PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy need help with this.!!!!!

Corey2kG
11-26-2010, 09:28 PM
Ok around 9:45pm eastern time I'm driving home n see this
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz203/holiday0808/IMG00134-20101126-2141-1.jpg
Temp gauge
Uh oh!!!!! So I start thinking thermostat hose popped off somewhere head gasket all sorts of stuff. And when I start driving again I see this.
http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz203/holiday0808/IMG00136-20101126-2147.jpg
Temp gauge
Finally when I get home I park the car n leave it running. Almost 10-15 seconds later sure enough the gauge goes up but doesnt exceed the same spot as in the first pic n the fans kick on n when the fans stop the gauge is back to normal. Now I checked underneath to see if there was any leaks I didn't see anything dripping. I squeezed the upper radiator hose n it squished all the way so that means the thermostat is open looked all around the engine didn't see any kind of coolant leak n didn't smell coolant at all. Now I'm not sure if this is related but my heat takes forever to warm up even when car is at normal operating temp. So this really making me scratch my head so any help would be much appreciated. V6 BTW!!! lol

reiketsutsukigami
11-26-2010, 09:37 PM
did you check to see if your just low on coolant?

Corey2kG
11-26-2010, 09:41 PM
How? I know the over fill tank has been empty for quite swome time.

reiketsutsukigami
11-26-2010, 09:50 PM
you might have been burning up the water in your coolant without knowing it try filling the overflow with just some water and let it run see how much it takes out ive had to fill my overflow quite a few times.

RedGalant2k1
11-26-2010, 10:12 PM
Looks to me like the temp gauge is in its normal range. Check the coolant in the radiator itself. As a precautionary measure, it would be a good idea to get the following services done:

Upper Coolant hose replaced.
Lower Coolant Hose replaced.
Thermostat and gasket replaced.
Both accessory belts replaced.
Coolant Flushed.

Shouldn't be more than $200-300. Be on the safe side. I just did all that to my G :)

reiketsutsukigami
11-26-2010, 10:14 PM
he said his reserve tank has been empty for a while. although i would recommend what you said and i just recently did all of that to mine i think hes still on a very tight budget.

RedGalant2k1
11-26-2010, 10:16 PM
he said his reserve tank has been empty for a while. although i would recommend what you said and i just recently did all of that to mine i think hes still on a very tight budget.

All the more reason to take care of the precautionary maintenance.

reiketsutsukigami
11-26-2010, 10:17 PM
true true.

Corey2kG
11-26-2010, 11:28 PM
Looks to me like the temp gauge is in its normal range. Check the coolant in the radiator itself. As a precautionary measure, it would be a good idea to get the following services done:

Upper Coolant hose replaced.
Lower Coolant Hose replaced.
Thermostat and gasket replaced.
Both accessory belts replaced.
Coolant Flushed.

Shouldn't be more than $200-300. Be on the safe side. I just did all that to my G :)

Well I can do it myself just have to buy the stuff :biggrin: lol. But I'll try what both of you said but I'll try what Scott(Reike) said first will do that in the morning Thanks

qnz
11-26-2010, 11:31 PM
you could just be low on coolant. Open the cap when the car is cold, and see if coolant is up to the top. Top her off, start the car with the cap off and even squeeze the lower hose to get trapped air out.

mrg7243
11-27-2010, 11:48 AM
i bet you are just staring to get low on coolant, . Basically if you think which takes longer to boil 1 cup of fuild or 1 gallon of fluid, so if you are low on coolant you dont have the fuild capacity to fully cool the motor. It is going to take longer to cool the motor since the coolant is traveling quicker through the motor(not quicker but the same molecules are getting over used) It still gets cooled by the radiator, but it is heated right back up again.

Corey2kG
11-27-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm gonna check now I'll update in a little bit. Thanks guys.

Stewi
11-27-2010, 02:22 PM
you could just be low on coolant. Open the cap when the car is cold, and see if coolant is up to the top. Top her off, start the car with the cap off and even squeeze the lower hose to get trapped air out.

