PDA

View Full Version : removing passenger airbag

QnzMostWanted
03-17-2003, 09:20 PM
does anyone know HOW or Has removed the passenger side airbag in their galants? my dash vynil is coming off on it and i wanna fix it but i gotta remove it to do it....anyone can instruct me or link me to something that would help?

ViciousLord
03-18-2003, 07:07 AM
same here

manybrews
03-18-2003, 07:32 AM
unplug battery.
remove glove box.
unscrew 2 ( or maybe 4) mounting screws that come in from the bottom.
unplug airbag connector.

remove!

Kain
03-18-2003, 07:48 AM
I wouldn't mess with the airbag trying to "fix" it. You could get seriously injured. It's not that difficult to take out, but once it's out it's a sealed unit, that's basically a small bomb. You'd probably be better off just replacing it with a less warped junkyard unit, or a new OEM unit.

JiP
03-18-2003, 07:13 PM
I wouldn't mess with the airbag trying to "fix" it. You could get seriously injured. It's not that difficult to take out, but once it's out it's a sealed unit, that's basically a small bomb. You'd probably be better off just replacing it with a less warped junkyard unit, or a new OEM unit.

This from the man who puts matches out in gasoline. :laughing:

pinoyesv6
03-18-2003, 07:20 PM

and how would buying a new dash or a used one differ from u taking out ur present airbag for a lil bit and putting it back in? i mean u call it a bomb but isn't it gonna be like a lil bomb on the way home? the only difference is that possibly the airbag would be in the dash. but nonetheless, its not gonna have wiring going to it so ur still gonna have to wire up the bomb and "deactivate" it to turn into an airbag instead of that bomb ur talking about

Kain
03-18-2003, 07:35 PM
Removing the airbag isn't dangerous, but trying to dissassemble it is. If someone were trying to "fix the warpage" it would require dissassembly. I'm just giving caution that it could be dangerous. We had one detonate at work once cuz someone accidentaly kicked one that was sitting on the ground. He wasn't hurt, but if it went off near your face it could be dangerous.

JiP
03-18-2003, 07:42 PM
I've heard of poeple getting new airbags to replace ones after an accident and dropping them and they set off. I dont know if theres any truth to it..one of those I heard it from a friend who heard it from someone kinda deals. Chiltons does so to be very careful with it that it can go off without power.

JiP
03-18-2003, 08:05 PM
If the vynle just coming up at the ends just throw some hotglue down and case closed. If its somehow bubling up in the center well...I duno, get a needle and inject the buble with glue and press it down lol.

pinoyesv6
03-18-2003, 08:08 PM
i thought denver was tryna fix his dash not his airbag. and im guessing to properly fix his dash he's gonna have to remove the airbag from the dash to make the repair....

QnzMostWanted
03-19-2003, 08:14 AM
mine is coming up in the center, also my air bag is a little DOWN from where its supposed to be cuz someone tried to rip it off before, thus causing my glove box not to close all the way, i should be able to fix it with some glue if i can get it off