PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning up the harness...

Galantman03
12-30-2010, 07:13 PM
Ight, many of you guys know that being an 02 03 and 5 speed swapped, your speedo doesn't really work. I've tried the other fixes and still doesn't work, so I'm going to be the lab rat to see if swapping the harness to a 99 will fix the speedo problem. It should in theory but idk of anyone that has done it. I have a couple questions, I wanna clean up the harness.. get rid of the auto tranny connectors, and sort out all the wires to the ecu plugs, and just take them out, the gray plug, black plug, and then the two auto speed sensor plugs? I think the 99 had these. and anything i really don't need. I need some help identifying some plugs, I tried looking out side in the engine bay, but its too fricken cold out and I am currently drawing a blank.
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx34/wileyman45/IMAG0151.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx34/wileyman45/IMAG0153.jpg
ok also the 02 03 have a different fuse box. and this is a 99 fuse box but I'm not to sure on how to get out the spade connectors outa here, any ideas?
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx34/wileyman45/IMAG0154.jpg

Stewi
12-30-2010, 07:41 PM
I dont know that the harness is going to solve your problem. I had some ideas in that other thread about the speedo and I was waiting on someone to get back to me with what I asked. At this point, I dont even remember what that was...LOL

Galantman03
12-30-2010, 07:49 PM
well I figured I'd give it a shot be the lab rat lol.... but I wanna clean up the harness for many reasons, and to mainly fix the 5 speed swap... If I put the harness in and it sill doens't work, new speed sensor, if it still doesn't work, evo ecu, if THAT doesn't fix it... EFFFF I dunno lol... but all the connections are/should be the same, the only thing different persay is the rom in the ecu to recognize the shift solenoids.... Idk lol i just wanna do something while I'm waiting for me parts

SPD_FRK
12-31-2010, 10:09 AM
Swapping out the 01-03 Harness for a 99 Harness will do nothing for you. The CEL issues are coming from the ECU itself, as in the ROM files.

If you are going to go through the harness and clean up all the crap, you might as well just start swapping everything over to run an Evo ECU. There is a lot in the harness that can get screwed up, so I would highly suggest you spend a great deal of time with the FSM Circuit Diagrams next to you while working on this stuff.

Stewi
12-31-2010, 10:15 AM
Swapping out the 01-03 Harness for a 99 Harness will do nothing for you. The CEL issues are coming from the ECU itself, as in the ROM files.

If you are going to go through the harness and clean up all the crap, you might as well just start swapping everything over to run an Evo ECU. There is a lot in the harness that can get screwed up, so I would highly suggest you spend a great deal of time with the FSM Circuit Diagrams next to you while working on this stuff.

I think his main concern was getting the speedo to work, but its 100% true about the CEL's they arent going anywhere with a harness swap.

Galantman03
12-31-2010, 10:19 AM

Nah, I could care less about the CEL right now, those don't bother me, I just would like the speedo to work. I also have the FSM right beside me, so i'm just getting rid of what was on the auto tranny that isn't used anymore, the solenoid plug, the two vss plugs, and the gear selecttion with exception to the pins 7,8,9,10 for starting and reverse lights.

I think his main concern was getting the speedo to work, but its 100% true about the CEL's they arent going anywhere with a harness swap.

Spot on, and I guess while I'm at it might was well just get the evo ecu harness connectors and swap everything over so I don't have to use the Boomslang conversion harness

SPD_FRK
12-31-2010, 10:44 AM
Even if you aren't concerned with the CEL on the 01-03 models, the Speedo issue also will not be resolved with the harness swap due to the ROM file on the 01-03 model. You would need to swap in a 99-00 ECU, or an Eclipse M/T, or Evo ECU.

The Evo ECU route is honestly the best route to take financially, and long term.

Galantman03
12-31-2010, 10:54 AM
I kinda figured that, so Ill be looking for an evo ecu, and just change out the pins on the stock galant harness and match everything up. Also need to find a need speed sensor for the manny tranny... Do the evo tranny and eclipse tranny share the same speed sensor?

Stewi
12-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Even if you aren't concerned with the CEL on the 01-03 models, the Speedo issue also will not be resolved with the harness swap due to the ROM file on the 01-03 model. You would need to swap in a 99-00 ECU, or an Eclipse M/T, or Evo ECU.

The Evo ECU route is honestly the best route to take financially, and long term.

Do you know where the speedo signal is interpreted? Is it in the Etacs or the main ECU? I thought if it was a pure 0-5v signal it could be sent to the cluster directly.