PDA

View Full Version : Racing 7g can you find it?

w/oarctic7g
12-21-2010, 09:46 PM
This is me racing on the local dirt race track. You helped me keep it running and made it better. 3rd place for the year out of about 30 cars all having larger engines and much more hp. Thanks for your inspiration and information.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATayBVpNZI0

mko
12-21-2010, 09:50 PM
i dont see anything

w/oarctic7g
12-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Try again I think I screwed up on the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATayBVpNZI0

Galanttuner10
12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
looking like fun. maybe ill get a beater 7g and join u 1 day hahaha

G-spot
12-21-2010, 11:13 PM
badass!

Galanttuner10
12-21-2010, 11:43 PM
u know what, make it AWD and then go back

eclipsh
12-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Unless he's turbo the AWD would probably slow him down. Besides, the AWD swap takes a lot of work and I'd feel awful beating the hell out of the car after all the work I have to put into it. FWD is a blast to rally like that. I used to beat the hell out of my '94 Corolla doing that sort of stuff. FWD can really dig in and help pull you through corners if you know what you're doing. Nice driving :)

w/oarctic7g
12-21-2010, 11:54 PM
I would like to try that, but I am sure they would cry foul. It is fwd or rwd only your choice but not both. I think if I finally get the dohc done and the right 5 speed(3rd gear is way to tall for this track) it may be a little different finish.

kolio
12-22-2010, 12:15 AM
you know what would be sick?

do the 2.6 DOHC lol its a thing of myth. but all that torque would be fun so much power down low

or if you want it higher up, perhaps a destroked 2.1 you can rev to the moon then

looks fun btw!!!

jubeiaire
12-22-2010, 06:18 PM
GOGOGO #99...... seriously grats on getting her on the track and officially racing. and grats on making it the whole season to finish in top 3 thats not a small feat.

peanotation
12-22-2010, 08:16 PM
DUDE this is an awesome video! I'm very surprised the weak-ass multi-link suspension in our cars can take all that abuse! love the video......car looks so manly lol

seth98esT
12-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Looks like our local dirt track. We have a similar series, but it is limitted to 4 cylinders. For like the past 5 years, a Honda CRX has always smoked everyone else. He has a built H22A though and flys down the straights.

I'd say 9/10 of the 4 cylinder cars are FWD, very few RWD cars.

w/oarctic7g
12-23-2010, 02:35 AM
Wow thanks for the support. I was worried you guys would blast me for my rough looking ride. We just started a 4 cylinder class and I am sure that would be fun, but I would rather keep annoying the big boys. It is a bit more of a challenge but very rewarding when you can finish ahead of someone with as much as triple the horsepower. The suspension will never be as strong as a full framed car but probably as tough as they come for a unibody. The upper and lower control arms sure can take a lot of punishment whereas most other front drives will bend struts with even the slightest bump even the tbirds are weak. The next video on youtube(Derrik Coghill posted)was in 09 my first year racing, they gave me so much crap and pounded me every chance they couldd.

evil-G-nius
12-23-2010, 11:01 AM
Great job...with your 5 speed, do you have a LSD or LSD insert? That may help as well.

kolio
12-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Wow thanks for the support. I was worried you guys would blast me for my rough looking ride. We just started a 4 cylinder class and I am sure that would be fun, but I would rather keep annoying the big boys. It is a bit more of a challenge but very rewarding when you can finish ahead of someone with as much as triple the horsepower. The suspension will never be as strong as a full framed car but probably as tough as they come for a unibody. The upper and lower control arms sure can take a lot of punishment whereas most other front drives will bend struts with even the slightest bump even the tbirds are weak. The next video on youtube(Derrik Coghill posted)was in 09 my first year racing, they gave me so much crap and pounded me every chance they couldd.

anyone who actually goes out and competes in their car gets my respect. it's not supposed to be a good looking car, but a functioning race slut.

what mods do you have done to the car? suspension mods?

w/oarctic7g
12-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Mainly just externals no lsd yet. 5 speed swap, stock suspension except washers for serious camber, 1g TB and widened manifold, 326cc injectors, 98 header and cleaned out cat, no egr, bs belt deleted, power steering and ac removed and deleted

kolio
12-23-2010, 07:07 PM
how did the car respond to the injectors? what did you get them from? no other mods?

i know the stocks are 270's

w/oarctic7g
12-23-2010, 07:33 PM
90-93 B2600i it was great for me because I run probably 95% of the time at full throttle. It is probably a little on the rich side for a stock computer daily driver.

eclipsh
12-23-2010, 09:54 PM
If all you did was gut the cat you may see some gains by replacing it with a straight pipe or at least fitting a straight pipe through it. A big hollow chamber will back up the exhaust flow and give you back pressure you don't want. Or you may have done it right in the first place, I really don't know from your description.

What sort of camber gains are you making with the washers? Are you reducing camber in the rear to help it step out?

Galanttuner10
12-23-2010, 11:38 PM
i like the car man, do you have a lightweight flywheel? i think that could help as it revs much faster so maybe 3rd wont seem so tall for you, that and an LSD and build the 64 or at least dohc would serve you well

w/oarctic7g
12-24-2010, 12:07 AM
There is no exhaust after the cat so not sure how much it effects it like that. I guess I could experiment with a piece of pipe easy enough thanks. I didn't touch rear suspension adjustments just a bunch of positive on lt front and negative on rt front. I swapped brake bias front to rear one night and it was the cats meow, the rear set perfect in corners with the lightest tap. The quick avoidance situations made it difficult to control so I swapped back.

w/oarctic7g
12-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Sorry guys but the S 5 speed stinks on a track like this the gears are wrong just plain wrong. Probably comparable to pulling a long 22% mountain grade from a dead stop 2nd feels strong but 3rd is just to big of a gap. I think I will just go with a Fidanza, lsd insert & 1g na 5 speed and chain down the front/rear since there is no mount points(hey its free).

Galanttuner10
12-24-2010, 12:35 AM
Sorry guys but the S 5 speed stinks on a track like this the gears are wrong just plain wrong. Probably comparable to pulling a long 22% mountain grade from a dead stop 2nd feels strong but 3rd is just to big of a gap. I think I will just go with a Fidanza, lsd insert & 1g na 5 speed and chain down the front/rear since there is no mount points(hey its free).

with my leightweight 3rd up hill is fine and is a 12 lb flywheel not an 8 or 8.5. and all the galants had the same trannies and ratios, 2g gst gears are longer, awds in between the 2 and i dont remember the 1g fwd tranny gears.. trying to remember the 90 tsi fwd.. i swear it was close to what the galant has now

w/oarctic7g
12-24-2010, 12:47 AM
What, someone posted some tables once and I remember the 7g in 3rd is very close to a gst in 5th.

Galanttuner10
12-24-2010, 12:55 AM
What, someone posted some tables once and I remember the 7g in 3rd is very close to a gst in 5th.

i have the gear ratios side by side in my notes, the gst gears are longer except for 5th and the final drive ratio is longer

galant tranny F5M31

1st 3.166
2nd 1.833
3rd 1.240
4th 0.896
5th 0.731

final 4.322

gst tranny F5M33

1st 3.090
2nd 1.833
3rd 1.217
4th 0.888
5th 0.741

final 4.153

peanotation
12-24-2010, 10:43 AM
oh dude you gotta do the DOHC swap right away. the entire powerband is improved, there isn't one spot that lacks compared to before. it might just be 20hp+ but it's more than that......do it. now. i still cream when i drive mine.

by the way i'm still blown away the front suspension can take all that. just driving to work on paved roads (cali roads though, so thats probably worse than your track) i feel like i'm going to break every control arm.