PDA

View Full Version : Couple of 5 speed swap questions

eksz
12-20-2010, 12:51 AM
My 94GS has what I think is the original F5M31 DOHC 5 speed trans. I need to replace the DOHC trans with a SOHC trans so I can get the car back on the road until I find an affordable DOHC trans. I believe the DOHC trans has different gear ratios than the SOHC trans. The other notable difference between the DOHC and the SOHC trans is the DOHC trans has a clutch damper bolted to the side of it as found on an Eclipse or Talon 5 speed..

I have three trans I am playing with. All trans are embossed with F5M31 on the top of the trans and have the following numbers stamped on a raised wide flat spot where the bell housing meets the block. These numbers are:
a. F5M31 2VPZF RT2645 from the 94 GS; this is the trans that needs replaced
b. F5M31 2VPXF RE7512 from ebay (original source unknown)
c. F5M31 2VVXF SM4042 from the 95 S

QUESTIONS:
1. Will the starter from the DOHC trans work on the SOHC trans?
2. Will the axles from the DOHC trans work on the SOHC trans?
3. The DOHC trans has a clutch damper in the clutch hydraulic system that the SOHC 5 speed trans does not have. Is that a problem?
4. Will the trans speed sensor still work properly (i.e., will speedo/orodometer report correct speed/miles traveled)?
5. What do the trans numbers tell me, if anything other than the trans should be interchangable?

I assume the answer to questions #1 and #2 is axles and starter will work as all trans are F5M31. I think question #3 is the missing clutch damper will not be a problem and have no idea about #4 and #5.

peanotation
12-22-2010, 08:15 PM
1 - it should. the flywheels and starters should be identical. i'm not 100% sure though. i'd say 98% lol
2 - yes.
3 - no. you should ditch it anyways. f*** that thing. get a SS clutchline, direct from master to slave, and you will love it.
4 - yes, it measures speed at the differential ring gear, which is going to be the same since it's seperate from the individual drive gears.
5 - no idea. never knew them.

mko
12-22-2010, 09:22 PM
starter and flywheels are the same