PDA

View Full Version : Current 8G Recalls... Just for info.

Galant_01
03-17-2003, 01:09 PM
#1 - NHTSA Recall No. 01V069

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has published a recall affecting certain 2001 Mitsubishi Galant, Eclipse and Eclipse Spyder automobiles manufactured in February 2001.

On certain passenger vehicles, a bulge in the fuel tank caused by the manufacturing process resulted in thinning of the material during a welding operation, increasing the risk of fuel leakage. Fuel leakage in the presence of an ignition source could result in a fire.

192 vehicles are affected by this recall.

Dealers will replace the fuel tank assembly.

The manufacturer has not yet provided an owner notification schedule.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#2 - NHTSA Recall No. 01V295001

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has published a recall affecting 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse and Galant manufactured between March 1999 - July 2000.

Number Involved: 25,803

Defect: On certain passenger vehicles built with V6 engines, the power steering fluid feed tube can come in contact with an exhaust manifold mounted heat shield, causing a hole to be worn through the power steering pipe and allowing fluid to leak. Leaking power steering fluid can result in a fire, and continued loss of fluid will result in a loss of power assist, increasing the risk of a crash.

Remedy: Dealers will replace the power steering tube with one having a new routing. The manufacturer reported that owner notification was expected to begin during October 2001. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#3 - NHTSA Recall No. 02V147

Mitsubishi America Has Recalled the 2002 Mitsubishi Galant because of potential electrical problems.

Number Involved: 3,378

Dates of Manufacture: May 2002

Defect: On certain passenger vehicles, the routing of the vehicle’s front wiring harness can allow it to come in contact with a rough edge, allowing abrasion. This could result in grounded circuits and a loss of stop or turn signal lamp operation or engine hesitation.

Remedy: Dealers will install a protector eliminating any harness contact. The manufacturer has reported that owner notification began July 8, 2002. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037.
#4 - NHTSA Recall No. 99V305

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has published the recall of certain 1999-2000 Mitsubishi Galant and 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse automobiles, manufactured between May 1998 - October 1999, because the steering column multi-function switch levers can become loose or break over time.

Loosening or cracking of the levers can cause directional lamps that do not self-cancel or operate, head lamps that do not turn off, windshield washers that operate continuously and/or windshield wipers that do not operate.

Approximately 101,400 vehicles are affected by this recall. Dealers will install a redesigned switch.

Owner notification was expected to begin during December 1999. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037.
#5 - NHTSA Recall No. 99V333

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has published the recall of certain 1999-2000 Mitsubishi Galant and 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse automobiles, manufactured between May 1998 - November 1999, because, on certain vehicles equipped with V6 engines and Federal emission equipment, the battery cable wiring harness can become heat damaged by the front exhaust manifold which could cause grounded circuits.

This circuit failure could cause any of the following to occur:
(1) the engine will not start because the main fuse will blow if the power lead is grounded.
(2) the low oil pressure warning lamp will illuminate if the signal wire is grounded.
(3) the air-conditioning system will become inoperative if the lead to the magnetic clutch is grounded.
(4) the turn signal/hazard lamps will become inoperative if the voltage monitor lead is grounded.

Approximately 20,000 vehicles are affected by this recall. Dealers will remove and discard a metal manifold bracket (from Galant models only - Eclipse has no such bracket).

Dealers will also inspect the harness. If the harness wires show no damage, the dealer will install a heat insulator along with heat resistant harness clips. If the harness wires do show damage, the dealers will install a new harness with pre-installed integral heat protection.

Owner notification is expected to begin during January 2000. Owners who do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Mitsubishi at 1-800-222-0037.

These are all the current recalls for the 1999-2003 Mitsubishi Galant.
Just thought I would put these here just in case anyone ever wanted to know without doing the research.

99BabyBenz-aka Herb
03-18-2003, 06:04 PM
I got a 99 V6 and my right turn signal just started to skip a tick you know that sound it makes when you turn tick tock well mine sometimes ticks but no tock and then its fine again?? wierd :?

Black Magic
05-06-2003, 04:32 PM
will the dealerships notify use cause i bought the car brand new from the mitsu dealership, or will we have to go down there and ask for a check up on these things?

clone2020
05-22-2003, 07:10 PM
Go here -> http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ ('http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/')

-Mike.

