PDA

View Full Version : Buying motor/tranny mounts - please verify

jmonintwo
11-10-2010, 08:23 PM
Hey guys, I think I need motor mounts. I've read I may as well replace the tranny mount(s) while I'm in there. I've looked on ebay and see kits that have all the mounts together. I'm confused b/c I see kits with 3 and 4 mounts.

Which one do I need?

1999 3.0

The search terms I used in ebay were

galant motor mount 3.0

deeznutz
11-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Prothane 13-1903 all four inserts

jmonintwo
11-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Nice....thanks bro :)

RayDub
11-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I think it's ok to drop into this thread, as I recently determined I also need to replace mine. My dash just rattles and shakes and is more on the passenger side of the vehicle. And only violently when I am idle at a stop or whatever in drive.

I'm sure jmonintwo would probably want to know how to replace them, as I don't want to drop cash to have it done in a shop but rather on my own so I'll ask this. Would the instructions to replace them be in the Haynes manual? I have poked around the forums but not too much.

jubeiaire
11-10-2010, 10:18 PM
Haynes will not tell yo how to change the inserts because mitsu sells then with the mount.
if you have a vice or a straight press they are easy to replace without you might as well pay a shop to do it. if you take them the mounts and inserts off the car it APPROX $10 aper mount to have them press in the new ones

RayDub
11-10-2010, 10:35 PM
So you're saying a shop could charge $10 per mount i want replaced?

jubeiaire
11-11-2010, 08:42 AM
/Facepalm:

Step 1: Purchase new Inserts
Step 2: Jack up engine/tranny
Step 3: Support engine tranny with jack stands
Step 4: Remove motormounts w/old inserts
Step 5: Travel to a mechanic shop with new inserts and Motormounts
Step 6: Pay shop Approx $10 per mount to have them install new inserts
Step 7: Stop picking your nose your in public
Step 8: Receive Mounts with new inserts installed, thank the shop and then head back to your car
Step 9: Reinstall Motor Mount in correct Locations
Step 10: take engine/tranny off jack stands and lower with jack
Step 11: Drive car and enjoy the vibrationless ride.

RayDub
11-11-2010, 11:01 AM
Well thanks for the clarification.

DTP
11-11-2010, 11:05 AM
/Facepalm:
Step 7: Stop picking your nose your in public

^lol

jmonintwo
11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Hey guys....thanks for the posts and the heads up on needing a vice or press to change the inserts.

I'd like to go the route of just inserts b/c it's cheaper. I have a 6 inch bench vice. Jubeiare (and others who know), so you think I can get the old insetrs out, and the new ones in with a 6 inch vice? Thanks...

gtx
11-11-2010, 06:29 PM
You can also cut out the rubber, than saw through the metal ring (just don't cut into the alu) and hammer it out with a chisel. Not as elegant of a solution but it works. I'm sure we have a tutorial around here somewhere, or we used to at least.

deeznutz
11-11-2010, 07:05 PM
You can also cut out the rubber, than saw through the metal ring (just don't cut into the alu) and hammer it out with a chisel. Not as elegant of a solution but it works. I'm sure we have a tutorial around here somewhere, or we used to at least.

2x thats how i do it

jubeiaire
11-14-2010, 09:43 AM
you can use the vise to get new ones in just protect the rubber from the vises teeth. my vise has flip plates that go from notched to smooth. some vises you can buy a smooth set.

jmonintwo
11-15-2010, 04:13 PM
OK....thanks. Ordering the inserts now