED TO MAKE A CAI
------------------------------------------------------------------

filter- filters the air so that the air the engine recieves is so fresh and so clean clean

Pipe- brings that fresh and so clean air from the filter to the motor

MAS Adaptor- Allows Pipe to be bolted onto the MAS so that fresh and so clean air can be monitored for flow

Pipe Fittings- Makes sure that the air the motor recieves is only the air that went through the filter and the MAS. It also holds things together

RedGalant2k1
09-02-2002, 02:59 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ViciousLord)</div><div class='quotemain'>5 Bucks says that they'll still be asking that same question, even after u did this

Dude its just a waste of Time! Â*

Thats why i dont even bother to post anymore

Like i said before this board is full of newbies
Im not talkin about u guys that were originally from the old board (which was better)

Sorry BGR, but its true dude, me and some other members agree
But ill be the first to say Thank you BGR for gettin all this setup (and im not being sarcastic either)

i just never thought it would end up like this, newbies everywhere</div>

do you have to be soo bitter about it? EVERY BOARD EVERYWHERE is always going to be full of newbies. Bite your tongue, clench your teeth and answer any question you can, or just point them to the necessary functions to find what they need.

Its sad to see people getting bitter about people asking questions.

Please get this back on topic, there is not need to clutter it with bullshit.

Thanks for the info MitsuMan i'm want to buy a 7G sometime soon.

Dark Anghell
09-06-2002, 11:12 PM
ughh...I'm new to this board...I wana hook up my moms galant. Can I install a cold air intake????? I don't know anything about cars though https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif

:!: I'm not trying to offent any people that are new to this board. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

packer13
01-05-2003, 03:14 AM
you might want to ask your mom first, she might get mad at you!!!

LOL!!!!!!!!!

pinoyesv6
01-05-2003, 09:01 PM
imma elaborate on this.

MAS adaptor. i've found 2 basic sizes. u got that big 4.5-5 inch ones, and then procarparts.com and parts of ebay have a smaller black one thats about 3 inches. i recommend the 3 inch one just to make things easier. nonetheless, the mitsu air intake adaptor for the mirage, lancer, diamante 3kgt, eclipse turbo are all the same. the ones for cars like the 6g galants and the 1g eclipses are different

filter. my two biggest recomendations for thei is either a k&n or accel's kool blue. nonetheless, u can start off with a cheap ass filter til u can get money saved up. just make sure that u get one that will fit the end of the pipe.

i really recommend getting the filter and adaptor set from procarparts.com its only 25 dollars comes with the 3 inch adaptor and a filter. good basic setup.

pipe. uhm i've heard of people using intakes from civic integra etc and slightly modding them by maybe cutting or putting them in a specific order to get it to fit. but from my experience, mandrel bent exhaust pipe is the cheapest route. u can get all the pipe for a cai at jcwhitney for like 30 dollars tops. just cut and paint wthe outside with high temp paint.

fittings. rubber fittings are nice. easy to get just go to the plumbing section of the harware store and pick some up. a lil tip with that is minus a half inch to ur pipe size and get that size plumbing fitting. the pipe u are using measures the outside diamater and with the plumbing fitting it measures the inside diamater and well the walls on a pvc pipe are about a quarter of an inch. .25 times 2 is .5. so yea. but i really recommend using silicon. its used for intercooler piping and such. RRE has some, hose techniques has some too but if u have a local dealer that sells injen products, get them to order some fittings for an injen intake. just give the guy the measurements and he should be able to get it for u. the thing i like about silicon is its more durable then rubber, won't crack and stuff, and also it stretches better than rubber. so that means u can have an easier time fitting a fitting over that oval back of ur MAS.

and finally, that breather nipple. u can just get a breather filter. or if u wanna stay more legal, drill a hole in the upper intake pipe. put in a rubber grommet and shove a half inch of plastic fuel line hose donw the hole u made. seal with some jbweld or silicon and slip ur pcv hose over that.

i must state this in big letters. <span style='color:red'><span style='font-size:25pt;line-height:100%'>ain't my fault if u f*ck up</span></span>

JiP
01-11-2003, 04:18 AM
Everyone was a newbie at one point in their lives people got to learn somehow...I learn something new everyday from car dudes online so...

But on CAI topic..If your a cheap bastard like me, youll take a peice of sheet metal and cut out your own adapter, take a 3" peice of PVC pipe and a PVC elbow put it all together and mount ur filter to the end of it. and NO pvc won't melt unless you have it sitting on the engine block, which your whole setup should really be suspended in the air anyway or fixed to the fender wall with a bracket. I can't easily explain with words how to make the adapter plate but its very simple, next one I make for the next friend who asks me I'll take pics and post a vfaq or something.

NOSMAN7G
01-16-2003, 09:26 PM
Alrighty I have a 4" MAS Adapter and a 4" filter what size pipe should I get to make the CAI?? I've looked at previous posts but didn't find ne thing. Thanx

JiP
01-16-2003, 11:35 PM
Whatever size works. Everyone does something different with their filters and tubes, I have a 3" PVC tube from MAS to the filter, then you know how cone filters have another smaller hole in the front with a cone going inside the bigger cone? I had a 2" flex pipe jb welded around that hole and that pipe runs through to the bottom bumper and points out of the side bumper opening to get the cold air shot in while driving.

And in your signature why do you want a 4g63t swap? You know you can use all the parts for a turbo from a 4g63 on a 4g64 right? The turbo manifold etc...they all bolt right up to the 4g64 engine. And you'll have more power.