ChikagoGTZ
06-23-2003, 02:03 PM
call the 1-800-222-0037 and keep hitting 0 to talk to a real person. Give them the last 8 digits of the VIN # and they will tell you about any recalls for the car, and if they have been fixed (if you bought the car used)

ChikagoGTZ

:doubleup: Honda

edidas
03-11-2005, 04:25 PM
<span style='color:red'>Hey, just a quick question. Would the dealership notify you of recalls if you bought the vehicle from them but it wasn't their brand?? In my case, I bought my '00 Galant at the Ford dealership but the Mitsubishi dealership was in the same area, just up the hill??? </span>

pvu_rida
03-12-2005, 06:33 PM
naw dude your gonna have to call the 1800 number and give them ur vin number. Then they will put your name in the system and contact you on any new recalls.

edidas
03-13-2005, 01:01 PM
aahh, ic.. thanks.

krispy03
03-13-2005, 01:50 PM
damn im glad i got an '03. its best not to get a new modle car, should hait a few years so the kinks can be worked out.
(i.e.) the honda civic hybrid. gas/electric car, awesome idea except its always in the shop for recalls/repairs. if you plan on getting one i suggest you wait a few years till they get all the "kinks" worked out. my $.02

Insane99
03-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Good info. Only posting in order to have this in my post page so i can find it if needed. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

SkylineG1
03-22-2005, 08:26 PM
Just called and they added me as teh owner but good news, my car is cool.

krispy03
03-22-2005, 10:05 PM
should add intake manifold :evil:

Qs
07-23-2006, 09:03 PM
i agree,

my intake manifold cracked caus the bolting nuts are too long,

i saw some other peeps having the same problems

glantv699
07-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Glad this thread popped up....

My signal doesn't always shut off when i turn left and lately my HIGH BEAMS have been going on while the car is parked. The guys I work with always come in and tell me, your lights are on again!

I thought it was just the Galant getting old....but a recall- they should still fix it now right?

crisby_GTZ
09-01-2006, 08:15 PM
also, anyone have a problem with their front dash speaker? i know 3 at my collge, including me, with 02 galants where the dash speaker was busted...just wondering if anyone else here had that problem? i figure it's gonna be a fortune to replace so i just disconnected it..

kaimontec2003
09-02-2006, 12:57 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(krispy03)</div><div class='quotemain'>should add intake manifold Â*:evil:</div> :laughing:

Fishboy55
09-02-2006, 06:22 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(crisby_GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>also, anyone have a problem with their front dash speaker? i know 3 at my collge, including me, with 02 galants where the dash speaker was busted...just wondering if anyone else here had that problem? i figure it's gonna be a fortune to replace so i just disconnected it..</div>

The stock center speaker is crap. Mine blew as well, but I went to Best Buy and found a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch P132C speakers for $50. It's a 3.5" two-way speaker that kicks ass! Only minor modification needed to make it fit and cover it with the stock speaker grill too. Plus I have a spare. https://www.thegalantcenter.org/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif

http://images.cardomain.net/products/roc/ROCP132C.jpg

macknati
09-27-2006, 09:40 PM
The stock center speaker is crap. Mine blew as well, but I went to Best Buy and found a pair of Rockford Fosgate Punch P132C speakers for &#036;50. It's a 3.5" two-way speaker that kicks ass! Only minor modification needed to make it fit and cover it with the stock speaker grill too. Plus I have a spare. :D
http://images.cardomain.net/products/roc/ROCP132C.jpg

So what modifications would need to be done. Because mine went out a while ago.

Flutterbyfilms
10-01-2006, 11:01 AM
I'm curious about the speaker as well. Mine pops now when the volume is up too high. Thinking it'll be toast soon.

Fractal
11-09-2006, 02:36 PM
My headlights occasionally cut off by themselves, especially when changing from hi/lo beams. And I see #4 may affect my car. Can I still call a dealership to fix it?

I just called the 1-800 number, it seems that the switch was fixed in 99....damn.

6G72gearhead
12-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Old thread but I just read it and am happy to see that my car was not involved in any of the recalls.

WhiteGTZ01
02-03-2007, 11:13 AM
my center speaker went out to :x

glantv699
10-15-2007, 08:07 PM
So I went to the dealership saturday, and scheduled an appointment. The Mitsu guy was busy so they said call him up today. Well I did, and I got some weak ass news.

