PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions For Those Who Have CAI's

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-17-2003, 07:42 AM
I just instaled my CAI yesterday, and I was wondering, what did u guys do with the metal pipe connected to the radiator that bolted up to the bettery tray? Cuz mines just hangin there right now..
Also, after I started my car after installing, it idles at 1700 RPM, and when i put it into reverse, the car jerks momentarily, thn the RPM's go down to about 1400 idling. Neutral, they go back up, Drive they back down. What's wrong with it?
Help??

Kain
03-17-2003, 07:50 AM
Umm, did you reconnect all of your sensors? Is your CEL on? That's the most common problem. As for the "metal pipe" are you talking about a part of the stock car, or a piece of the intake? I don't know of any pipe on the car, so I'm guessing you're speaking of the intake pipe. I'd try to find some way to clamp it down. Swinging pieces can get damaged or lost easily. Band clamps would probably work. Or, at the very least ghetto rig up some zip ties for the time being until you can do something better.

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-17-2003, 08:08 AM
i guess metal pipe is a bad way to say it. i'm talkin bout the hose that comes from the radiator, and runs up underneath the engine. it was bolted up to the batery tray in two places, and when i removed the tray, i had to unbolt that hose. it's kind of hard to explain with no pics... let me see if i cant go take some.... as for the sensors, yeah im pretty sure i connected everything that i had unplugged. just the battery terminals and the plug that went into the MAS right? BTW - wut does CEL stand for? thanks

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-17-2003, 08:27 AM
heres a pic
http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/3f02fda7/bc/My+Photos/CAI+Highlighted.jpg?bcP8dd.AS6r6GksC

on the right is the radiator, where the hose starts, and then you can see how it had to hole fr it to bolt to the battery tray, and its only layin up againt the CAI now. THe one highlighted in red is the one i question.

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-17-2003, 08:29 AM
BTW - excuse the dirty engine bay lol. it looks horible right now, i cant wait til spring actually gets here and i can clean it out and detail it.

2True
03-17-2003, 09:20 AM
I can't see the pic, but I know the pipe you speak of. I bent the shit out of it! https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif It's soft hose and some aluminum piping so I just forced it towards the fender well as much as possible. It goes with little effort and I highly doubt you can break it (hope manybrews doesn't see this, lol).
I used the mounting hole on the pipe to zip tie it to something,,, I forget what.

For the idle problem. reset your ECU and be SURE that the MAS is plugged in all the way. When I cleaned my throttle body one time I connected the MAS, but it started and rode like shiat. I fugured the car was adjusting to the new clean TB, after a few days I popped the hood and checked my connections. Pushed a little on the MAS connector and SNAP! it just barely not connected.
You didn't take out the hoeny comb right?

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-17-2003, 10:27 AM
honey comb's still in. as for the connections, i'll go out and double check now. thanks for the help.

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-17-2003, 11:28 AM
The plug is all the way in. How do I reset the ECU? Dont I just have to unhook the battery for an hour? Thanks

seth98esT
03-17-2003, 11:58 AM
unhook the neg battery, or was it positive? for like 15min, then hook it back up and go drive around real hard for a few minutes...

2True
03-17-2003, 12:31 PM
negative.

Your car will drive like crap for a day or so as the ECU establishes it's fuel map again... Give it a couple days and if it's still crappy let me know :thumbsup:

JiP
03-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Negative cable..but positive will do it to..and uh the metal pipe is the line from your tranny to the tranny cooler. Not a good thing to have kinked if you bent it. I dont have a battery or battery tray and I have that line just hanging there...it won't hurt anything. I plan to get rid of it anyway and just run 1 hose from the trany to the cooler wihtout that stupid pipe.

As far as the high idling...if your sure all the connectors are plugged in, I would pull the battery cable before driving it around. 1400rpm idle will not make for a happy transmissoin. Your gona feel the hard jerk when you throw it into gear. And also pulling the bat cable will tell u if its a simple ecu learning issue, or if the problem still exists its most likley somethin u screwd up during installation.

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-19-2003, 08:21 AM
alright guys, i drove it school this morning and had no troubles with it. it drives great now for some reason. low idle, no more jerking, and best of all, it sounds great. i cant wait to get the sound clip online. thanks for all your help. :wink: later

JiP
03-19-2003, 11:54 AM
I ussually panic after I do a mod when I see wierd response from the car even though I know whats going on lol. You just have to give the ecu time to adjust.

2True
03-19-2003, 11:37 PM
Good deal Mark. Glad the car is cooperating now :thumbsup:

Post up some pics of your new CAI setup!

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-20-2003, 08:16 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2True)</div><div class='quotemain'>Good deal Mark. Glad the car is cooperating now :thumbsup: Â*

Post up some pics of your new CAI setup!</div>

Will do, sooner or later

laxattack2001
03-20-2003, 08:35 PM
hey X7eyeHATEyou7X what kinda cai did you get?

o0 XeRO G 0o
03-20-2003, 09:00 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(laxattack2001)</div><div class='quotemain'>hey X7eyeHATEyou7X what kinda cai did you get?</div>

ummm.... i think it was the 92-95 civic/del sol short ram one piece intake. it fit right in, without having to cut the pipe or anything. i got it from eBay for less than 40 bucks shipped i think...