PDA

View Full Version : Crankshaft alignment mark 96 SOHC

raszpel
11-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Maybe you all can help me out. MY Chilton manual shows the crankshaft timing mark at the 9:00 position. But when I look out on the internet it appears to be at the 12:00 position.:spinner: I just replaced the head from a slipped timing belt and do not want to ruin my freshly machined replacement head. This is a SOHC 2.4 of course. Does anyone have any pictures of one they have actually done? Or has anyone done a belt replacement on the same motor of a 96 SOHC 2.4 that can give me a definitive answer on this. I have been stuck like a truck on this worrisome problem for over 2 weeks.
Thanks in advance.:spinner::spinner:

w/oarctic7g
11-03-2010, 09:55 PM
There is a notch in the crank signal wheel that you line up with the mark on the aluminum cover at about the 10 o'clock position.

peanotation
11-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Yeah i'd say it's around the 10 o'clock position.

On the crankshaft gear itself it's a triangle, and usually there's a backing plate behind it that separates the balance shaft belt from the timing belt, and on that plate there's a U shape cut out. Both of these align to the protruded triangle coming directly off the block. or the front case. or whaetver.

eksz
11-04-2010, 12:06 AM
pm sent

raszpel
11-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Oops I meant the Camshaft on the 96 SOHC timing belt alignment mark.