PDA

View Full Version : ignition switch

2002BlackDragon
12-12-2010, 01:52 PM
As many of u know i have a brother ( GalantDreamer3455) that i recruited on to the site. Well, he is having a little issue with his car. The ignition fails to turn when the key is in it. It only does it every once in a while and the wheel lock is not engaged. Could his ignition be going out or is there a simple fix for this?

M-Rod
12-12-2010, 02:15 PM
It shouldn't be an issue with the switch. It would seem more likely to be a problem in the lock cylinder.

2002BlackDragon
12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
What would it take to fix and/ or replace?

M-Rod
12-12-2010, 02:40 PM
I think the first step would be to remove the ignition switch from the end of the lock cylinder. Remove the column shrouds by removing the screws from the underside of the lower shroud. There should be 2 torx screws holding the switch to the cylinder. That's the farthest I've been in there. I'll take a look on alldata and mitchell1 to see if I can come up with the rest of the info to remove the cylinder.

EDIT: It appears the steering wheel and combination switch need to be removed as well. Here is the rest of what needs to be done.

Using a chisel and screwdriver, back out bolts at steering lock bracket. Insert key into steering lock cylinder, and turn to ACC position. Using a small Phillips screwdriver, push cylinder lock pin inward. Remove steering lock and bracket.

Installation
Reverse removal procedure. Use NEW steering lock bracket and bolts. Temporarily install ignition
switch and steering lock cylinder onto steering column. Ensure ignition switch functions normally, then tighten steering lock cylinder bolts. Tighten lock bolts until heads twist off. To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.