PDA

View Full Version : Can't find the downstream o2. 2.4L 2002

stonent
11-14-2010, 01:02 PM
This poor car is just showing its age. 2002 w/ 158,000 miles. A few weeks ago it blew the #2 spark plug out completely ripping the threads. I had to retap and redo the hole.
Oddly enough the o2 sensor error on the computer went away for a day or two but came back.

Anyway the code is the downstream o2 sensor is not reaching the correct temp. So I picked up a Denso 4 wire sensor but I've looked just about everywhere on the car and cannot find the downstream sensor. The upstream sensor is pretty easy. It's right smack-dab in the middle of the manifold.

I crawled on the ground on both sides looking at the exhaust system and traced it around but couldn't find it. Does anyone have a picture or an exploded diagram of the exhaust system they can post?

Edit: I found a picture of the wires going into the dash through a hole. Maybe that will help me trace it, but still wouldn't mind a pic.

jermyjerm
11-14-2010, 01:17 PM
You're gonna have to be under the car to find the sensor and to replace it.The old one will come out easier if the exhaust is hot,just be careful not to burn yourself.Better to torque the new one after the exhaust has cooled,like spark plugs.The sensor screws in from the top of the exhaust if I remember correctly,which is why you can't see it from the side.Once you're under the car,finding it should be a snap.The electrical connector is under the center console.

AktionCat
11-25-2010, 10:52 AM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a291/Memphisto7827/9cc44c4e.jpg

The flange on the very right...About 5 inches behind that on pointing up toward the car..Put some oil on it after you loosen it to make sure you don't strip cuz depending on how long it's been since u changed it, it'll be a bish to take out..it runs up to the left and under the E brake.

mko
11-25-2010, 12:50 PM
its behind the cat. On the picture, its way down the pipe.