View Full Version : Neon tubes

MidNightRacing
03-15-2003, 05:24 PM
My friend hooked me up with this 10 inch neon tube its the kind that can be a straight light of blink to the musice. It goes into the cig. liter. Would it still work if I cut that part off and connected it to work with the head lights? And where would I have to make the connection?

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-15-2003, 07:08 PM
I have the same type, and i cut the wires and stripped the plastic off of about 2 inches of it. But I hooked mine up to a switch. I would guess that you would just run the ground (usually has the stripe) to a ground of course. Then the power wire would be spliced into one of the headlight wire harnesses. Thats how I had it when I had my nozzle lights hooked up to the headlights.... let me know if it works for u

Khopari
03-15-2003, 07:11 PM
umm yea thas right,, but make sure u put inline fuse in that,, i dont know y would u do that but somebody told me,,, they say its safer,,,, :?

ChromeGalant
03-16-2003, 12:43 AM
You would put an inline fuse there just in case.. so you dont fry your neon tube, just blow the fuse if something happened.. I dont do that for cheaper stuff (neons, washer lights, strobes) but a must for all audio equipment..

JiP
03-16-2003, 01:52 AM
6" neon I got does the same, flashes to music or steady, I mounted it outside behind the grill so it lights up my front end blue. Wires connected to a switch so I can shut it down when the cops come by. I wire most shit up to the cigerete lighter lines, if anything blows it just pops that fuse no harm done.

MidNightRacing
03-16-2003, 03:56 PM
Ok its done. I just wired it straight to the headlights, But no inline fuse. I gotta get a second one to balance it out. I put it under the passengers side dash...... Next under the drivers side

bstnsportsfan
03-17-2003, 05:30 PM
In the future a topic like this belongs in: Audio-Security-Electronics forum. I wont move it now since MidnightES got his answer, but in the future I will.

pinoyesv6
03-18-2003, 06:28 PM
i should add a lil bit into this. do not, i repeat do not tap for power from the headlights. by doing so you will cause extra stress on the headlight harness and within a few months, burn up the harness. a more better way is to tap for power at like the battery and by building a circuit using some wires and relays to make the neons go on with the headlights

JiP
03-18-2003, 06:53 PM
After the initial startup of the neons they dont take that much power at all there really shouldnt be a problem.

pinoyesv6
03-18-2003, 06:56 PM
After the initial startup of the neons they dont take that much power at all there really shouldnt be a problem.

just trust me on this one. i've done that and so many other similar things. its fun watching the wire burn up though. looks like one of those cartoons when they light up the fuse for the TNT.

JiP
03-18-2003, 07:05 PM
just trust me on this one. i've done that and so many other similar things. its fun watching the wire burn up though. looks like one of those cartoons when they light up the fuse for the TNT.

LOL :laughing: