PDA

View Full Version : engine overheats :(

maildennis2day
11-29-2010, 11:16 AM
i recently changed my radiator because of harline crack . yet when i turn engine on it gets hot in like 2 min . my fans died on me yesterday when i turned the engine on and put the a/c on to test the fans but the engine shutoff completely and when i turned it back on i noticed the fans didnt comeon at all
ive been having a problen with these fans for a while but before they died if i turned the ac on they would come on and off every 60 seconds . does anybody know a soultion i took out the fuse today 50A but when i look at it looks fine

ISMASG90
11-29-2010, 11:55 AM
Did u air out the radiatior? Take the cap off of the radiator, turn the car on, let the air come out of the rad, pour coolant/antifreezer. 2 inches below the top. Let it run for 5 mins at least. And then put the cap on the rad. That helped for me.

silversurfer
11-30-2010, 08:23 PM
you relay for your fans is bad or the temp switsh is bad have a test done on it it will tell you

maildennis2day
11-30-2010, 11:34 PM
what kind of euipment do i need and where do i buy it?

silversurfer
12-02-2010, 10:09 AM
none u just plug it in under your hood the relays box black box under the hood. take it to a discount auto or autozone they will do it for free

maildennis2day
12-02-2010, 09:12 PM
i took my fuse to autozone today and asked them to check it they daid they dont do that . how would i go about checking it ? i dont know how to use none of that electircal testing equipment :( . ive been paying my insurance for a month now without even driving the car because i dont want it to overheat and die .

Galant Evolution
12-03-2010, 09:56 AM
i took my fuse to autozone today and asked them to check it they daid they dont do that . how would i go about checking it ? i dont know how to use none of that electircal testing equipment :( . ive been paying my insurance for a month now without even driving the car because i dont want it to overheat and die .

It could be overheating from a few diffrent things. Your Fan relay like mentioned could be not working and your fans wont spin to cool down the car, resulting in over-heating. A simple way to see if you do not have any electrical testing equipment, is to let the car idle, when the temp starts rising slowly (DO NOT LET IT OVERHEAT) but when it slightly rises over half on the gauge take a quick look at the fans if there not spinning it could be a relay or the fan controller. If there spinning the fans are not the cause, since you mentioned the fans wont spin, or intermedly, replace the fan relay or controller and check to see if the car overheats again. even if the fans do not work, the car should not overheat very quickly, unless your idling in heavy traffic for long periods of time. Check the thermostat as well, if the car has a bad t-stat it will overheat. Make sure you have enough coolant in the radiator. How many miles on the car? did the car ever "completly overheat?" like steeming and what not, if so theres a good chance you warped the heat or blew a head gasket. Its a cast iron block and an alluminum head, the head will warp first.

A bad head gasket will cause overheating, and a warped head will cause over-heating very quickly. To check for a bad head gasket, bring the car to a place that can pressure test the coolant system, ensure it can hold over 20+ psi of pressure, if not you have a large leak or a blown head gasket depending on how rapidly the pressure decreeses. If you dont have money to take it anywhere and want to check yourself, you can try a few things.

Take the rad cap off the car when cold. Start the car and let the car warm up, if you see bubbles in the coolant, its exhaust gasses escaping through the coolant, this indicates a bad head gasket. Also sometimes there will be oil in the coolant wich will make it look brownish, or coolant in the oil. Check the dipstick, if its a milky color, its another indication of a blown head gasket, which will cause over heating. Good luck bro!