PDA

View Full Version : Pain Cost

P'NOYcaL
12-13-2010, 09:26 PM
My friend of mine who works in a shop gave me a 300+ (couldnt remember the exact price but i know around 300+) estimate for repainting my front bumper.

Rip off or no? i need your input please

Corey2kG
12-13-2010, 09:52 PM
If its dover white pearl then no thats a good price. I was getting charged 3000+ to paint my whole car.

P'NOYcaL
12-13-2010, 10:03 PM
lol i know for a fact 3000+ painting your whole car is rip off because another friend of mine is willing to charge me 1200 (im guessing a good price) for the whole car.

i hope to get mine done before or after christmas. hmmm now your making me think to just repaint the whole car

tamim13
12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Most of the cost is for the labour to take the bumper cover off, sanding, priming, painting and installing. Painting plastic bumper covers has to be done properly, or it will spiderweb and crack and peel for the slightest of mishaps that it is exposed to.

If you have the space and time, you should try to take it off yourself, prime it and just get it sprayed by a good paint shop, who won't charge you an arm and a leg just for some good quality paint. Then you can take it back and install it.

$3000+ for a whole body paint job is actually a reasonably good price for a real paint job (taking off all the door linings and everything and re-installing), sanding, priming and painting. If it's a colour change, it usually costs about $4000+. Again, most of this is for the labour involved, and the painting is relatively cheap.

If you go for a $1000 Maaco paint job, you're going to get some reasonably good quality paint, but some horrible prep. The paint will look good from afar, but if you get close, you will see the imperfections and it will crack/peel/bubble in a couple of years.

P'NOYcaL
12-13-2010, 10:40 PM
I agree. But keep in mind spending 3000+ for a paint job that's like the average value of our car 8g. Mine as well sell it and just get a better good condition 8g.

How long does it usually take to repaint the front bumper? Any experience on this considering the shop is doing it? I need to take days off at work to get it over with.

tamim13
12-13-2010, 10:46 PM
Yes, unless you have only 50K on the odometer, then it's worth spending the money.

In this weather, if the paint shop has a booth it would take a couple of days at the most, if you plan the appointment early enough.

My friend got his hood, fender and bumper replaced and painted in 3 days just last week at a reputable shop.

Corey2kG
12-13-2010, 11:21 PM
lol i know for a fact 3000+ painting your whole car is rip off because another friend of mine is willing to charge me 1200 (im guessing a good price) for the whole car.

i hope to get mine done before or after christmas. hmmm now your making me think to just repaint the whole car

This was from Maaco too! They said that three stage pearl is expensive but that was including all new emblems new heads new tails door jams under trunk n hood n new grille. But yeah thats why I didnt paint it thats a whole new car lol