My primary concern is the 99V305 recall, with the faulty multi-function levers....my left signal doesn't self-cancel and my high beams come on if it slips the slightest bit into a forward position or whatever (hot summer day, expansion.....I had to jump the car several times in the past).

Anyways, the guy ran my car through the system and said the turn signal lever had already been replaced, 12/03. I bought the car used in 6/04. So I ask: is there any kind of warranty? Yes-12,000 miles (1 year)....well that's just fucking wonderful.

Windshiled wiper lever- COMPLETELY rocketed forward and I'm guessing a spring inside is busted, thank goodness my wipers still work but the washing function does not. This is covered under the recall, it has never been replaced, but he said it isn't showing up on there so he can't do much.

So I think I'll call Customer Care or whatever number he gave me, hell I just wanna get through to some part of headquarters and let them know I'm not paying for broken shit they knew would break....it's an inconvenience AND SAFETY HAZZARD to me (flashing the highs unknowingly at a driver....omgwtf?!?! accident?)

YEAH, so that's my rant and hopefully I can get things figured out. I'm tired of dealing with two crapped out switches.

Ruslik
02-05-2008, 03:05 PM
man thx my stop light blew today gonna go to stealer and get that fixed

lonestar22
02-05-2008, 04:44 PM
any gas door recalls

Mike_Rom
02-05-2008, 04:45 PM
any gas door recalls

yeah no shit! Mine is broken

fliegendaffe
02-05-2008, 05:06 PM
mine broke too when my dad had it, ins covered it and the metal one got replaced with a polyurethene/plastic one

fliegendaffe
02-05-2008, 05:09 PM
also, anyone have a problem with their front dash speaker? i know 3 at my collge, including me, with 02 galants where the dash speaker was busted...just wondering if anyone else here had that problem? i figure it's gonna be a fortune to replace so i just disconnected it..

what models/years of the 8g had the center speakers?

SentrikGTZ
04-15-2008, 09:43 PM
what models/years of the 8g had the center speakers?

I believe it depends on the package, but it was part of the Infinity Sound. Perhaps the GTZ and LS models, 02-03?

The center on my 03 blew out the first weekend I owned the car, I disconnected it. I've seen replacements go for up to $100 for stock replacement, which is crazy, especially if it's the same exact speaker. It'll just blow again.

Disco'd!

keta11
07-03-2008, 01:30 PM
could have sweared i saw a recall about 2002 galants..

SS8G
07-03-2008, 06:12 PM
could have sweared i saw a recall about 2002 galants..
random and i think you mean swore you saw one

therev
03-12-2009, 12:56 AM
lol @ sweared, i know this is an old post but im glad i just found this not only because its about Recalls but my gas mileage has been awkwardly bad...i figured it was a leak so ill get this checked out 2morro cause id really rather not want to go BOOM
~Gabe

troubled4g64t
11-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Don't know if anyone else here has this problem but my horn comes on and stays on on it's own the only way to stop it is to pull the fuse out and less the 6 months ago a guy down the street had the same thing happen to his galant at like 4 a.m mine is an 01 I don't know what year his is.

89bri
01-14-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm simply replying to this so I can remember to call that number sometime this week and check and see if my car's in the clear. It's always nice to double check lol

marcopolo23
12-10-2015, 01:19 AM
I just seen this thread and i think my car was in one of the electrical recalls. None of my exterior / interior lights will work without the key being in the turned on position. My interior dome light wont come on at all. Even if the car is on. Hopefully its not too late for a dealer to fix this

RedGalant2k1
12-10-2015, 09:53 AM
All recalls must be performed by the dealership at no cost, at any time, by federal law.

marcopolo23
12-10-2015, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the info . That's good to know hopefully its a defect on the recall list that is making my electric problems happen

FooseGalant
12-11-2015, 12:54 PM
I just seen this thread and i think my car was in one of the electrical recalls. None of my exterior / interior lights will work without the key being in the turned on position. My interior dome light wont come on at all. Even if the car is on. Hopefully its not too late for a dealer to fix this

Had a problem with the dome light on my 2000 V6 Galant. The car just died while driving in commute traffic. Had to have it towed to the dealer. Low and behold it ended up being the dome light failure. After the dealer replaced it the car ran fine. Got to love Mitsubishi Engineers.

KhaosGalant
04-11-2016, 11:40 PM
Seems there's only 1 recall for the 2001 I have a 2001 v6 ES model