PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover gasket oil leak.

Davidline
11-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Hello guys, just went to another mechanic to check out what's wrong with my 7G this time around.

Although he fiddled with scanners, and complained that my 7G is the first he's had in years and couldn't find a correct scanner I lol'ed. But eventually he got this code, TDC 11. And O2 sensor.

I get that my 02 sensor is bad, I'll just get another one some time soon. So he writes up this report word by word. "Engine consuming oil through piston rings, oil control rings worn out" and "Oil leak at valve cover gasket, Distributor seal leak.

Alright so from my understanding, normal wear and tear for the engine? And the fact that I'll be filling in oil every 1000 miles? great. Now just how much do you guys think I should pay for all of these repairs? or is there anything wrong about this and he's screwing me over?

eksz
11-15-2010, 08:28 PM
You did not say how many miles are on your engine or how much oil you are burning but as a rule of thumb you can usually ignore minor oil burning. If you are leaving a trail of black smoke as you roll down the road or your plugs are fouling out causing your engine to misfire then it time to do something about the pistons rings? Generally you'll spend more money than your car is worth if you have the engine rebuilt. Consider just doing an engine swap if the rest of the car is good. I've bought two 7g in the last year for $200 each. Both came with good engines.

As far as the valve cover gasket that is an easy and affordable DIY fix but again if you just have a small leak you can just ignore it. The important thing is keep the oil changed as needed and not operate the car more than a quart or so low. YOu can buy a lot of oil for the price of a rebuild.

All in all unless this car is something you plan on owning/driving for many years, just maintain it and drive it until it dies.

Davidline
11-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Mileage is 135k, the amount it is burning is well, strange, at one point it seemed like nearly 80% of the oil was just gone after a couple of days following an oil change. But after another oil change, that the mechanic did, it's been perfect.

Hey man, my G is special to me, no matter how much people say it's a worthless piece of junk, so yes I'll keep it even driving after it dies. And that totally makes sense :P.

And I think I'll just leave it alone for now untill I get the plans in motion to start working on it.

But thanks for the reply anyhow.

evil-G-nius
11-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Change the cover...it wont hurt. I changed mine and it helped. My engine drinks oil like Lindsey Lohan does lines. But mine I know is the damn piston rings, I am constantly putting oil in. I will eventually just swap the engine I think. For the valve cover gasket, get the one with the new rings for the spark plug holes too....that is another spot where oil can leak from. It is not an easy "one" thing that can make the car burn oil....its kind of a trait for these cars, so even if you fix something....get used to oil consumption

Davidline
11-15-2010, 10:57 PM
Om nom nom? Indeed.