PDA

View Full Version : Some advice before doing a rebuild or swap...

McLabia
12-17-2010, 05:34 PM
So, Im going to be picking up a 95 Galant LS tomorrow, and the guy is telling me that the car runs well motor wise, but doesnt move. I was wondering if there were any clues to look for to see what the problem may be. I havent actually SEEN the car yet, but for the price, I cant go wrong. It is an auto, and I believe its a 4 cyl, and not the v6, but even that Im not sure of yet.

My cousin has the Solus Pro 10.4 bundle from Snapon, so Im sure that will give us some clues, but if it doesnt, Im kinda looking for a bit of guidance.

This is what I know as of now. The current owner said that there were no intermittent problems, and it drove fine before. One day while driving it made a "Clunk"(His words not mine) and wouldnt move. Im not sure if it goes into any gears, but he said it does not move. Neither first or reverse.

Yes, I know this is probably very vague, but to be honest, Id rather hear worst case scenarios that are realistic, rather than get my hopes up that its a $25 problem. Id rather be surprised. So, any help that anyone can offer would be great. Ty.

mko
12-17-2010, 07:06 PM
most likely the trans is shot - Very common problem. Get the 5 spd parts and get it done. Its doable in a day. If not buy another auto trans, but it will go soon or later.

Most expensive part that may cause check engine light is the oxygen sensor. Pretty much everything else you can get from a junk yard.

McLabia
12-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I saw that 5 speed swap, and it looks a bit much for me right now. Im debating about just going and picking up a tranny from Pick n Pull that works, while building a manual and getting it ready for when the auto dies. I know that I want to go for that swap.

How hard are they to pull out? Ive read that you dont have to pull out the engine with it and that you can just drop it down on a jack. Any truths to this?

mko
12-17-2010, 07:29 PM
you have to undo all bolts on the torque converter, then all trans bolts, mounts, axles and its out

McLabia
12-17-2010, 07:30 PM
Cool. Thanks man. Ill post again when I figure out what the computer says.

eksz
12-17-2010, 08:48 PM
With almost 100% crtainty its the transmission. Don't be suprised if you don't get any transmission error codes when you scan it. I had an auto trans die and everything checked out (no error codes) fine except the car just would not move. If you car is a US model it has the 4 cylinder engine as that was all that was available on the US market Galants.

McLabia
12-17-2010, 09:08 PM
Yeah, its the USDM model. Im a Honda guy at heart. lol. I wish it was JDM. ^_^ RHD ftw, and the twin turbo model is sexy as fawk.

As far as the tranny goes, Im kinda expecting it to need to be rebuilt. I have two mechanic cousins so, it shouldnt take more than a couple hours for it all and they can get me parts at discounted rates.