PDA

View Full Version : loud clunk in front end

chevyfan87
10-23-2010, 08:10 PM
okay, just got my 7g on the road. 1998 ls 2.4. the problem is when going over bumps, coming to a stop, or accelerating the passender front makes a loud clunk. i was told lower control arm bushing. but i checked it out and although there appears to be some play in it i think the noise is elsewhere.

you can actually kick my tire and get it to move and make the sound. if it is lca bushing how much of a PITA is it?

please dont tll me to search. been there done that

mko
10-23-2010, 08:20 PM
it sounds like either wheel bearing or inner and outer tie rods are shot.

its a common problem with the front balljoints as well. there was a factory recall for them, i hope its not expired

chevyfan87
10-23-2010, 08:23 PM
i just got my car inspected today. the guy did check ball joints and tie rods. those are fine. i didnt wanna fail so i didnt bring other probles to his attention. now when i had a friend kick the tore (makes the same noises and movement) there WAS noticable play in that bushing. and i also read alot about strut mount issues?

i dont mean to sound stupid... if you asked me about a full size gm product id know... this little foreign beast is kinda new territory

mko
10-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Which bushing exactly? Was the car jacked up when your friend kicked the tire?

the bushing where the shock fork mounts to the lateral control arm?

This control arm:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/images/product_images/images/mevotech/MK90266.jpg

chevyfan87
10-23-2010, 09:04 PM
car was not jacked up. bushing i looked at is listed is the "lower control arm bushing" mounts from lower control arm to chassis. im gonna jack it up in the morning in the garage and see what i cen tell

4-G-rim
10-25-2010, 06:50 AM
Check your front upper strut plate bushings..they are most likely worn out and why you are getting that "clunk" noise due to play.

There are bushings that sit between the strut rod tip and the actually strut top plate. The bushins are approx 1 inch in diameter. They wear out, flatten, and dry out over time and eventually cause play between the strut rod top and plate and thats were you get the "clunk" from.

KYB makes replacement bushings and are around $12 for a set to do one front side. There are 2 bushings..a top and bottom. Replace both sides is HIGHLY recommened.

Good Luck

chevyfan87
10-25-2010, 06:52 AM
alright. well i guess i know what im lookin into next. thanks bud