+1

Wait until the car is completely cold, like after your done driving, let it sit for about 3 hours. Have about a gallon of coolant and a funnel ready to go, fill the coolant reservoir / overflow tank up about 3/4 of the way, remove the radiator cap, start the car, squeeze the lower hose and you may see air bubbles coming out, thats good that its coming out, stand there and listen, you will hear when the thermostat opens up, the fans should kick on close to the same time, when this happens, the coolant level will likely drop, keep filling it up until it doesnt take anymore and immediately put the cap back on. Drive the car around for about 15 minutes, park it, let it cool down for a few hours, then check the level of the coolant in the reservoir if its low, fill it back up to about 3/4's and repeat the process. You may need to do this about 2-3 times to get ALL the air out.

Corey2kG
11-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Well I did it. The over flow was empty n when I took off the radiator cap you couldnt see shit I mean empty emtpy. So I went with my brother to get some coolant. filled it up n its good to go now. BTW my coolant is DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY I'm soooooooo doing a coolant flush next week. Thanks for the help guys.

silversurfer
11-27-2010, 07:35 PM
make sure u put some water pump conditoner in it you will probally have to replace the water pump too, when u do the flush u will flush away alot of the contaminates and builduo. good luck

mrg7243
11-27-2010, 08:29 PM
^^^^holy sig size batman, have you not read the rulez???

water pump conditioner for what???

bronxbombr
11-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Well I did it. The over flow was empty n when I took off the radiator cap you couldnt see shit I mean empty emtpy. So I went with my brother to get some coolant. filled it up n its good to go now. BTW my coolant is DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY I'm soooooooo doing a coolant flush next week. Thanks for the help guys.

SO how is the car running now and is the heat pumping or still weak?

Corey2kG
11-27-2010, 10:03 PM
SO how is the car running now and is the heat pumping or still weak?

Its running good n the heat is working alot better. N the temp gauge hasn't moved from the normal spot. My heat is actually hotter on the low setting. I think my heater core may be blocked.

RedGalant2k1
11-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Its running good n the heat is working alot better. N the temp gauge hasn't moved from the normal spot. My heat is actually hotter on the low setting. I think my heater core may be blocked.

Why would you think that its blocked? The car can't produce heat into the interior cabin through the heater core unless there is the proper level of coolant. When the coolant is too low that is precisely what happens, no heat. Just follow that I've already recommended, start there, and most likely all things will end there at present.

Corey2kG
11-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Why would you think that its blocked? The car can't produce heat into the interior cabin through the heater core unless there is the proper level of coolant. When the coolant is too low that is precisely what happens, no heat. Just follow that I've already recommended, start there, and most likely all things will end there at present.

Thats true but on a high setting the heat output doesn't seem as high as the low setting it seems like I have to keep it on 1 or 2 for it to get hot in the car.

RedGalant2k1
11-28-2010, 02:26 PM
But if the heat works well at lower settings it isn't the heater core. Our cars have issues with the blend air door inside the dashboard. So, that also rules out the heater core.

4g63lover
11-28-2010, 03:04 PM
Thats true but on a high setting the heat output doesn't seem as high as the low setting it seems like I have to keep it on 1 or 2 for it to get hot in the car.

blend door issue.

My car had the same symptoms as yours a couple weeks ago. I flushed the coolant and replaced the thermostat last weekend and it went away. Runs good and the heat is HOT.

Corey2kG
11-28-2010, 03:49 PM
But if the heat works well at lower settings it isn't the heater core. Our cars have issues with the blend air door inside the dashboard. So, that also rules out the heater core.

blend door issue.

My car had the same symptoms as yours a couple weeks ago. I flushed the coolant and replaced the thermostat last weekend and it went away. Runs good and the heat is HOT.

Thanks guys I'll get on that next week I got a few things going on this week(my jdm heads :003:) n some family stuff as well the important thing is is that the heat is better n the temp gauge isnt moving anymore. But I'll be picking up the parts this seek for sure.

RedGalant2k1
11-28-2010, 03:50 PM
blend door issue.

