PDA

View Full Version : codes stored if check engine light goes off?

maxpower
10-23-2010, 07:28 PM
06 Galant. Friday the service engine light and traction control lights were on. Next time I started it was only the service engine light on. Today that light was off too, I have an appt with the dealer on Wednesday. Will the code be stored for them to see what it was?

4g63lover
10-23-2010, 10:38 PM
yep. unless you unhooked the battery and reset it it will be in the "pending codes" section on the scanner 'til you drive it through the needed drive cycle.

maxpower
10-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Is there a time limit, or amount of starts before the codes are cleared? I bring it in on wednesday and would prefer not to waste the trip if they cant find anything out. I've got about 4000 miles left on the warranty on want to get anything fixed while I still can.

RedGalant2k1
10-24-2010, 09:50 AM
The codes if a 'soft' code would be in the computer anymore. "Hard" codes once set are in the computer for life. There is a set amount of key cycles that will automatically allow for reset of soft code issues. Sometimes outside factors can allow for these lights to go on. If you had a traction control light on, you should have also had a ABS light on, not a service engine light. But I'd suggest still going to the dealership and have them check it, because if there is a code set, they'd be able to pull it.

maxpower
10-24-2010, 11:29 AM
I had traction control, service engine and the traction control button did nothing. Upon next start the traction control button worked. Next morning I had service engine soon and tire pressure lights, tire pressure light turned off after about 5 minutes. Lowest PSI was about 29, I'd imagine thats well beyond the trip point for that sensor.

maxpower
10-28-2010, 02:06 PM
It was P0300 misfire. They suggested I start with plugs bla bla bla, I let them know the previous owner did plugs at 40k and got some more bla bla bla.

They claim Mitsubishi said the TCL light could have come on because of the computer getting the other code.