Flushing the coolant and replacing the thermostat doesn't fix a blend door issue. The blend doors are a mechanical door that opens and closes when you move the selector from 0-4. If the vehicle isn't putting out heat you'd make sure first it has coolant, and the proper amount. If it still doesn't have heat after that, you flush the coolant, and replace the thermostat. If it still doesn't produce heat at each blower setting, then you replace the heater core.

The blend air doors failing duplicate a failed blower motor. If you switch it from 0-4 and it doesn't blow either cold or hot air, first check the blower motor as it is easier to inspect than the blend doors. If the blower is verified to be working, then you can check the climate controls, ensure the cables are connected and working properly. Then if still nothing, you will need to remove the lower dash panels completely to inspect and replace the blend air doors.

Corey2kG
11-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Flushing the coolant and replacing the thermostat doesn't fix a blend door issue. The blend doors are a mechanical door that opens and closes when you move the selector from 0-4. If the vehicle isn't putting out heat you'd make sure first it has coolant, and the proper amount. If it still doesn't have heat after that, you flush the coolant, and replace the thermostat. If it still doesn't produce heat at each blower setting, then you replace the heater core.

The blend air doors failing duplicate a failed blower motor. If you switch it from 0-4 and it doesn't blow either cold or hot air, first check the blower motor as it is easier to inspect than the blend doors. If the blower is verified to be working, then you can check the climate controls, ensure the cables are connected and working properly. Then if still nothing, you will need to remove the lower dash panels completely to inspect and replace the blend air doors.

Well I have heat on all settings though it seems hotter on lower settings to the touch anyways.

tamim13
11-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Subscribed to this thread. I have the same problem recently. My engine temp goes up to about 3/4 when I'm at a stand still or stuck in traffic, and comes down when I move. I have replaced the thermostat and done a coolant flush, twice. No air in the system, checked that too. It's definitely something else. Corey, you will notice after replacing the coolant, that the engine temp might not rise above 1/2 for a few days, but then it will start again. Did you recently do any particular maintenance to the car?

Stewi
11-28-2010, 04:44 PM
Subscribed to this thread. I have the same problem recently. My engine temp goes up to about 3/4 when I'm at a stand still or stuck in traffic, and comes down when I move. I have replaced the thermostat and done a coolant flush, twice. No air in the system, checked that too. It's definitely something else. Corey, you will notice after replacing the coolant, that the engine temp might not rise above 1/2 for a few days, but then it will start again. Did you recently do any particular maintenance to the car?

Your problem is a little different. If you already replaced the T-stat, flushed & bled the system, your at a point where either your water pump is on its way out, or your radiator fans arent working properly.

Corey2kG
11-28-2010, 04:47 PM

As far as coolant no last maintenance I did was a tranny drain n fill n changed mounts. But I noticed my overfill bottle was kinda empty but didn't pay no mind to it. N all of a sudden that shit with the temp happened n it took forever for my heat to warm up. I put coolant in n the problem went away. My coolant is dirty as fuck though n my over flow bottle is disgusting. anyway to clean that?

tamim13
11-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Your problem is a little different. If you already replaced the T-stat, flushed & bled the system, your at a point where either your water pump is on its way out, or your radiator fans arent working properly.

You're right, Corey says his problem went away after adding fluid. I did replace my water pump a little while ago (5000 miles) with an after market one (NPW), I wonder if that might be the problem. Anyway, let me not hijack Corey's thread with my woes, thanks for your input!

Corey2kG
11-28-2010, 07:24 PM
You're right, Corey says his problem went away after adding fluid. I did replace my water pump a little while ago (5000 miles) with an after market one (NPW), I wonder if that might be the problem. Anyway, let me not hijack Corey's thread with my woes, thanks for your input!

Its cool dude that's what threads are for I fixed my problem but apparently your getting input about your problem here so knock yourself out bro no problems. lol

Corey2kG
12-20-2010, 12:36 AM
Problem solved close this please thanks

DTP
12-20-2010, 07:43 AM
If you were a patron you could do it yourself ;)

Haha jk Corey

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk